The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
amek 9098 mic pres are they comparable to other neve stuff? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 18th May 2007
Lives for gear

amek 9098 mic pres are they comparable to other neve stuff?

A two channel amek 9098 pre poped up in my area for a good price. How is its character? Is it comparable to great river?(that's the only neve clone I've worked with) And for what type of music would it be suitable?
Old 18th May 2007
In one word, no. The Amek stuff was ok (Channel in a Box being my favorite of the bunch) but there is no comparison to a 1073 or 1081/1084. The EQ and compressor on the 9098 gear was pretty cool and the CIB was great because you could run the compressor in line while tracking as well as mix with it on the post side.

Personally I wasn't a big fan of anything other than the CIB in that lineup.
Old 18th May 2007
Gear Head

I have an AMEK 9098 pre and it is very clean sounding, if you are looking for color I would look at something else, but all in all I think it is great, so for the right price I would buy it.
Old 18th May 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

yeah, the pre's are dissimlar to vintage neve stuff, but the pre-eq combo has a slight flavor to it when the eq is engaged. If you're looking for "Neeeve", check elswhere.
Old 19th May 2007
Ted
Gear Maniac

The ones in the desk sure sound great...

Ted.
Old 19th May 2007
Gear Maniac

I didn't like the pre on my amek/neve pre/eq,very clean but not very ineresting.
Old 19th May 2007
member no 666

I thought the 9098 eq and the EQ on the Channel in a Box beat the snot out of the old Neve EQ's by no small margin... but that's my sense of aesthetic which ain't anybody else's sense of aesthetic... FWIW, the Portico 5033 is absolutely one of the best EQ's I've ever been near... but again, YMMV.
Old 20th May 2007
Gear Guru

I cut one of the best vocal tracks ever with a 9098, maybe i got lucky, the eq is so sweet, i still have it and use it as well, but now i have a lunchbox full of Studer 089s and it takes the place for tracking vocals, i think a u87 and a 9098 went hand in hand on male vocals. Anything with a Neve's name on it has to be decent to tops.
Old 20th May 2007
Lives for gear
1. Old Neve had a different design to Amek Neve designs.

2. The Amek Neve design had a more powerful EQ and cleaner mic pres.

3. There are two Amek CIBs. Those built by Amek and those built after 2002 by Soundcraft. The QC for noise and distortion was nowhere near as good at Soundcraft. The same applies to all other Amek products.
Old 20th May 2007
Lives for gear

it's a two channel mic preamp. We bought it for around $700. one of the channels led meter is broken but it sounds the same as the other channel. Thanks for the replys. I'll report back what I think of it.
Old 20th May 2007
Lives for gear

very underrated I've had a pair since 1995ish? clean closer to focusrite 115 than 1073 ... i've used them on drum overheads for 10years first call the eq for cymbals is worth it alone... I keep thinking when I see these go cheap on ebay i should be buying.. I remember when studios threw pultecs out as junk

cheers
SP
Old 6th June 2012
Gear Addict

The Amek 9098 pre is AWESOME. It's untouchable. I have API, Avedis, Millennia HV3D, Focusrite ISA 430, Avalon M5 and 737s, BA 1073, and none of those pre's do what the 9008 can do in a mix.
It's one of those rare pre's that hit the spot, and no one knows anything about them. To describe it's character, it just places anything you record with it in the upper register like nothing else.
Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
The Amek 9098 pre is AWESOME. It's untouchable. I have API, Avedis, Millennia HV3D, Focusrite ISA 430, Avalon M5 and 737s, BA 1073, and none of those pre's do what the 9008 can do in a mix.
It's one of those rare pre's that hit the spot, and no one knows anything about them. To describe it's character, it just places anything you record with it in the upper register like nothing else.
I think that perhaps saying they are untouchable is a bit over the top.
They are nice though. Love the EQ in them. I have used both the CIB and one of the other 9098 channels quite a bit in a friend's studio, and also borrowed them from him and used them in my studio as well as for location drum sample recording. I don't actually own one, but judging by my experiences with them, I want one. The day when I have some spare cash and one comes up for sale....try to beat me to it!!! High on my list of desirables.
Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

mmm I'm going to have to dust off my two 9098 Eq's and get them back in action after reading this thread

MC
Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I thought the 9098 eq and the EQ on the Channel in a Box beat the snot out of the old Neve EQ's by no small margin... but that's my sense of aesthetic which ain't anybody else's sense of aesthetic... FWIW, the Portico 5033 is absolutely one of the best EQ's I've ever been near... but again, YMMV.
Rupert would agree with you 100% Fletcher and has told me this on more than one occasion.

In fact he laughs how people lord over his old designs.

I owned a pair when they first came out for about 6 years... great pre and EQ, very underrated by the "hype machine" at the time who were pimping the hell out of vintage 1073's (which I owned at the same time as well).

I'd have engineers walk into the room who never heard them and point at them and say "that's not a real Neve"... can you imagine the balls of these characters.

It's sh*t like this that made me learn to trust my own ears and not what anyone was telling me.

Thank you Rupert for the many lessons you've taught me!
Old 6th June 2012
I own 3 9098's pre's w eq's and a CIB, the pre's on all of them are on the very cleanish side, I use them all the time for different app's. The eq's are pretty great, really one of the most versatile eq's around. If you can't get a sound with them, YOU can't get a sound.
Old 6th June 2012
Gear Addict

9098 Pre with EQ is since quite a few years an absolute workhorse here. I am loving the filters and the highs on that EQ. Very natural and effortless sounding. The 9098 is more on the cleanish side - if you drive it hard it'll give you a more meaty sound and you can hear the transformers a bit...
Old 6th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock View Post
9098 Pre with EQ is since quite a few years an absolute workhorse here. I am loving the filters and the highs on that EQ. Very natural and affordless sounding. The 9098 is more on the cleanish side - if you drive it hard it'll give you a more meaty sound and you can hear the transformers a bit...
uuuh there's no transformer in a 9098, there are "transformer like amplifiers" I think the CIB has one and a TLA
Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

He trusts his ears dude, he's sure he's heard them in there

B.
Old 6th June 2012
Gear Addict

Really? I could have sworn I hear some transformer saturation when the Pre is driven hard....well, you live and learn. However, it's a great sounding unit - transformer or not...
Old 6th June 2012
Gear Addict

I've just checked the manual. There's a transformer on the eq out, so I wasn't completely wrong, eh?
Old 6th June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Sounded plasticky to me.

Close to my observation after owning one for a bit. I described it as more of a rubbery sound, didn't like it at all. The EQ is very precise though, could be useful.
Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
uuuh there's no transformer in a 9098, there are "transformer like amplifiers" I think the CIB has one and a TLA
...if I'm not mistaken, the 9098 has TLAs (transformer-like amplifiers) on the input circuit and transformers on the output (see pics from the manual block diagram below)...
Attached Thumbnails
amek 9098 mic pres are they comparable to other neve stuff?-9098.jpg   amek 9098 mic pres are they comparable to other neve stuff?-9098detail.jpg  
Old 6th June 2012
Not good if your looking for color. FWIW try the seventh circle audio N72 preamp, the guy did a ton of research in developing the correct circuit and they sound amazing! In the end though trust your ears and go with what sounds good to you!
Old 6th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...if I'm not mistaken, the 9098 has TLAs (transformer-like amplifiers) on the input circuit and transformers on the output (see pics from the manual block diagram below)...
I cant find my 9098 manual, if you were going to overdrive a pre, I would think you'd want to do it on the input where the TLA is, which btw doesn't mean it won't distort. Markus I guess I wasn't entirely correct, sorry
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
It has a torriod output transformer. I rebuilt a few, not impressed. Sounded plasticky to me.
YMMV.
Jim, were these all post Harman units you worked on? I've noticed a similar thing in most of the Focusrite ISA units I've heard that were manufactured post Harman.
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear
never owned 9098 but do own 1084s, 1081s, API 312s, etc. at any rate i did use one at another studio once and i liked it quite a bit. sounded pretty sweet to me.

to answer the OPs question, it does not sound like the old Neve stuff but i would use it in a tracking situation with confidence.
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear
I have an AMEK CIB and 9098 micpre and EQ. Both are fantastic and get used a lot (although I am selling the 9098). Like Fletcher said the EQ on the CIB beats the snot out of the vintage Neves. I prefer the EQ on the CIB to the 1073. The high end is very smooth (and flexible) on the CIB and you can really crank it unlike the 10K frequency on the 1073 which can introduce a harshness when boosted too much. There is no reason why you should not be able to get a professional sound from a 9098 mic pre either. I use my CIB more than my 1073 mic pres. The 9098 mic pre has no transformers while the CIB does. The 9098 is very clean. It sounds great with acoustic instruments and vocals (recorded through my Manley Cardioid, KM184, U87, SM57, and SM58). If you are after a clean pre the Buzz Audio MA.2.2 is truly fabulous and a real luxury to use. The standard version comes without transformers. Transformed can be added as an extra so you have a choice of both outputs when recording for each channel (ie transformerless and transformers).
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

I like the 9098, very transparent and fast mic pre, i think that when it comes to clean pres there are better choices, but i use it very frequently.
Old 7th June 2012
Here for the gear

9098 is a fast pre without much color. Nothing wrong with it.
Effortless gain that always sounds good. (you don't really hear the pre).
Though I tend to favor tube pres, with some transformers.

Ricordu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search