The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound card vs Amp/Dac Modular Synthesizers
Old 24th January 2019
Sound card vs Amp/Dac

Hi everyone,

So I was really blown away by the setup in a studio I visited recently. Their sound system custom made by Atlantis Lab ( a really good french high end speakers manufacturer unknown but worth checking ) was really something else. Everything was there: depth, details I'd never heard before, etc.
My work room is just terrible and I'm planning to move out and get really into building a good listening environment with proper room treatment and of course a quality sound system. It all costs money though so it's going to take me a while to save up and organize all this.
In the meantime, I just can't work anymore on my old DT770 and I'm looking to buy some quality headphones like the Audeze LCD2 and a good headphone amp/ DAC like the Luxman DA150 (+ good cables of course) so I can fill my craving for sound quality.

My question is this: I already own a RME Fireface UCX and I essentially produce electronic music using mostly plugins. Should I plug the headphones amp on the RME via coaxial or should I just come out of the computer straight into the amp without the sound card ?

Do the sound card has any use other than plugging in a mic/ instrument, converting and sending to speakers, etc ? I mean does the DAW uses the sound card for any other reasons than this ?

I'm trying to cut down on parasites by getting rid of intermediaries as much as I can so if the sound card doesn't really have any use other than taking in external signal and taking out signal I don't really see why I should not just replace it by the headphones amp.

Also, how do you think the Luxman DAC would compare to the RME DAC ?

If you have any info on this or any critics on my ideas please let me know
PS: I hope this stuff is expensive enough to be in the high end section, otherwise please let me know and I'll move it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search