The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bowers & Wilkins v Kef (Mixing)
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Bowers & Wilkins v Kef (Mixing)

Hi,

I am looking to get a new pair of bookshelf speakers for producing, mixing and recording music. I have narrowed down my search to either a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2's or Kef R3's. I can get these 2 brands new at a major discount so I am not really interested in other brands. I will be pairing them with a McIntosh MA252 amplifier.

I have already demoed the two speakers quite a bit back and forth and my thoughts are...

Bowers & Wilkins are a lot brighter, faster transient response / sharper, and I feel the Bowers are more open with a greater sense of width. The Bowers sounded a little scooped out in the mids with a little less bass than the Kef. I am not sure if the brightness of the Bowers are more accurate or over exaggerated and hyped. Possibly the Bowers may be more fatiguing to listen to over longer periods.

I feel the the Kef was a lot fuller and more detailed in the mids. The Kef had more bass than the Bowers. The Kefs almost sounded more natural than the Bowers but also a little dull in the treble frequencies in comparison to the Bowers.

Anyone with experience with these two companies I would love to hear your thoughts. I also just for kicks demoed a lot of other comparable speakers from these two companies and I got a similar impression throughout their models.

Would you go Kef or Bowers if it where you.....
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Have not heard the B&W's but if you get the Kef make sure that you use the top connectors because it's best to go into the main driver, otherwise the sound is a bit disjoined and less coherent sounding. The bass also sounds better when connected as I've suggested. I don't like bi-wiring so recommend against using it, as many manufacturers also agree with me. Make sure the demo was done this way. Connect the B&W's at the lower terminals or the bass may be light sounding.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search