The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87ai grill dent
Old 9th February 2019
Gear Head

U87ai grill dent

I recently bought a used U87ai which seems to be in perfectly good condition except for a small dent at the top right corner of the grill. I’ve never owned a U87 so I wouldn’t know how to tell if this is impacting the sound in any meaningful way. Worth trying to replace the grill, or would you not worry about it? I don’t care about the aesthetics as long as it sounds like it should.
Attached Thumbnails
U87ai grill dent-9e399b01-21f5-4800-9d41-7594c1d403d6.jpg   U87ai grill dent-31880fd5-dd42-4b1e-9dda-975765e0a619.jpg  
Old 9th February 2019
Don’t worry about it
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Could have been a drum stick.
And I would not be so cavalier about this: the capsule is the single most expensive part of this mic.

One of the capsule's diaphragm rings, which, at the upper end, are very close to the slanted basket, could have been in a whiplash accident: the edge of the diaphragm momentarily hits the inside weave of the basket on the rebound and forced deceleration, which can distort the diaphragm's tension and ripple it.

If you recently bought this mic in this condition, open up the head*, and carefully inspect the diaphragm surfaces for uneven tension.

* Instructions here: Removal of U87 Capsule Assembly
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Aside from checking the capsule...

You can use a wood cooking spoon to pop that grille back into place from the inside. Just get one that fits inside and give some firm pressure on the backside of the dent.

It’s not going to look perfect but you could get that more subtle.

It’s not so big of a dent that I’d worry about it if you feel uncomfortable doing it for some reason.
Old 10th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Aside from checking the capsule...

You can use a wood cooking spoon to pop that grille back into place from the inside. Just get one that fits inside and give some firm pressure on the backside of the dent.

It’s not going to look perfect but you could get that more subtle.

It’s not so big of a dent that I’d worry about it if you feel uncomfortable doing it for some reason.
I have seen Martin Gatherd in the UK (the Neumann repair Guru) get dents out of Neumanns - he used a large screwdriver that he filed and rounded the end so it was smooth and, with his expert hands, he could get dents out of Neumann bodies and grills so they were almost like new.

But it's a skill.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search