The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer A827 Calibration DAW Software
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear

Studer A827 Calibration

Well, I've searched high and low and can't seem to find any solid info on the above... calibrating an A827.

I've used tape machines a good bit in the past, particularly A800s, but never an 827. I'm aware that they're able to store calibration settings for different tape formulations, but I can't seem to find any information anywhere, including the manual, on how to go about initially DOING the calibration.

The studio where I'm doing the session has a number of calibration settings saved in a Pro Tools session that are able to be loaded onto the machine, but none for the tape formulation I'm going to be using, which is Emtec 911. I'm sure I can "get by", but I'd really prefer to do the calibration specifically for this tape.

If anyone has any info or can point me to a resource I might have missed, I would really appreciate it!
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Guru

The 820 is the model that stores calibrations, not the 827. Recommended level and bias for 911 is the same as 456, AFAIR
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bradford View Post

I've used tape machines a good bit in the past, particularly A800s, but never an 827. I'm aware that they're able to store calibration settings for different tape formulations, but I can't seem to find any information anywhere, including the manual, on how to go about initially DOING the calibration.
you begin with a calibrated tone 2 inch real, that allready has signal recorded on it. the Tone tapes go on the machine, and you press play, and adjust Repro playback levels first.

the levels recorded on the Tape are the formula you are talking about. this dials in the machine playback to a reference point that has previously been identified.

Tone levels and speed get specified before you buy the tape.

the 2 inch studio that has the machine should have tone reals.

once playback is correct, you think about record levels etc etc.

the tape manufacturer will have level information.

Buddha
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Any stored calibration setting for any machine should be used only as a starting point and then the machine calibrated to the actual tape (or at least batch)

Apart from differences in tape between batches/brands the heads wear and the calibration changes again.

My A807 can save two different settings for each speed, I believe the A827 does too.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

The two stalwarts of analog recording are still here to help out.
I just had JRF make a new 1/2 playback stack for a MTR 20 for Eddie Grant...MRL made him a new 1/2” two speed alignment tape

It used to be $1100 for a 2” 15 and a 30ips alignment tape. Now a machine not much more

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search