The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flock Audio PATCH
Old 2nd April 2019
  #31
Gear Addict
 
bzone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
Great video. I own one as well and love it too but the handshake connection totally freaks me out also. They are great guys but with a small company it won’t take a ton of users to overwhelm the servers.
This is a software that is loaded on your system. I do not believe you need to be online to direct connect with any type of server. I have had the internet go out and was able to continue working no problems.
Old 2nd April 2019
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
This is a software that is loaded on your system. I do not believe you need to be online to direct connect with any type of server. I have had the internet go out and was able to continue working no problems.
Yeah I just tested this, you are 100% correct. With my internet off it works perfectly fine.
Old 2nd April 2019
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
Yeah I just tested this, you are 100% correct. With my internet off it works perfectly fine.
same here
Old 2nd April 2019
  #34
Gear Addict
 
bzone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
Yeah I just tested this, you are 100% correct. With my internet off it works perfectly fine.
No worries, glad you tested it. It is so hard sometimes with all the new things coming out, you need to spend time with them to see if they really work in your set up and how good or functional they are.
Old 2nd April 2019
  #35
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
Yeah I just tested this, you are 100% correct. With my internet off it works perfectly fine.
Nothing is 100%.. see the attachment. I pulled the ethernet to my DAW and the moment I launch the Patch App, the following appears.

What version of Patch are you running? 1.0 had an emergency net-less installer. The Latest version does not (as mentioned).
Attached Thumbnails
Flock Audio PATCH-patch-app.jpg  
Old 2nd April 2019
  #36
Ah I’m stil on 1.0. Where I plan to stay until they dump the mandatory internet connection.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #37
Here for the gear
 

Why would they need to validate a software license when the software is useless without the hardware?

Very cool concept and will probably buy soon. Also hoping they drop the validation nonsense.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #38
Gear Addict
 
bzone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Parfitt View Post
Nothing is 100%.. see the attachment. I pulled the ethernet to my DAW and the moment I launch the Patch App, the following appears.

What version of Patch are you running? 1.0 had an emergency net-less installer. The Latest version does not (as mentioned).
Wow, thank you, that is good to know.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #39
Gear Head
Well here’s hoping it changes. The reg code as is is still useful to attach the unit / registration to the owner for warranty / support. Hopefully with enough user feedback they’ll modify it so it’s only that.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Parfitt View Post
Well here’s hoping it changes. The reg code as is is still useful to attach the unit / registration to the owner for warranty / support. Hopefully with enough user feedback they’ll modify it so it’s only that.
Every owner on this thread needs to message him privately about it. I had a chat with him today about it and he seems adamant it’s not a dealbreaker. I’m not buying something for $3500 only to not really own it.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #41
Gear Addict
 
bzone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Every owner on this thread needs to message him privately about it. I had a chat with him today about it and he seems adamant it’s not a dealbreaker. I’m not buying something for $3500 only to not really own it.
This would be a problem with me because it was not talked about at purchase. Once I have the software and the physical piece, like I have with the x-patch. I do not want any control by him or a server. This could turn into a legal issue.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #42
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
This would be a problem with me because it was not talked about at purchase. Once I have the software and the physical piece, like I have with the x-patch. I do not want any control by him or a server. This could turn into a legal issue.
Same, I just bought one, and it would be a deal breaker..
Old 3rd April 2019
  #43
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Holy crap, you have to be connected to the web to use it? I'm in the middle of nowhere, I loose internet ALL the time. That's a deal breaker for me, how have I not heard about that yet? I literally could not risk running that out here...


Last edited by andersmv; 3rd April 2019 at 06:49 AM..
Old 3rd April 2019
  #44
Gear Head
Please email them and tell them this! It’s important that they hear it from current and potential customers.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Parfitt View Post
Please email them and tell them this! It’s important that they hear it from current and potential customers.
What is the reason given by the manufacturer for the internet connection? Like already said, security validation is not necessary when the entire thing is based around hardware and is pointless without hardware.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
What is the reason given by the manufacturer for the internet connection? Like already said, security validation is not necessary when the entire thing is based around hardware and is pointless without hardware.
He told me he “can’t share the reasoning as it ties into a larger and broader product line down the road for PATCH customers” as well as submitting bug and diagnostic info, for which I know the app doesn’t need to phone home to do, one would just need to give it permission like any other app that does that.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #47
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

I'm guessing they want to integrate in a system where you can access hardware remotely (I'm in Arkansas, I can use my friends fairchild compressor in California). Probably some cool stuff in the works, but they ABSOLUTELY need an offline mode. I've gone through this with a handful or other manufacturers, but I'm not buying anything that requires you to be online for validation each time. It's ridiculous...
Old 3rd April 2019
  #48
GSF
Gear Addict
There is something about the lack of transparency with this product that does not sit right with me.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #49
Gear Addict
 

There just needs to be an option in the dialog box to work in offline mode OR better yet, settings that allow the user to decide whether to check at startup, at intervals or set the check option to off.

A quick update that wouldn’t require expensive interface, code and testing dev would be the skip option in the pop up dialog box.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #50
Here for the gear
 
FlockAudio's Avatar
 

Hi All,

I was notified about this thread and decided to respond. I think its important that this “network communication” concern gets addressed ahead of time prior to being blown out of proportion by rumors and further speculation... which seems to run rampant here on GS from time to time.

Your PATCH APP license is stored online in your Flock Account (Flock Audio Inc - PATCH System (Digitally controlled analog patch bay)). That way, the PATCH app can be used in multiple locations, with any PATCH hardware unit, even on multiple devices, with no cross integration issues. After considering all possibilities (keying to hardware, computer license storage, etc.), we felt this was the best solution that would serve the needs of the modern engineering community.

So if you occasionally travel for work to multiple studios with PATCH units already on site, the cloud-based license key allows you to seamlessly transition your sessions without any need to re-enter keys, etc. and the ability to export, import, create, store and recall routings with any system. Of course as an important benefit with this cloud server “PATCH also checks for important updates, diagnostics as well as direct message notifications from Flock Audio, upon launch

We’ve taken your concerns and suggestions into consideration for the next Version 1.2 rollout and will absolutely continue to do our best provide the level of customer service and quality you’d expect from us with future updates. We have some exciting announcements that include new feature updates and additional functionality coming to the Flock Audio PATCH System over the upcoming months as well.

We also understand that some off-site users may require “offline” application options and you have our word that we will work on that as an available update option with-in the PATCH APP Software….whether it be an alternate version or a clock that only checks on the license periodically on certain “days” (which is similar to other applications). I think its important to note as well that in each users Flock Account Dashboard there is a current offline version of the PATCH APP v1.0 that does not currently connect with our servers... which a decent amount of you are still using without issues to-date and you are welcome to continue using it until you feel comfortable to update or an offline version/option in the PATCH APP announced. v1.0 still operates and performs the stable functionality needed to control your PATCH Hardware.

Let me end off by saying... We appreciate and respect every single one of our customers who believed enough in us to allow Flock to deliver this industry changing piece of professional audio equipment, and without a doubt we will continue to provide a level of quality and continued innovation moving forward for years to come in our exciting and growing industry. The PATCH System has been a HUGE success for us and I’m sure many of our customers would agree one of their favorite new pieces of gear in their studios and workflows.

Now lets get back to patching and creating music!


Sincerely,
Darren N.
Flock Audio Inc.

Last edited by FlockAudio; 3rd April 2019 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: More clear, concise and to the point response.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #51
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlockAudio View Post
Hi All,
We understand that some off-site users may require “offline” application options and you have our word that we will work on that as an available update option with-in the PATCH APP Software….
Thanks for this. That’s really what users and potential customers needed to hear. Sure we can leave the app running, but that method falls flat if you’re out in the field netless and have to restart for whatever unseen reason.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Zero of our post production studios are kept online. We were considering the Flock for 2 of them to start (literally waiting for user experience reports.) That will now be killed for two reasons: one because the studios will not be put online; two this BS response of selling “customer experience” as the reason for this nonsense. iLok/Pace isn’t going strictly cloud based because they would lose our level of customer. We run closed networks. And there is zero reason for a network license when the whole thing is tied to a hardware patchbay.

Good luck finding a shovel big enough for this much bull sht. Worse than making a mistake as a company is doubling down on that mistake with obvious nonsense. The correct answer would have been: “We hear our customers’ and potential customers’ concerns and in the next version we’ll make the customer experience that requires internet access an opt-in option.”
Old 3rd April 2019
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Parfitt View Post
Thanks for this. That’s really what users and potential customers needed to hear. Sure we can leave the app running, but that method falls flat if you’re out in the field netless and have to restart for whatever unseen reason.
Your video was great and glad you brought this aspect up. The couple of examples you gave in the video were very reasonable.

It's rare, but even AWS and other massive cloud providers have outages. Not being alarmist, but "never will happen" isn't a reasonable stance to take either.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #54
Here for the gear
 
FlockAudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Zero of our post production studios are kept online. We were considering the Flock for 2 of them to start (literally waiting for user experience reports.) That will now be killed for two reasons: one because the studios will not be put online; two this BS response of selling “customer experience” as the reason for this nonsense. iLok/Pace isn’t going strictly cloud based because they would lose our level of customer. We run closed networks. And there is zero reason for a network license when the whole thing is tied to a hardware patchbay.

Good luck finding a shovel big enough for this much bull sht. Worse than making a mistake as a company is doubling down on that mistake with obvious nonsense. The correct answer would have been: “We hear our customers’ and potential customers’ concerns and in the next version we’ll make the customer experience that requires internet access an opt-in option.”
Yikes...

I said I wouldn't be back here but I feel at the very least I should respond to you Pentagon. All I was doing was trying to explain why we chose the network communication for the current v1.1 update and followed up that by saying that we understand some users need an offline version or option and "you have our word" we will provide that. If the customer demand is for something reasonable... why wouldn't we provide that?

Once again as expressed above, our customers and potential new customers voiced an opinion that they are wanting an offline version or option and we will be pleased to roll this into a next update.

Not everyone or company gets it right the first time...however, at the very least let us explain why we chose a certain path, hear your constructive thoughts/opinions and let us do whats needed to make it better and more fitting for everyone.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #55
Gear Head
I think the network aware part of it is great, and a good example of this is my Trinnov DMON6. Its always connected with France and they’ve been able to solve some issues on the fly when I reached out.

That being said, it doesn’t require web access to actually run... so I welcome the future mentioned PATCH update with that factor taken into consideration. It’ll widen your customer base for sure - especially the studio retreats and such that more often than not are in remote locations with slim to no web. Same goes for network lockdown situations - this is happening more and more in larger corporate studios, especially since the massive Sony breach a few years ago.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #56
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Ya, I'm happy to check back in when there's an "offline" version of the software. Until then, it's not a realistic option for me either (unfortunately).
Old 3rd April 2019
  #57
Guys seriously I asked Darren to reply to the thread because I wanted to make sure the intent of the developer was spoken here.
I can tell you these guys are awesome in terms of customer support and will do whatever is helpful to the customer including "new customers voiced an opinion that they are wanting an offline version or option and we will be pleased to roll this into a next update."

As a customer, what else could you ask for then to point out an issue and have the developer say it will be immediately addressed.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #58
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Ya, I'm happy to check back in when there's an "offline" version of the software. Until then, it's not a realistic option for me either (unfortunately).
There is, for v1.0 available on the site. There’s the regular and an emergency offline version installer. I downloaded both.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #59
Gear Addict
 
bzone's Avatar
 

Flock got in touch with me yesterday and appreciated the closed network concept as we have heard already. They will make the option for both which will keep me happy and allow options for the future. Great for me when international as well when in the states. I am grateful for their concern and getting it handled immediately.
Old 3rd April 2019
  #60
Hey Darren, have you thought about making a hardware remote touch screen box for it?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
FlockAudio / New Products - Coming soon
98
ufovin / Songwriting
2
edit machine / So Much Gear, So Little Time
8
toolskid / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump