The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
word clock setup clarification Channel Strips
Old 20th January 2019
word clock setup clarification

hello!

i need some clarification regarding the following word clock setup:

i've just purchased the grimmaudio CC2 as my master clock generator. i was hoping that i will be able to connect grimmaudio to my weiss INT 203 firewire interface (2 channel firewire to AES/SPDIF interface) but that is not working. weiss accepts clock via SPDIF or AES only but grimmaudio has only 2 BNC outputs.

grimmaudio cc2 is now connected to my neve 8801 ADC card and from there the clock is distributed to weiss INT 203 via AES (i would also have an option to feed the word clock from the SPDIF out on my 8801 ADC to the SPDIF input on weiss)

so, my question is:
is the word clock signal from grimmaudio cc2 - which is now distributed to the weiss interface via neve ADCs AES (or SPDIF) - of the same quality as if the word clock signal would be fed directly from the grimmaudio cc2?

thanks,

vlado
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Guru

here is some reading for you from the way back machine !!! regarding your clocking questions .. WC vs AES .. Dan, question about AES vs Wordclock
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear
Here is it on the simple:

For all the devices you have connected digital, only one of them can be in charge of the word clock and all the rest must follow. If you use a word clock, that is the master. If you dont have one, typically the converters are the first choice. Whoever has the best internal clock is also a factor. The limits of each device to be set as a slave can also complicate things.

Whoever is in charge determines the sample rate, bit depth, and other details specific to the format like 56 channel vs 64 channel madi or 18 vs 20 bit SPDIF
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search