The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brauner Phantera vs Josephson C716 Condenser Microphones
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Brauner Phantera vs Josephson C716

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with comparing Brauner Phantera, Josephson C716 (and maybe Gefell M930/920)?
I know they come in at quite different price points, but I am wondering as both Brauner and Josephson seem to operate in similar ways with incredible sound quality.
Most threads about the phantera have links that have long since expired but what I have heard has been great.
Looking for a mic for voice and also instruments.
Brauner seems to sound more right and transparent in any comparison I've heard, even compared to fancy AKG, Schoeps, Neumanns, you name it.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Standard GS answer... Get both!

The J 716 sounded terrific when I tried it at the recent NAMM>

And I agree the Phanthera sounds great on every clip I've heard.

Tough choice, and you know the 'ol advice about trying each where you're at.

Chris
Old 4th February 2019
the Josephson is several orders higher fidelity than the Phantera. It is wider, deeper and more pure sounding. It is amazingly transparent sounding, almost like the player is in the room with you on playback. The Phantera compares more with a U-87, albeit slightly less grainy in the mids and a little shinier.

The Josephson has a CK12 style capsule, with the same amplifier circuit as their C700S. the only difference is the electronically configured cardioid pattern and their unique metal foam head.
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Tough choice, and you know the 'ol advice about trying each where you're at.
This the trouble, I don't think I can demo either where I am in Canada (Nova Scotia), noone has them in stock but buying both in and either re-selling or losing a restocking fee would be somewhere in the region of $500-1000 aha.
If anyone has either in US or Canada or knows a shop who would loan/rent me either, I'm all ears.
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
the Josephson is several orders higher fidelity than the Phantera. It is wider, deeper and more pure sounding. It is amazingly transparent sounding, almost like the player is in the room with you on playback. The Phantera compares more with a U-87, albeit slightly less grainy in the mids and a little shinier.

The Josephson has a CK12 style capsule, with the same amplifier circuit as their C700S. the only difference is the electronically configured cardioid pattern and their unique metal foam head.
thank you! Very well delineated. Maybe at that price I should just be deciding between josephson and brauner valvet x, mostly pipe dreams, but I have a few jobs coming up...
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Nut

To me the c716 is more in the VMX/VMX range.
Tried both side by side.
The VMX was more upfront, pop sounding.
Nice on vocals and some instruments, not drums imo
The C716 is a bit softer but works on everything.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search