The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to approach the API sound?
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

I have a similiar setup with my eurorack and 5u going into a ufx + via es3/6/7. I do have two retro instrument channel strips, a sta-level and a 176. I think the retro instrument channel strips get me close to what your talking about with it's combination of eq and compressor. I btw have attenuators in my eurorack to bring things to line level, but I record things straight into the ufx without it going through the outboard gear. ('I have 8 inputs and also 8 outputs, so loop things back to the external stuff when I need that extra feel).
Old 28th January 2019
+1 to the various suggestions if pres and consoles. In general you will see that people are saying that while yes a full API workflow will do something, I believe many are saying there are other colour options too.

Have you looked at the Handsome Audio Zulu? Its a very strong colour with some settings. It would certainly tame the digititus of synth outputs.

I would also say, whatever you get try to get a few different options ... variety is the spice of life!
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

A bit of an uneducated suggestion is to look at building a few SCA A12's (or buying used)

I say uneducated because I have never compared my A12's to actual API preamps, however I have borrowed my rack of A12's to someone who did side by sides and he was happy enough that the A12's gave him the API sound that he wound up buying A12's.

The A12's are stupid easy to build too.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Good luck with your journey!!
I just realized that your name is to be found on the Silver Bullte's faceplate which says : drBill's Stereo Tone Amp

haha.. I wonder why?!
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
I just realized that your name is to be found on the Silver Bullte's faceplate which says : drBill's Stereo Tone Amp

haha.. I wonder why?!

Doh! Discovered.....

Yes, it's there isn't it?

The Silver Bullet is the Brainchild of Brad McGowan of Louder Than Liftoff and myself. Over a decade ago, when virtually no one else was doing it, or at least no one was talking about it - I began making a case for mic amps on the 2 bus. I was using (2) VP28's and (2) AML Neve 1073's. But all the while, I was never ever COMPLETELY happy with the workflow, the sonics, and the inability to tweak them how I wanted. So I started brainstorming.....then I met Brad.

The rest is history as they say, and this style of 2 bus processor - while virtually unheard of when we first introduced it (we didn't even know how to describe it or what category to place it in when we debuted it at AES a few years ago)- is quickly becoming quite popular. With even major companies releasing "similar" products in a category of gear that once upon a time didn't exist.

It's a good time to be mixing IMO.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

The LTL is on my list. I currently use a API 2500 and run all my buses through it when I'm finished with a track, synths, bass, drums, etc. I have stems with them all through the 2500, then use it on the mixbus lightly for some compounding color, bounce again. Ignore the rock comments on this site. I'm not sure why people think API is so colored, its actually a pretty clean signal if you have ever used one for any length of time. I make electronic music so I figure by bouncing all the stems I'm getting closer to some console sound with a little bit of dynamics control on the stems. If you have the LTL you can have a compressor like the 2500 on the insert which is my next step, also the Neve color which would cover all the "other" stuff.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
I currently use a API 2500 and run all my buses through it when I'm finished with a track, synths, bass, drums, etc. I have stems with them all through the 2500, then use it on the mixbus lightly for some compounding color, bounce again.
About how much reduction each pass?
Old 30th January 2019
OP, Have you looked into the CAPI SumBus?
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlanyard View Post
OP, Have you looked into the CAPI SumBus?
I did and hell it's tempting if slightly above my budget.. eventho I don't fully get their homepage and pricing ..
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The LTL is on my list.
You can't go wrong with The LTL. I have 5 Silver Bullets and 8 Chromas...API and mojo covered.

The LTL, regarding its API-ability: to quote Teri Hatcher on Seinfeld,"They're real and they're spectacular!"
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I have 5 Silver Bullets and 8 Chromas...API and mojo covered.
Not if you don't have any Mr Focus modules..... How many of THOSE do you have? Am I finally out ahead of you on something???

But seriously, obviously, I agree wholeheartedly with you and Teri.....
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Not if you don't have any Mr Focus modules..... How many of THOSE do you have? Am I finally out ahead of you on something???
"I'm your mama, I'm your daddy"
Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield.

Way to rub it sir!
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
"I'm your mama, I'm your daddy"
Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield.

Way to rub it sir!
hey, when you're up against michael jordan, you gotta compete any way you can....
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
About how much reduction each pass?
It kind of depends on how much I did ITB on the bus or not. If I did some processing already I might just take a 1-2db or less depending. In FF I take less, but the occasional old mode/soft knee the dynamics stay there.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Look up threads here on the JBL 7510A and 7510B units for an API mid forward mic pre sound on the cheap. Of course they are not as 3D as the real API however real API pres used are $500 per channel, the clones are around $300 a channel, the JBL can be found for as little as $25 a channel. Given you are using samples as source material, they might not have much 3D info to begin with. The JBL is modular with 4 pres per card and the ability to use 6 cards in the rack unit for a total of 24 channels. You will have to do a simple mod to make it studio friendly (soldering some resistors and a couple bare wire jumpers to a d-sub connector, details of which are in the threads. As other posters have said, it’s not just one piece of gear to get you complex results.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I am almost tempted beyond my natural cheaposity by the Silver Bullet. I have no doubt that the claims made by the manufacturer are possible given the published details. The pie has moved from the sky to the table. I’m just cautious about whether the pie fits my money diet.
I suggested to a friend to get the silver bullet. He mixes itb but sums through a very non colored sound craft ghost and the sliver bullet has made a world of a difference. Using it for tracking as well. I felt it would be overkill for me so i got 2 Chromas.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

If you really want that API sound, why not the channel strip?

Or two for stereo sources? CAPI is great, but the cost of a channel strip and 500 rack is about the same as a used API channel strip off reverb
Old 1st February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
I was in the same place a while back. I ended up buying two channel strip and now I have everything covered. Some times I insert just the compressor on the mix buss to get a poor man’s 2500.

(Like the OP, I'm a huge fan of the API sound as well.)

I've been continually interested in this double channel strip set-up through the years. Even with experience using the strips, I'm curious as to how it would be across the 2 buss. Care to share?
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
(Like the OP, I'm a huge fan of the API sound as well.)

I've been continually interested in this double channel strip set-up through the years. Even with experience using the strips, I'm curious as to how it would be across the 2 buss. Care to share?
I had the 7600s, and it definitely has the sound. I personally liked the 2500/5500 combo better(roughly same cost) then the two channel strips. It depends if you needed the pres or not. The EQ on the strip is maybe too broad for mix buss. Really its personal preference. I tend to use Dynamics/EQ the most on everything and the more options in that area was better for me. In the end I just use the 2500 the most now. The options are endless though.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Funny - i was thinking the same thing ...
Here is my take on the API console sound:
Summing into 8200a (4 mono, 2 stereo).
6 x 535-La's on inserts.
The 535-LA can be very subtle but still add up.
On kick i sometime smash the 535 hard.
Still need 2 more - or maybe 2 x 565 Filter.
2bus into 2500/5500 via the TK Blender.
I can get more or less color.
Attached Thumbnails
How to approach the API sound?-api-rack-2.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
6 x 535-La's on inserts.
**** bro.. I bet you really get where I want to go
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
6 x 535-La's on inserts.
How do you like the 8200? I looked at one at one point. I think if I went that route I'd probably get a dangerous 2bus+. I had a mixdream years ago, but kind of gave up on summing.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you like the 8200? I looked at one at one point. I think if I went that route I'd probably get a dangerous 2bus+. I had a mixdream years ago, but kind of gave up on summing.
the 8200A is great and the standalone version of the 8200.
it's basicly a small rack mixer and not a summing box.
i used it in many different ways over the years.
it colors the sound nicely but it's more on the clean and punchy site.
this setup is both front and back end for my recordings now.

but i did not built up to this setup.
it's more the other way around:
i down sized a lot and built this from the left overs ...
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

I would love to give the API 8200A a try but it seems discontinued however :( sad sad..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search