The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me choose a drumbus and master bus compressor pair for dance music mixing Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th February 2019
Help me choose a drumbus and master bus compressor pair for dance music mixing

Hi is anyone using either of these units for electronic stuff (hence asking here) like techno and house and also downtempo stuff?

Been reading reviews and watching a few vids and actually have the creme in a shopping basket about to click buy haha but wanted some opinions if anyone used them.

I’m About to get 2 decent compressors one for drum buss and one for main buss. I’m quite torn between the magnetismus 2 and elysia expressor for drum buss and for main buss creme or possibly the vari tube or maybe a Manley Nu mu.

The creme looks and sounds exceptional at the price and I haven’t read a bad thing about it.

I know for the main buss there’s a fair difference between the VCA style creme and vari tube and nu mu but like the sound of both but can only afford 1 per buss else I’d get a vca and vari style. The vari tube sounds really nice on electronic stuff I e heard too
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Hi is anyone using either of these units for electronic stuff (hence asking here) like techno and house and also downtempo stuff?

Been reading reviews and watching a few vids and actually have the creme in a shopping basket about to click buy haha but wanted some opinions if anyone used them.

I’m About to get 2 decent compressors one for drum buss and one for main buss. I’m quite torn between the magnetismus 2 and elysia expressor for drum buss and for main buss creme or possibly the vari tube or maybe a Manley Nu mu.

The creme looks and sounds exceptional at the price and I haven’t read a bad thing about it.
Among the units you have mentioned I would pick up the Manley Nu Mu. It's a different flavour of the Vari-Mu, grabs transient faster and it's not as coloured. The only minus is that it doesn't have an Input gain knob, so if you want to drive the unit harder you'd have to do it before the signal enters the Nu-Mu.

For the drum bass I would either consider an API 2500 if you want the focused punchy sound or alternatively take a listen here at 01:40 and see what two Neve 542 tape emulators can do to the drum bus. Freaking awesome sound.

Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post

For the drum bass I would either consider an API 2500 if you want the focused punchy sound or alternatively take a listen here at 01:40 and see what two Neve 542 tape emulators can do to the drum bus. Freaking awesome sound.
Yeh A 2500 is a good shout and i have thought about it but its so expensive its like £1700 more than an xpressor and £1200 more than the magentismus 2. It would pretty much smash my budget in 1.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Or for house (and for $150) you could get the offspring of the famous Alesis 3630: the Alesis 3632

Old 12th February 2019
oooh aah shopping for high end gear? exciting!
that's some very nice, but very different units. I don't have any, and I doubt you'll get a quick answer here.
I could move the thread to the "high end" part of the forum. if you want. but let's see what rolls out here first?

At the risk you've already seen and heard these, I've added some videos.
- Tegeler Creme: review sounds
- Tegeler Magnetismus: super interesting box, but this doesn't have the envelope controls of a regular compressor. overview and sounds Like Ourdarkness already mentioned, a pair of those Neve 542 would be an alternative. But I'd give the Tegeler a shot too. Good gear for the money.
- Tegeler Vari Mu: again this guy LOL or Manley Nu Mu: review I think that's a toss-up. No idea which one. I like the silvery sound of the Pendulum ES-8.
The Elysia Xpressor seems like a good quality discrete cell VCA compressor. https://www.elysia.com/hardware/xpressor/introduction/ One more thing: consider instead of the Xpressor to get an Mpressor? It's a really impressive box, very creative and has a tight sound. But I see the Xpressor is a LOT cheaper.
Those Alesis are nice for that house pumping trick. Useful to have, and cheap. if you get that Xpressor you'd have some overlap though.

What to choose? There's so many choices! I'm kindof curious how you came to your selection. But I think you're not far off on finding a good pair.
I was faced with the same choice about 8 years ago. I listened to a lot of stuff, and narrowed it down to a list of a few. There were far less options then, and most then was either super high end or low end, not much inbetween. Then I just looked in the classifieds section and took a dive in the deep end Ended up with an API 2500 for a very reasonable price and a Pendulum ES-8. I already had an SPL Kultube which is also a discrete cell VCA (very fast) like that Xpressor but different. Underestimated unit from the nineties. I really haven't looked back or wanted to sell any of these. I can understand that ppl. love Distressors, or whatever is cool, but I really found my sound. So, I'd check the classifieds. You could get lucky if you're patient.
here's some ads:
Kush Audio Tweaker
Crane Song STC-8M Fully Detented Mastering Version
TWO Shadow Hills Industries Mono Optographs
elysia mpressor
Vertigo Sound VSC-2

Here's another thing: Software plugins? Or combinations?
I use software compressors and limiters too. Really happy with the few good softwares I have, super useful, but I limited myself mostly to software that complements the hardware, not emulations. One exception: Slate buscompressor pack. I'd be lying if I said it was the same as the hardware, though. Hardware just grabs differently and breaks up different when pushed. So I'd check that too. How does it sound when you feed it a REALLY hot signal? Or combinations? Feedback loops? Got to have some fun, right?
Old 12th February 2019
Yeh man seen all those vids, the reason I'm interested in the magnetismus 2 is due to that video, agree re the lack of dedicated attack and release but there is a load of settings (although i cant see what the they are anywhere).

I totally agree re software and hardware. I have no issues at all using even Logics default digital compressor on all sorts of things but for a while now i tickle the master buss with MJUC or the new SPL iron compressor and all the times I've used decent hardware or recently, when at mastering, and hearing that extra 5% I've thought i need just 2 nice compressors one for main and 1 for drum buss just to add a touch of class right at the end and understanding why i want it/need it..

With more techy stuff ive sort of got a new way of working that seems to really open up and funk everything up by running everything but the kick into a buss, using a load of different things and smashing the life out of it as well but using comps with wet and dry and bringing it back then sending all that and the kick to another buss which is where id sit a decent hardware compressor just to add that sparkle and weight.

A prime example is this video (although its a bit tricky as he's matched the knobs and not actually maybe what the devices hard/soft are doing) but man can you hear the difference and that 5 %. It maybe an unfair test because they are logic stock but i dunno as i rate logics stuff quite highly testing against other highly praised plugins such as plugin alliance/slate etc

Old 12th February 2019

And here he shoots the Creme out against a proper SSL and pultecs. Really interesting result
Old 12th February 2019
Oh yeah, no worries about 5% difference. I'd say more like 20% in some cases. That's just my warped impression.
I guess that also has to do with the fact that mixing in the box is just really different from a desk. Gainstaging is different.
Logic's Compressor is very, very good. I like the Opto most, and the VCA settings.

The Magnetismus 2 video makes me really want to try it. Simple, fast VCA compressor (to level peaks), then tape saturation gain, plus 3 transformer emulations.
A Fatso or Kush fatso would be nice too. The american option for the same challenge.

I like the @ UBK designs. That Kush Tweaker secondhand is within your budget. (you'll need 2 for stereo). It's a bit dirtier than the Xpressor. Nice sidechain options.
YouTube
Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Oh yeah, no worries about 5% difference. I'd say more like 20% in some cases. That's just my warped impression.
I guess that also has to do with the fact that mixing in the box is just really different from a desk. Gainstaging is different.
Logic's Compressor is very, very good. I like the Opto most, and the VCA settings.

The Magnetismus 2 video makes me really want to try it. Simple, fast VCA compressor (to level peaks), then tape saturation gain, plus 3 transformer emulations.
A Fatso or Kush fatso would be nice too. The american option for the same challenge.

I like the @ UBK designs. That Kush Tweaker secondhand is within your budget. (you'll need 2 for stereo). It's a bit dirtier than the Xpressor. Nice sidechain options.
YouTube
The overstayer SVC is also on my mind as well for compression and saturation.
Old 14th February 2019
< thread moved >
Old 15th February 2019
bump
Old 29th March 2019
Just an update i ordered the Tegeler Creme today so excited to get that in.

Don't suppose anyone has used one paired with a louder the liftoff Silver bullet have they? Rather than another compressor I'm thinking of the silver bullet to use on tracking my HW synths and running soft synths etc out and running with the creme on the insert for main mix.

Last edited by digital 1010; 29th March 2019 at 12:15 PM..
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Just an update i ordered the Tegeler Creme today so excited to get that in.

Don't suppose anyone has used one paired with a louder the liftoff Silver bullet have they? Rather than another compressor I'm thinking of the silver bullet to use on tracking my HW synths and running soft synths etc out and running with the creme on the insert for main mix.
I have had the Creme since Dec. I love it, it really makes mixes come alive...I am also 90% sure that I am adding a silver bullet to the mix before it as well. I too am interested to see if anyone is using The Silver Bullet with the Creme.
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke M2D6 View Post
I have had the Creme since Dec. I love it, it really makes mixes come alive...I am also 90% sure that I am adding a silver bullet to the mix before it as well. I too am interested to see if anyone is using The Silver Bullet with the Creme.
Now on the fence re silver bullet as I've run out of I/O. I'm now thinking of getting the cranborne audio 500 ADAT unit so have a bit more I/O and adding the chromas as i dont really need the eq section as have the creme.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Now on the fence re silver bullet as I've run out of I/O. I'm now thinking of getting the cranborne audio 500 ADAT unit so have a bit more I/O and adding the chromas as i dont really need the eq section as have the creme.
The eq on the Creme is awesome, but it's only a boost eq. What I've ran across in my time with the Creme is that sometimes I really want some subtractive eq from my hardware. I was thinking that I would use it in front of the Creme ( going from interface into the SB into the Creme and just bypassing the unit I'm not using.)
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke M2D6 View Post
The eq on the Creme is awesome, but it's only a boost eq. What I've ran across in my time with the Creme is that sometimes I really want some subtractive eq from my hardware. I was thinking that I would use it in front of the Creme ( going from interface into the SB into the Creme and just bypassing the unit I'm not using.)
Yeh it was why I was thinking of going 500 so could get a couple of Chromas another eq and.....

Get pricey though haha
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search