The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dangerous Music Convert-2. How does it translate outside the studio. Digital Converters
Old 6 days ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Dangerous Music Convert-2. How does it translate outside the studio.

Hi guys, been researching the hell out of this box. Plenty of great reviews, some say it's really wide and sonically enhanced. Others say it's not.
Pro control room and my main monitors are ATC SCM25As. Been using a 2192 and a Benchmark DAC1 since 2005.
My one and only concern, what the Convert is doing when monitoring. Will that translate? Improved monitoring always adds to the quality of the production, reason I mix on ATCs. Sure I will love mixing thru it but my studio is not a listening room. Mixes need to translate. Just worried that maybe some of the Convert love will stay in the control room and not make it out to the real world. What say you. Thx. K.

Last edited by kellyd; 6 days ago at 07:16 PM..
Old 6 days ago
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
bzone's Avatar
 

This is going to sound a little crazy, but, have had the convert 2 since it came out. I have a B80 Mothership and a B2 bomber ADC with their B32 and like mixing through the Burl and playback of the mix through the convert. I don’t like how my mixes translate using the Convert. But, I like playing what was mixed through the Burl on the convert. The Convert emphasizes things to my ears. I have had the new Burl DAC and I really like the clearness of their new converter chips.

Last edited by bzone; 6 days ago at 08:28 PM..
Old 6 days ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Interesting, so you like monitoring the mixes real time thru the Burl summer but on playback the Convert? I assume the monitor section of the 32 has a sound that works for you. I will probably mix ITB so don't think that would be an issue. I just moved back to the DAC1 over the Sigma monitor section for these mixes I borrowed the Sigma for. Monitoring off the 2 trk thru the DAC has more detail and openess yet a little uninspiring. Bottom being a little tite. One would think knowing Chris' background that his unit sounds amazing but not really hyped. Just really musical and detailed. Hope to have one next month.
Old 6 days ago
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
bzone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Interesting, so you like monitoring the mixes real time thru the Burl summer but on playback the Convert? I assume the monitor section of the 32 has a sound that works for you. I will probably mix ITB so don't think that would be an issue. I just moved back to the DAC1 over the Sigma monitor section for these mixes I borrowed the Sigma for. Monitoring off the 2 trk thru the DAC has more detail and openess yet a little uninspiring. Bottom being a little tite. One would think knowing Chris' background that his unit sounds amazing but not really hyped. Just really musical and detailed. Hope to have one next month.
I was mixing through the Convert 2 for a year or so. I just worked with the new Burl DAC last month and liked what I got out of it. I went back and redid several mixes with the new Burl and liked it better. But with a room full of people when the mix was cranked up through the Convert 2, it was a better listening device. I can't argue with that? I shouldn't say better, different, it compliments the Burl mixes. Both sound well in reality, the Covert 2 just seems to give it a different light.
Old 5 days ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Thx for the input. What is the new Burl DA. I know the sound of their current DA.
Demo'd one against the 2192 years ago.
Old 5 days ago
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
bzone's Avatar
 

Conver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Thx for the input. What is the new Burl DA. I know the sound of their current DA.
Demo'd one against the 2192 years ago.
They just came out with a new BDA4 card which I had and sent back for the new BDA4M. Goes in the Mothership with the transformer and level controls and the new chip. Check out their site. It’s really good!
Old 5 days ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I clicked on it on the Burl site and it's an error. I always considered the Burls to have some color so DAs they haven't been my first choice for monitoring. I have a Mothership. Guess will talk to Wil about their new one. Thx.
Old 4 days ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
bzone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
I clicked on it on the Burl site and it's an error. I always considered the Burls to have some color so DAs they haven't been my first choice for monitoring. I have a Mothership. Guess will talk to Wil about their new one. Thx.
Will rolled his eyes at me when I told him I was using the convert, LOL, He got me into the new BDA4, it is something to try. The BDA4M where you can take the transformer out is what I’m interested in. They can be very clean DA’s. Like I said the Convert 2 is great to listen through . Demo the new Burls see what you think.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Temposelect / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
pippismo / So much gear, so little time
0
Avantmidi / Product Alerts older than 2 months
26
TheOxmyn / So much gear, so little time
107
H.Prince / Music Computers
27

Forum Jump
Forum Jump