The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crane Song Insigna pair vs. A Designs Hammer Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st February 2019
Crane Song Insigna pair vs. A Designs Hammer

Thinking about purchasing either, price is same, both high quality smooth, gentle EQs with subtle tube color. I already own an A Designs Nail, it's a quality piece for sure, tube color is very very subtle, just an overall sweet sounding, but still high fidelity device. I have kush Electras, Phoenix Drs EQ, and SSL x-rack EQ for mixing. Looking for something more smooth and euphonic for a different color. Also, I almost always use a Bettermaker EQP on master bus for low end and clariphonics for high end, but every now and then I want a more broad LF shelf without the mid scoop that the EQP does. Thought either of these could fill in nicely there. Anyone use both or has an opinion? Pretty sure I'd love either.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Difficult to say what YOU will like most.. I believe that it's more a matter of taste..

Between these two I'd get the insignia, especially if you wanted to go 500 series. very smooth sound. Not that the hammer is not a good piece, but I'm partial to crane song.. what can I say.. I like it better.. But it's personal preference I guess.

Since we're talking about eq and this kind of money, I'd say that there are other 2 candidates..
One it's the famous Avedis Audio E27, which is an incredible piece.. probably "punchier" or more "muscular" than both.. lowend is fantastic with the shelf switched in.

The other one is a 19" rack unit made by custom audio germany (CAG) the hde-250. Of course it's a different type of eq.
It's an incredibly musical eq, I love it, and you could customize it as you want.. With switchable xformers or not, 6 or 12 db's, stepped or not..colours..

I'm not sure this really helps, although it was my intention originally

Cheu
Old 2nd February 2019
So you have experience with both? Would you care to indulge in any more descriptors? Reading the literature, the Hammer seems to have a unique approach to Q and the Crane Song advertises its buffered RC circuits that yield harmonic richness. That's about all I have to go on, from all accounts both are great and fill similar needs.

I've got 4 channels of those Phoenix DRS Q4 EQs so I feel like I've got muscular xformer girth covered.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone View Post
So you have experience with both? Would you care to indulge in any more descriptors? Reading the literature, the Hammer seems to have a unique approach to Q and the Crane Song advertises its buffered RC circuits that yield harmonic richness. That's about all I have to go on, from all accounts both are great and fill similar needs.

I've got 4 channels of those Phoenix DRS Q4 EQs so I feel like I've got muscular xformer girth covered.
I believe the hammer use a relative Q, which is quite cool (exactly like Avedis did years before with his E27).

I've used both, and have a preference for the insignia, it just "talks" to me..
I believe at this level it's more a matter of taste honestly. Although might be a lil bit more "limited" on feats..

Sometimes it's also a matter of program material, that might suit that style (and what you had in mind) better or faster..

As said even if the CAG hde-250 is not a tube eq, I loved it. I also had a massive passive on the master, and the tubes definitely helps to "slow" down the material, although the MP it's a rather smooth unit and I like it, the CAG had a lowend to die for. Incredibly musical..

I'd suggest you to find a dealer that let you test both unit and forget my blabbering.. It's the only way for you to find out.. Why rely on MY experience and taste? It might be different from yours..

Cheu
Old 3rd February 2019
500 series nutjob

the A-Design HAMMER is a very well love and aways used around here.
so with that i say the HAMMER!
Old 3rd February 2019
I have a Hammer. Thought it was a bit boring at first since it's very clean. Not much happens when engaging it with the eq flat. The magic is in it's higher register and i never heard anything sounding so lush and expensive once you start cranking 5khz and above. I ended up mixing into it adding 2dbs of 5khz on the mixbus.

Never used the CS
Old 11th March 2019
I ended up just getting 4 more channels of Phoenix DRS Q4 mkii. With the crazy price drop it costs the same as a Hammer or Insigna pair and I do really like them. Coupled with the mic/line inputs you can really get a wide range of color, which I guess was what I was looking for. Though I do feel like it would be nice to have two "smooth" channels, which was why I was thinking valve. The Phoenix are colorful but mostly what I'd call bold and muscular.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search