The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sooo some kids just blew my Event Opals...... Studio Monitors
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sooo some kids just blew my Event Opals......

Been a working my butt off throwing a birthday party for my 10 year old daughter. I locked my studio doors before the party started. Checked them twice thru out the day. The party ends and I go to enjoy a little producing. I go to grab the handle and the door is wide open. A Panic comes over me. Everything looks ok. I sit down and start working on a track I was in the middle of. I hit play and I get a horrible rattle in the bass frequencies. The speaker is clearly blown. My heart hits the floor. DAMN KIDS. I think to myself how the kids could open a locked door. The door has one of those locks you stick a pin or paper clip in to open. Well turns out my wife made skewers for the party and they are the perfect thing to open this style of lock with. Guess the kid walked in. Saw the shiny flashing volume knob on my UAD Apollo x8. Cranked it and hit the play button my control surface.

Moral of the story invest in a real lock.

So my question is. To my understanding Event is out of business and cannot repair these monitors( I could be mistaken). I could buy a replacement set Ive seen online for ($2100-2600) and have a backup or I could trash the the bad one. Sell the good one and invest in a better set of newer 3 way monitors. My question is I haven't looked into monitors in a very long time. What is comparable to the power of these and is the best set of monitors for 3-5k. I don't do much with acoustic instruments, mostly drum/synth based work. So having low end detail is nice and was nice in the Opals. Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Event was acquired by Rode. You might want to check with them for possibly getting them repaired (or they may have replacement parts)
Old 3 weeks ago
UGP
Gear Head

Sorry to hear that... I had a pair of Event TR8’s - one gave out and I ended up giving them away. Upgraded to ATC SCM25A and extremely pleased. You can find a good used pair for $5k if you are patient. But get the door lock first.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Event was acquired by Rode. You might want to check with them for possibly getting them repaired (or they may have replacement parts)

good to know .Thanks !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hedd Type 20 should be your 1st option, like the Opals, but cleaner in the mids and highs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Wow, sorry to hear that. Find who it was and ask the parents to pay up!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Hedd Type 20 should be your 1st option, like the Opals, but cleaner in the mids and highs.
Wow had not heard of these. They look like a winner. All the reviews are stellar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search