The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSI A17-M vs Neumann KH 310 Studio Monitors
Old 15th March 2019
  #61
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

Two months with psi a17, finally my mixes are translating well.
Old 15th March 2019
  #62
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Two months with psi a17, finally my mixes are translating well.
What did you have before the PSI?
Old 15th March 2019
  #63
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
What did you have before the PSI?
Mackie 824, KRK V8, Focal CMS65 and I've tried several others -- none of them was as revealing as PSI.

I have moderately treated room: bass traps and reflectors but for sub bass monitoring I'm using subpac and like it a lot too.
Old 15th March 2019
  #64
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Mackie 824, KRK V8, Focal CMS65 and I've tried several others -- none of them was as revealing as PSI.

I have moderately treated room: bass traps and reflectors but for sub bass monitoring I'm using subpac and like it a lot too.
Thanks for your reply!
I upgraded from Adam A7 to APS Klasik some days ago but still a considering other options (PSI A17-M being one of them), that's why I am reading a lot about those. The APS have a great bass response, lower than the PSI, so I am wondering where the PSI might be superior to the APS, as they APS cost 1000€ the pair!
Old 15th March 2019
  #65
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
Thanks for your reply!
I upgraded from Adam A7 to APS Klasik some days ago but still a considering other options (PSI A17-M being one of them), that's why I am reading a lot about those. The APS have a great bass response, lower than the PSI, so I am wondering where the PSI might be superior to the APS, as they APS cost 1000€ the pair!
Congratulations -- good upgrade in terms of sound. I've tried APS Klassik and APS Aeon 2. Klassik didn't work with me because they are back ported and I have small room and prejudice against it. APS Aeon 2 were different class to Klassic but still low oriented and mids are not revealing. But only when I've heard that PSI 17m I was impressed by the details in music I never heard. Say one of my favorite techno stars have noisy tape delay and like drums in spring verb. I never payed attention to it.

Bass monitoring is really up to habbits. If I would have better space/dedicated studio I would buy subwoofer or 3-way like dynaudio lyd 48, but for now I get used to -3db bass roll off on monitors with additional subpac monitoring. Have you tried subpac?
Old 15th March 2019
  #66
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Congratulations -- good upgrade in terms of sound. I've tried APS Klassik and APS Aeon 2. Klassik didn't work with me because they are back ported and I have small room and prejudice against it. APS Aeon 2 were different class to Klassic but still low oriented and mids are not revealing. But only when I've heard that PSI 17m I was impressed by the details in music I never heard. Say one of my favorite techno stars have noisy tape delay and like drums in spring verb. I never payed attention to it.

Bass monitoring is really up to habbits. If I would have better space/dedicated studio I would buy subwoofer or 3-way like dynaudio lyd 48, but for now I get used to -3db bass roll off on monitors with additional subpac monitoring. Have you tried subpac?
Hey, thanks for your opinion regarding the APS klasik!
Yeah, back port is a problem for me as well, I got a 17 square meter room, with one Basstrap and some absorbers on the wall behind the speakers, but I can't do much more room treatment, as it isn't a dedicated studio, just the living room I have to share with my wife, kid and dogs haha. The Klasiks are 30cm away from the Absorbers, not sure if that is any good.
The Aeon would be overkill to me, size wise, so I don't consider them for me.
I do Techhouse and Trap music, so bass I crucial for me. The Klasik go down to 35Hz or something like that, it's really good, but than again they are back ported which isn't the best. I got a Adam 8 Sub, but was hoping to get rid of it together with the A7s, as I felt that bass coming directly from the monitors (Klasik) was enough for me. Not so sure with the PSI, as they go only down to 43Hz, but I use Sonarworks, which helps in improving the sound a lot. I never tried a subpac, will have a look at that. I also am sneaking around the Focal Clear Professional headphones, which gets praised here a LOT. So I am not sure if I should just keep the APS Klasik and get the Focals Clears for more detailed listening, or should invest some more cash and get the PSI.
Old 19th March 2019
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Just a word anout the detail in PSIs.

I was listening to some classic journey and was thinking that there was a noise in the house while listening. As it turns out, on one of the classic Perry/Rolie songs, I was hearing a terrible distorted droning noise at certain times. When I deduced it was coming from the track, I cracked up. Pretty amazing.

I still love listen to music on them but I do hear many commercial mixing mistakes. Additionally, I think it’s people and places by Journey where Perry’s voice is dull with a midrange buildup. Everyone else is clear. Sounds like he’s on an Sm58. Fun times.
Old 19th March 2019
  #68
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdes View Post
Do you mind sharing some setup and tips for PSI A21? How close to the wall? Will auralex pads be usefull?
I have A17, A25 and two A225 subs. I've picked them up myself at the PSI factory.

To quote their CEO Roger in regards to pads and stuff: "Just use any rubber feet you can buy at any do it yourself / home depot store.".

Old 4 weeks ago
  #69
Gear Maniac
 

FWIW:

I am selling my pair of KH 310's now.
They are in very good condition and also including the protection grills.

I am located in the Netherlands (Europe).
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ocelot12 / High End
32
MatsNo / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump