The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
amek 9098 mic pres are they comparable to other neve stuff? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Addict

So I will rephrase that a certain Mr. Knowitall won‘t get triggered by our lol lol lol technical nonsense lol lol lol. There is a saturation going on (transformer like sound) in the unit when you drive the circuit harder. I do not know whether it is the output transformer that sits behind the EQ or if it is some other components in the circuit design. However, I really like it. I always use the EQ with this unit since it is pretty outstanding and unique.
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo View Post
The 9098 is a transformerless Microphone preamp design.
thanks. i agree no transformer on the input.

according to Ruepert, he dropped the input transformer on the preamp, but retained it on the Line level output stage.

well at least according the Amek docs, and his statements.

i do have an AMEK 9098 in my racks, but have not opened it up personally to have a look.

might be worth a look inside. Ha ha...someone could be lying...

anyway i worked on old Neves for a long time in the 80s and 90s, and actually the older they were the less i liked them.

i much prefered the later designs with 4 bands of Eq , double parametric and EQ to 20k.

i think as Reupert got older and his designs changed, it was allways in search of cleaner and more hi Fi. thats the aspects of the 9098 that i like anyway.

good info. thanks.

Buddha
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Arts View Post
Have had a pair 9098/eq for a long time and I might sell some of the stuff in my studio BUT NOT THESE BABIES.
I agree. My 9098 EQs are here for keeps.

Buddha
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock View Post
Exactly that. Not your lush, dark, vintage Neve sound - rather the opposite. In your face and with alot of presence, but the same class to me. But tastes are different. The 9098 Pre EQ works great for Metal (Love Snare, Guitars, Vox through them).
Kicks arse on a snare Drum....

rock n roll...

Buddha
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
There is a saturation going on (transformer like sound) in the unit when you drive the circuit harder.
Driving any pre-amplifier stage harder will always produced an amount of saturation, being it more or less, that has nothing to do with a "Transformer like sound" it's just how amplifiers work.

You drive it harder they saturate, all circuits saturate. Some circuits don't have output attenuation so might be not easy to do on those circuits since you will clip your converters or recorder inputs before saturation occurs within the preamp circuit.
But again all circuits saturate.

"transformer like sound" doens't mean anything at all, more than so when applied to this circuit.
All transformers sound different, there's even some transformers that have so much headroom that a lot of Saturation will occur in the amplifier circuit long before any saturation occurs in the transformer itself. Lundhal transformers are a good example.

Saturation is independent of having an audio transformer or not.
Audio transformers sound different from each other and saturate in different ways.
By Saturation you can read "Distortion/Audio Clipping"
Old 5th April 2019
I think the overdriven sound is more characteristic of what NE5532 opamps (and their 5534 cousins) sound like when driven. There's 4 in there per channel, right? The Focusrite Red series (1990s, not the newer series) uses those as well.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
So I will rephrase that a certain Mr. Knowitall won‘t get triggered by our lol lol lol technical nonsense lol lol lol. There is a saturation going on (transformer like sound) in the unit when you drive the circuit harder. I do not know whether it is the output transformer that sits behind the EQ or if it is some other components in the circuit design. However, I really like it. I always use the EQ with this unit since it is pretty outstanding and unique.
I had one for a while. That is not a good saturation going on. While I liked the eq and found it quite useful, I found the pre to have a rubbery quality to it that really annoyed me. Kind of dampened the transients or something.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I had one for a while. That is not a good saturation going on. While I liked the eq and found it quite useful, I found the pre to have a rubbery quality to it that really annoyed me. Kind of dampened the transients or something.
Rubbery or bouncy is actually a very good description to what the 9098 sounds when overdriven. I think in normal usage though it goes from very clean to tight/meaty in tonal texture. And I think most everybody agrees on that the EQ is really useful.
Old 6th April 2019
JAT
Lives for gear
In an interview, mr neve stated he was always designing to get the cleanest, ie, distortionless, amplification possible. So he got better at design and found more acceptable components. He also said he managed to get distortion to practically nothing and the electrical engineers were stunned by it. When such was implemented in a product line, however, many audio engineers found there was no bite. He didn’t mention which of his previous companies. So in the RND line he added back distortion with the silk option.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search