The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Did I make a huge mistake? ATC SCM 110
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Did I make a huge mistake? ATC SCM 110

Deleted.

Last edited by StateOfMatter; 28th January 2019 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: had a good nights sleep and some coffee. Repositioned and loving what I am hearing.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMatter View Post
Now I am not looking for advice in terms of acoustics, positioning etc. (I have tried tweeter on the inside, tweeter on the outside, bass boost up, bass boost off, I have positioned the sub all over the room, adjusted the phase appropriately etc. etc.).
This is your room?

What is the sluttiest thing you have bought in the year 2018 ?

Yeah. I can see mistakes in positioning and the room.
But you don't want advice on that...
(any full-range speaker is going to show up the problems with your room more than limited-range speakers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMatter View Post
I actually would just like to know if I am a total jackass for making this decision and taking this guys advice. Is it insane to sit this close (1.3/1.4m) to these monitors?
1.4 m is fine if your listening position doesn't get pushed into one of the room's nulls. Or the speakers aren't sitting in a null (including the vertical for a woofer) *hint

Your mistakes: Using a dealer as an acoustician. He/she wants to sell you something (and sell you more and more -- you most likely do not need a sub in a room that size.) Not trying the speakers in your own room. Messing with the controls on the back of the speaker (the speakers were calibrated before they were sent to you and now only one of those controls can be reset without a measurement mic) and thinking adding more drivers to a room will fix room acoustic problems.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

If you are planning to move in 8 months maybe you can go away with the fact that you bought probably some of the best monitors which have a great potential, but are definitely totally inappropriate for the volume of your curent room. 110 are way to big, should definitely need at least 2m of listening distance and are in essence meant for in-wall application to get the best out of them. You will not be able to achieve good low end response in your room with them. Out of ATC ranfe 20s or 25s would be the best bet, but you would do so mich better getting with Kii Three or D&D 8C. These two monitors are probably the only ones that might give you faithful low end reproduction in the room of your dimensions and even deeper low end. You would also be better off with Genelecs 8341+ Sub or SCM20s plus sub.

Mind you...good monitoring is much more than jist good speakers (like you’re having now). It really is integration of speakers in your room.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

First off, you NEVER plunk down that kind of dough w/o auditioning the monitors in your room first.

Now I am not looking for advice in terms of acoustics, positioning etc.

Too bad.

You have major issues in your room. Just look at what you said:

I had been working on Dynaudio M2's and wasn't able to even listen to them without Sonarworks turned on. My room has good acoustic treatment but it is not the biggest and comes with problems (130-200 hz buildup, -6 dB at 100 hz).

Couldn't even listen to the mons without Sonarworks turned on. That means one of two things:

1) Your room is absolutely horrible
2) You need to have your hearing checked

Seriously. I am not trying to be a dick about this, but you really need some room work here. Consider hiring someone, or just deal with your choice until you move.

Mind you...good monitoring is much more than jist good speakers (like you’re having now). It really is integration of speakers in your room.

That ^
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Deleted

Last edited by StateOfMatter; 28th January 2019 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: had a good nights sleep and some coffee. Repositioned and loving what I am hearing.
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Deleted.

Last edited by StateOfMatter; 28th January 2019 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: had a good nights sleep and some coffee. Repositioned and loving what I am hearing.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

I take it you sit while you work? In front of that desk?
Drop your speakers height to where the center of the midrange is 126 cm from the floor. That will put your bass drivers closer to the floor which is beneficial.

What is your center-to-center distance of those midranges. From that picture, there's no way you are sitting in an equilateral (or near equilateral) triangle based on that. By my math, if you did sit at 1.4m triangle, you would be near the 40% point of the length of the room. Possibly into 50%. And that will be horrible for bass. Put your tweeters on the inside so you can close up your triangle, pull you desk away from the wall, and see if you can get your ears just below 40% from the front wall.

And then get a measurement mic and measure what your room is doing. You definitely need a lot more bass absorption for a room that size. I can see plenty of space to mount bass absorbers at the wall to ceiling intersections.
But the 110 can operate in close distances since the woofer to midrange crosses so low.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
I take it you sit while you work? In front of that desk?
Drop your speakers height to where the center of the midrange is 126 cm from the floor. That will put your bass drivers closer to the floor which is beneficial.

What is your center-to-center distance of those midranges. From that picture, there's no way you are sitting in an equilateral (or near equilateral) triangle based on that. By my math, if you did sit at 1.4m triangle, you would be near the 40% point of the length of the room. Possibly into 50%. And that will be horrible for bass. Put your tweeters on the inside so you can close up your triangle, pull you desk away from the wall, and see if you can get your ears just below 40% from the front wall.

And then get a measurement mic and measure what your room is doing. You definitely need a lot more bass absorption for a room that size. I can see plenty of space to mount bass absorbers at the wall to ceiling intersections.
But the 110 can operate in close distances since the woofer to midrange crosses so low.
Hey - you did better than I did!

Great post!
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

i would try swapping the speakers around, bringing the tweeters in closer together.

then i would move the desk back another meter and a half, and see how it sounds from a greater distance.

as positioned in the photo, you need to be much further back for any stereo width accuracy.

not a technical reply, but easy to try.

Buddha
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Guru

ATC 110’s arent near-fields.your dealer has some strange ideas about monitors.
Those are usually soffit mounted mains.
Glad you found a way to make those work.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Tom Elmhirst/Electric Lady

Diane Warren/Realsongs

The 110A is just a 50A with a second bass unit. If you can fit it in the room (and keep yourself and the speaker out of nulls due to size), the listening distance works just fine. But the acoustic center is still the mid (and the tweeter rotation) though Diane is showing that wrong. Both Tom and Diane (and Peter at Diane's) are both under two meters from midranges.

Yes the 110A can do more but it can operate in the nearfield just fine.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Tom Elmhirst/Electric Lady

Diane Warren/Realsongs

The 110A is just a 50A with a second bass unit. If you can fit it in the room (and keep yourself and the speaker out of nulls due to size), the listening distance works just fine. But the acoustic center is still the mid (and the tweeter rotation) though Diane is showing that wrong. Both Tom and Diane (and Peter at Diane's) are both under two meters from midranges.

Yes the 110A can do more but it can operate in the nearfield just fine.
Guess its a preference thing.
I always liked the 50’s and 45’s with a little distance w something a little smaller nearfield
110’s are awesome but would be waay overkill as nearfeilds in my room.(similar to the OP’s)I've got Dutch 8c’s (and Amphions) and they’re plenty loud.
Old 28th January 2019
As has been said above, this is ALL about your room and acoustics. You might be able to improve what you are hearing by placement a little but your room is the weak point in that listening chain. The 110s are probably the best I've ever heard/worked on. But they are in my room which was designed precisely to accommodate them.
Attached Thumbnails
Did I make a huge mistake? ATC SCM 110-5psqf6tysg68kortqszodq.jpg  
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As has been said above, this is ALL about your room and acoustics. You might be able to improve what you are hearing by placement a little but your room is the weak point in that listening chain. The 110s are probably the best I've ever heard/worked on. But they are in my room which was designed precisely to accommodate them.
Sorry, this is slightly OT but just listened to the "Faye Bagley - Fall & Break" song (via TIDAL) on my ATC EL 150As, and it sounded really great.
Old 28th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mev dinc View Post
Sorry, this is slightly OT but just listened to the "Faye Bagley - Fall & Break" song (via TIDAL) on my ATC EL 150As, and it sounded really great.
Haha. Thank you man!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search