The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Fusion HF Compressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear
SSL Fusion HF Compressor

Hey everyone, looking for a bit of advice or maybe some potential resources on good practices with using a hardware HF compressor like built into the fusion. I've never really messed with anything like this, and am having the most varied results with that block passing old mixes through it.

Right now for reference, I'm just setting the threshold where it's slightly taming everything above 7K.

Any thoughts?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear
Read the manual and watch the videos. Neither has anyone else, because I don’t think a purpose-built HF compressor is available anywhere else.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

Overstayer Modular Channel
Old 26th January 2019
They are not hardware, but I found multiband compressors like the Waves C6 and UAD Precision multiband compressors to work really well. I generally like the opto setting on the C6 as it is more gentle and natural sounding.
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Head

Great job SSL. I'm mastering through the Fusion as we speak. As per some of the guide videos giving a bit of lift in the top end shelf and combining it with a lightly drive HF compressor crossing over an octave below gives some great results. The Vintage Drive is as you'd expect but the major here for me is in the stereo image transformer. It's extremely versatile in being able to boost the whole sides and also boot or cut the bass in the side.
I'm going DAW>Bettermaker EQ>SSL Fusion>Manly NuMu>Burl Mothership.
Class now with that colouring option outboard (SSL and or Burl) and quite transparent Manley.
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Read the manual and watch the videos. Neither has anyone else, because I don’t think a purpose-built HF compressor is available anywhere else.

Mastering consoles / vinyl cutting set-ups have HF Limiters - I'm assuming that their variant is based around those.
Old 20th March 2019
Great Chinese work from a classic U.K. company. Silver Bullet any day of the week.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Great Chinese work from a classic U.K. company. Silver Bullet any day of the week.

You're turning into 'UK-Plush'.
Old 20th March 2019
The HF compressor on the Fusion is a nice addition. It softens highs in a targeted way. If you have an overly bright mix, this is a great way to quell the harshness. Be careful though, going overboard will give you a dull sound.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The HF compressor on the Fusion is a nice addition. It softens highs in a targeted way. If you have an overly bright mix, this is a great way to quell the harshness. Be careful though, going overboard will give you a dull sound.
Indeed. I learned that less pretty quickly.

The width controls on the Fusion are indeed great. I've had fun experimenting with the fusion vs the Neve MBP for this functionality. Pretty fun as both pieces of gear are new to me.
Old 22nd March 2019
Lives for gear
Nothing against Fusion, which has an attractive feature set... but not really new is it?
Just done with a quality deesser (or hi freq comp as it’s described here) like the Maselec, or Weiss (tho I never owned Weiss)
Or more recently with software like essence. Ozone 8 very good for this too. New kid on the block multiplicity is crazy crazy good
Old 22nd March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post

You're turning into 'UK-Plush'.
They have equalled if not sunk below Behringer. That new mixer?
Old 22nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamoss View Post
Indeed. I learned that less pretty quickly.

The width controls on the Fusion are indeed great. I've had fun experimenting with the fusion vs the Neve MBP for this functionality. Pretty fun as both pieces of gear are new to me.
This is great! I’m actually deciding between Fusion and MBP. Fusion for input and output trim for gain staging, drive, but most of all the hi freq Limiter. MBP for the Neve sound, and the powerful frequency dependent stereo field editor. They both have unique strengths. I’m leaning towards the Neve. But I’m really I intrigued by Fusion.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
They have equalled if not sunk below Behringer. That new mixer?
Sounds harsh, but won't argue too much with that. Way of our world of wrong just now.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Theres some new products due for release by another great british company that still makes quality boutique gear at an amazing price and employing and empowering local workers.

Has anybody heard of Drawner.

The 78, 76 and 74 can do all that and more.

Cheers
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Theres some new products due for release by another great british company that still makes quality boutique gear at an amazing price and employing and empowering local workers.

Has anybody heard of Drawner.

The 78, 76 and 74 can do all that and more.

Cheers
The new 1974 and 1976 look interesting. A 4 band stereo parametric eq and a frequency dependent analog saturator. If they come in under $1k each, one could consider these two with the 1978 as a nice modular processor. Eq with shelves and filters, fet comp with frequency dependent gain reduction (de-essing), and frequency dependent saturation. Cool!
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear
Drawmer 70 series
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Drawmer have already said that one of them 74 or 76 will be around same as the 78 and one of them will be cheaper. Hope that makes sense.

My guess is 1300 usd and maybe 1100 for the other.

Im building my studio back again and these items are on my radar.

Cheers
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Cool. Definitely worth a demo.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
IIRC the board in your Stam SA-2A was populated with components on Chinese production line.

You have stated your admiration for that unit.
Old 24th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
IIRC the board in your Stam SA-2A was populated with components on Chinese production line.

You have stated your admiration for that unit.
Wow you're so clever. Thanks for letting me know. I wondered how they kept their units a year behind schedule and so cheap. FYI I don't have an SA-2A as it lowered the tone of my fancy, high class room but they do sound comparable if you don't mind having cheap, bargain brands around the place.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Wow you're so clever.
Thank you

What do you use now for opto tube compressors duties?

I remember in a post you said you sold your vintage la2a for the Stam.

Last edited by thehightenor; 24th March 2019 at 02:35 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search