The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Modern Analog Consoles... DAW screen and keyboard integrated
Old 3rd February 2019
Modern Analog Consoles... DAW screen and keyboard integrated

Ok, it's 2019.
Even the most hardcore analog hardware people are using their gear with a DAW.

I'm starting this thread as a discussion about consoles that let you sit in the sweet spot at the console and get to your analog faders and PT without looking to the side for the screen or pulling a screen in on an arm that is interfering with your speakers.

Neve Genesys Black is about the foremost version of this offered stock from the factory. I've seen new API's that have been configured to accommodate a monitor and a keyboard in the center section. Also Daking and Wunder. Audient offers DAW control but no real spot for that monitor.

Does anybody really like rolling their chair over to the side to get to their digital rig in 2019?
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Wondering why the arm is an issue?

I've been in studios with the arm clamped dead center of the console (rear-side) so that the screen is pulled over the mix desk and "floats" over the center -- not to the side or blocking speakers. The keyboard was just placed on the elbow-rest padded area with the scroll ball. (actually, an area was cut out to hold that.) Directly over and centered with the master section of the desk. Not a big deal and if the client wanted no screens, then just unclamped the screen/arm and moved it over to a side. (Neve 88RS)
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Use wireless keyboard and mouse. Video monitor(s) can be mounted many ways with large screen size LCD TV’s farther back as a popular option.
Old 4th February 2019
The DAW is a full time part of the work flow.
I think it's nuts that more new consoles don't have real integration.
Monitor arm and wireless keyboards are a "fix".

Why not get it right from the start?
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Head

My argument would be that those technologies don't age well, and having them external ensures my console won't have a large amount of electronics that are useless in 10-15 years when all of the standards changed.
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Nut

If you are buying a new console, they all pretty much have options for custom 'producers' or outboard panels. Traditionally they tended to go at one end but there shouldn't be much problem putting one in the middle. My Neve Custom75 has an adapted dual 19" rack bucket in the middle which I've put a 38" widescreen into.
This works for me - I can record and edit to the daw easily, my right hand is close to the desks control panel and volume knob, and it sits 'in' the console so doesn't protrude above the console top into the speakers.
However if you were mainly mixing it might be a bit annoying as it does push the channels further away from you.
Attached Thumbnails
Modern Analog Consoles... DAW screen and keyboard integrated-img_1755.jpg  
Old 4th February 2019
Shut off the screen and the analog console becomes intuitive. Stare at a screen and you end up using the wrong side of your brain.
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Maniac

How about mixing with VR goggles on, so the “screen” is anywhere you look? Lol.

The Neve Genesys Black is designed around giving you physical control over plugins and DAWs. That is different from the question of where to put the screen and keyboard in a setup with an analog console.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoenyc View Post
Ok, it's 2019.
Even the most hardcore analog hardware people are using their gear with a DAW.

I'm starting this thread as a discussion about consoles that let you sit in the sweet spot at the console and get to your analog faders and PT without looking to the side for the screen or pulling a screen in on an arm that is interfering with your speakers.

Neve Genesys Black is about the foremost version of this offered stock from the factory. I've seen new API's that have been configured to accommodate a monitor and a keyboard in the center section. Also Daking and Wunder. Audient offers DAW control but no real spot for that monitor.

Does anybody really like rolling their chair over to the side to get to their digital rig in 2019?
Your post makes no sense to me.

If a display is at the center section of s console (you mention genesys), you have to veer your attention (and eyes) hard left/right to work the console knobs....and all the left/right faders....now your eyes are no longer on the display and the display is in the way.

If you're not working the console faders/knobs by ear etc, what is it exactly that you want to "look" at on the display? Can't be levels cuz hey, those are at the console over there left/right where all your faders/knobs are.

Maybe you're only working 8 faders directly in front of the display and have your eyes on the display....so why do you have a console? You're gonna have to swing your head/attention left/right cuz...your display is blocking everything except those center 8 faders (well....ain't no knobs there cuz the display takes up the space.)

Face it, you have to swivel around in any scenario of mixer + display. I think Neve is shaking their heads and laughing while providing a concept that really makes no sense.

The free-arm display can certainly be good for doing sub-bounce comps on groups of faders while also possibly editing daw tracks, cut/paste stuff etc. Me, I just swivel my chair from console to daw as needed. I don't look at the daw if I'm purely mixing at the console .

Nothing is solved by planting a display in the center of a mixer...especially when it uproots all the channels that would otherwise be in view.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Couple of screens on the monitor bridge, hanging a big 4k TV above them soon. Keyboard and mouse have options, usually the arm rest and the bay or a rack beside the mixer. An iPad (or my phone) running DAW Remote handles transport functions, not really fond of how it covers a buncha EQs or the bay but I like that it's wireless (and cheap) and doubles as a remote for FX. The only thing that pulls me away from mix position is the outboard and that's only a 2 foot drive. To get this kind of screen real estate in a mixer would push the actual mixer too far off to the sides. My mixer is already 7 1/2 feet wide and I can still adjust the trim knob on input 1 with an easy lean and no driving. That's about as big as I would want it.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

i mix on desks, analog or digital - i do NOT want any monitors, mouse, cats or dogs in between me and all the knobs and faders.

if working analog, i don't need any screen (exept for my goniometer), all i need to see are the bargraph meters on my meterbridge and the vu meters on my tape machine.

if working digital, the screens better be touch screens or even better, touch screens with knobs built in.
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Nut
Having a screen inside the console makes my neck hurt. I rather have a monitor arm.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search