The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flock Audio PATCH Consoles
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Addict

Flock Audio PATCH

The Patch, I have been waiting for this for over a year! Viewed it at NAMM 2018. This 2019 it was there again and they have them ready for order. Just arrived, I don't know about anyone else, but I've been looking for a solution for physical patch bays and this is it. Had the SSL x-patch, but this is a whole different game.
Attached Thumbnails
Flock Audio PATCH-patch-front.jpg   Flock Audio PATCH-patch-rear.jpg  
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Look forward to hearing your report on IRL use. Also been waiting since they showed it first.
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Amazing
Old 5th February 2019
I'm curious how this is going to work in the real world.

I have searched the site and downloaded the manual ... there is no audio signal specification, no thd, no crosstalk spec, no frequency response or bandwidth ... you would kinda expect some lab tested info for something that is designed to be at the core of your mix, right?

I am hoping I just missed it and it's posted somewhere...
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
I have searched the site and downloaded the manual ... there is no audio signal specification, no thd, no crosstalk spec, no frequency response or bandwidth ... you would kinda expect some lab tested info for something that is designed to be at the core of your mix, right?
Same as every other analogue patchbay.
It's the equivalent of moving cables.

I've also never heard a patchbay being referred to as the core of a mix.
Old 5th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post

I've also never heard a patchbay being referred to as the core of a mix.
It is usually the core of your mix "decisions".
Old 6th February 2019
I bought the Patch and it's a total game changer. Using it on all my mix bus gear and it's been amazing in terms of trying different Bus chains at the click of a mouse.
A total game changer...
Old 7th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post

I've also never heard a patch bay being referred to as the core of a mix.
I have a hybrid workflow and I patch in effects on my 2 bus and some groups. So what I mean is that the full signal bandwidth goes through my patch bay, several times. I have had issues with cheap patch cables so maybe I'm a bit hyper sensitive to this topic.

I'm not in the immediate market for this device (busy buying other gear) but I do love the concept. So I will keep an eye on user reports.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Addict

Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
I have a hybrid workflow and I patch in effects on my 2 bus and some groups. So what I mean is that the full signal bandwidth goes through my patch bay, several times. I have had issues with cheap patch cables so maybe I'm a bit hyper sensitive to this topic.

I'm not in the immediate market for this device (busy buying other gear) but I do love the concept. So I will keep an eye on user reports.
I understand what you mean. It is very clean and functional at this point. I have a very complex hybrid set up. One patch handles all the inputs of your rack gear easily. I use no other patch bays for input. You can swap preamps, eq’s, comps, and mics with inputs to your ADC easy. A mouse click away. I think a separate Patch for the 2bus would be ideal if you have a lot of outboard for that chain. So far so good.

Last edited by bzone; 7th February 2019 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Simplifying
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
I understand what you mean. It is very clean and functional at this point. I have a very complex hybrid set up. One patch handles all the inputs of your rack gear easily. I use no other patch bays for input. You can swap preamps, eq’s, comps, and mics with inputs to your ADC easy. A mouse click away. I think a separate Patch for the 2bus would be ideal if you have a lot of outboard for that chain. So far so good.
Handles it easily? I love the concept and his execution so far on building a new company has been really impressive, but 16 i/o converters, 8-14 pre amps, eqs, compressors, 16 channels summing, 2 chan AD master converter, mic lines

the i/o gets gobbled up really fast imo - have tried to wrap my head around cascading them but its seems like a mediocre solution.

This thing will really fly when its 3x-4x the i/o (what I'll be waiting for)

on side note, anyone going to do a proper vid review? Only have the walk throughs provided by patch. Excited to see some user reviews!

Great work! Can't wait for the next models
Old 7th February 2019
This was my issue/concern as well, but I bought it anyway and really happy I did. 32x32
Isn’t near enough to run a traditional studio but it can take on part of the task. For me I chose to run the 10 or so pieces that I rotate around for mix bus duties, I imagine it could work as well to test mic pre , compressors.
Anyway, I literally can shuffle trough about 7 or 8 vastly different mix bus combos in a few mouse clicks, which is something I never did previously (used to be more of a set and forget sort of thing). I have found some unexpected combos of gear work way better then my tried and true.

Anyway, I totally agree , I’d love 192 point version to run all my gear but for now , I love what this does and I’m also happy to support the growth of this technology.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Addict

Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
Handles it easily? I love the concept and his execution so far on building a new company has been really impressive, but 16 i/o converters, 8-14 pre amps, eqs, compressors, 16 channels summing, 2 chan AD master converter, mic lines

the i/o gets gobbled up really fast imo - have tried to wrap my head around cascading them but its seems like a mediocre solution.

This thing will really fly when its 3x-4x the i/o (what I'll be waiting for)

on side note, anyone going to do a proper vid review? Only have the walk throughs provided by patch. Excited to see some user reviews!

Great work! Can't wait for the next models
I think it depends how you work. For me I use ProTools like a tape machine for inputs. I do program inside for VI's though. I have one patch with 24 inputs and outputs of rack gear with 8 mic inputs. Have all 8 going at once, swap eq's, comps, preamps, it mults as well. Quick set up for vocals choose between several mics for the artist, quick swap of all hardware with a click of the mouse, 48 volts on each input for SDC's. I take 8 outs and dump them into my B80. I use a Dangerous Liaison on my 2buss for quick button pushing and swapping of gear. I don't use inserts for processing in PT's. So for me a separate patch for 2buss and another on the front end for processing and another 16 inputs might work. I run some Slate monitors and other monitors so the screen is always up for me. One quick click done.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
This was my issue/concern as well, but I bought it anyway and really happy I did. 32x32
Isn’t near enough to run a traditional studio but it can take on part of the task. For me I chose to run the 10 or so pieces that I rotate around for mix bus duties, I imagine it could work as well to test mic pre , compressors.
Anyway, I literally can shuffle trough about 7 or 8 vastly different mix bus combos in a few mouse clicks, which is something I never did previously (used to be more of a set and forget sort of thing). I have found some unexpected combos of gear work way better then my tried and true.

Anyway, I totally agree , I’d love 192 point version to run all my gear but for now , I love what this does and I’m also happy to support the growth of this technology.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback - yeah maybe I just need to think in a more scarcity mindset and what patch could be good at now - trying diff combos quickly re: mix bus/over dub tracking chain

I think the 32 will have be an easy resale anyways when the bigger one comes out ... smaller project studios / non tracking rooms would want one still

damnnn - only on gearslutz you could come in to gripe and end up clicking add to cart
Old 15th March 2019
Crazy there isn't more of a buzz on this thing. While small, I feel it solves plenty little problems for many people.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Addict

You can actually use two of them running on the same software, they do not have to be physically connected. All good here with the patch. Have had a SSL X-patch for years. It can’t mult like this unit. If you dislike patch bays, this is the thing to use.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Crazy there isn't more of a buzz on this thing. While small, I feel it solves plenty little problems for many people.
From my point of view, i love this thing but its too darn small and too expensive for the footprint.
Even if i got 4 i couldn’t integrate in my system because of the diminishing returns in channels with each adding unit.
Its great for super small studios that dont have too much gear but it stops making sense in bigger systems (i have 480 i/o in my patch)

I guess thats one of the problems
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Addict

Yes for running 64 plus inputs for mics on orchestras, it would not be the ideal condition. At that point your going to need a board anyway. But, even ten of these things is a lot cheaper than a 88R .
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
You can actually use two of them running on the same software, they do not have to be physically connected. All good here with the patch. Have had a SSL X-patch for years. It can’t mult like this unit. If you dislike patch bays, this is the thing to use.
If you do not use some I/O for connection between two units you will need some other way to bridge equipment between gear connected to each unit.

If you do use 8 of the analog I/O on each PATCH, you would have 24 I/O paths on each available for other gear. So your effective I/O count is 48 X 48, not 64 X 64.
Old 28th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch17 View Post
If you do not use some I/O for connection between two units you will need some other way to bridge equipment between gear connected to each unit.

If you do use 8 of the analog I/O on each PATCH, you would have 24 I/O paths on each available for other gear. So your effective I/O count is 48 X 48, not 64 X 64.
indeed, but I think this product needs a different thought process, compared to a traditional PB. Let's say, you had several units connected between any gear you want to switch around. Connecting them with Signal Flow of the gear in the forefront of your mind. It becomes far easier to understand the usage of several of them, IMHO.
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Guru

Great concept.
Although Id need at least 400 patch points to work in my world.
a single 32x32 would never work for me.they would have to be able to cross patch between multiple units via usb or something
looks cool for mastering chains though.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch17 View Post

Yes,
Two separate chains, inputs and I use a Dangerous Liaison on the two Buss it has a Bus A and B to connect the two groups. Can switch in 2bus processing groups for a latency free bus or exchange any patch items to Liaison inputs.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Great concept.
Although Id need at least 400 patch points to work in my world.
a single 32x32 would never work for me.they would have to be able to cross patch between multiple units via usb or something
looks cool for mastering chains though.
I completely understand. You actually turned me on to this thing and I am forever grateful as it clears thing up nicely for me in the way I use it.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I completely understand. You actually turned me on to this thing and I am forever grateful as it clears thing up nicely for me in the way I use it.
Maybe he’ll make a high input version someday
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear
I'm running a 184 point TT, Lots of cash to automate that.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head
I’ll happily review it. I’m taking delivery of all the db25 cabling tomorrow and should be up and running and ready to play in a day or so.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve ordered one. I’m going to use it alongside an X-Patch and see how the workflow is. 32x32 is barely enough here as well, but I think I can make it work.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Love it. One of the best things I’ve ever bought for my studio. All my outboard is in action constantly, even with short setup times. So easy
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head
As promised:

Old 2nd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Parfitt View Post
As promised:

Great video. I own one as well and love it too but the handshake connection totally freaks me out also. They are great guys but with a small company it won’t take a ton of users to overwhelm the servers.
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Parfitt View Post
As promised:

Nice Video, work about the same way with much of the same gear. It’s a very intuitive and practical piece of hardware.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search