The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools HD - alternatives in 2019? DAW Software
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Nut

Pro Tools HD - alternatives in 2019?

Hi together!

I am currently evaluating the possibility of setting up a remote residential studio in the Highlands of Scotland and wondered if anyone could help me finding a DAW solution.

The plan is to set up a medium sized recording/writing studio with high quality gear and the focus of production/songwriting rather than straight recording. The facilities to track a full band (in one room) would be available though (with a few Capi and Neve pre-amps).

All should be extremely user friendly so a decently skilled engineer wouldn't have to ask any questions after a day of me being around and helping with the setup.

As the workflow would probably involve plugins when thinking production so I wondered what to do about Pro Tools. I'm mainly thinking latency but obviously also compatibility. Is there any way around HD in 2019 for this kind of workflow?
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Just set up an analog cue system with a couple pieces of outboard. You can then use any native daw app without the latency worries. If you have to use plugs when tracking and will be skipping a Dsp based interface like PT HD or the Apollo then look at RME interfaces combined with their direct monitoring software mixer for next lowest latency while tracking.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks for your input. I actually wouldn't mind going the UAD route I just remembered someone mentioning that latency is still an issue with the Apollos in comparison to PT HD? Or is that using the Satellites or Apollo for inserts in the DAW? I reckoned something still has to communicate in between the DAW and the interface. Please correct me if I am wrong, I have literally 0 experience with UAD so far...
Old 28th January 2019
I have 2 x BF Apollo 8’s and for monitoring I use the optical outs.. 16 channels total to a Powerplay 16 hub and out to 6 artist headphone mixers

I use 8 channels direct from 4 stereo cues in the Apollo Console app ... zero latency to monitor what is being tracked

The other 8 from the slave apollo I feed with my mix groups from the Daw (I use logic but any will do) to monitor what is already tracked so you can overdub.

The only latency is from the AD conversion in the headphone mixers which I have measured to be a few samples (@48)

Very happy with this set up. Feel free to pm me for more info

Last edited by javamad; 28th January 2019 at 01:55 PM..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search