The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEVE 1073 output/trim pot question Consoles
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
NEVE 1073 output/trim pot question

Hi All -
I have a pair of original 1073s that were racked long ago by Dan Alexander and are in sore need of potentiometer replacement.

I was assuming the replacement would have similar 10k specs as a standard console fader, but looking at the pots that are in the box now - the ones I need to replace - i see Dan used 25k.

Can anyone verify what the proper specs for the pot should be?

After scouring interweeeb, I am still left wondering.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi

Are you talking about output level pots... external to the module?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Thanks, Geoff.
Yes, external to the module... i presume in place of where the fader would be.
Not the stepped red, gain input knob.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi

The value of that pot has always been an interesting topic.

The 1073 has a passive high pass filter that's designed to work with a 5Kohm load. There is a 5K1 resistor inside linking pin K and pin E of the back connector to perform this function as the 1073 was never intended to use an external load there unless the internal load resistor was removed.

The 5K P & G fader in a BCM10 substituted for the load but, frankly,I don't know if the internal resistor was ever removed.

Dan obviously thought that using a very high value resistor there would have a minimal effect on the internal resistor.... dropping from 5K to 4.166K

But, frankly again, I don't think anyone bothers about the loading on the circuit and the small changes in frequency as a result, and they just bung a 10K log in there (-20dB at half rotation) or a 10K lin if you want a very gradual fade (-6dB at half rotation)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Great. Thanks again.
Very interesting. You think this'd have come up more often considering all the DIY out there.
The tech i normally use, Ike Zimbel, gave me a couple of Allen Bradley type J 10k potentiometers (JA1N056S103AA RV4NAYSD1030) to try in place, but they appear to dampen signal about a db when put in place of Dan's 25k.
If i understand it correctly, it sounds like you're suggesting the 25k might be a slightly better substitute than 10K?

Sorry, I'm a bit technically challenged here and IZ is on a well earned sunny beach far away for a bit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That's why I said it was an interesting topic! You are unique in having a higher value pot and fitting a lower value to notice the small difference.

Most just bung (my description) a 10Kohm pot in there and be done with it... I've even seen original BCM10's where the internal resistor was not removed and then driving another 5K load in the form of the fader... your 10K would have less effect than that!

I was just giving you a bit of Neve history to show the pitfalls of wiring pots into 1073's!

I'd personally go with Ike's choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Great. Thanks again.
Very interesting. You think this'd have come up more often considering all the DIY out there.
The tech i normally use, Ike Zimbel, gave me a couple of Allen Bradley type J 10k potentiometers (JA1N056S103AA RV4NAYSD1030) to try in place, but they appear to dampen signal about a db when put in place of Dan's 25k.
If i understand it correctly, it sounds like you're suggesting the 25k might be a slightly better substitute than 10K?

Sorry, I'm a bit technically challenged here and IZ is on a well earned sunny beach far away for a bit.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Then 10K it shall be... I'll go bung 'em in!

Seriously tho, thanks once again. So great of you to pitch in so generously around here.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search