The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end gear in a small room. Studio Headphones
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict

High end gear in a small room.

Hi all,

I'm almost finished my spare room studio. Full acoustic treatment, and stocked with high end gear. I was wondering if anyone else has such a room with high end gear? I'm interested in how it has been approached.

A lot of smaller rooms I've seen tend to be more consumer based and therefore the room hasn't been approached as serious.
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-img_20190120_154753_155.jpg  
Old 20th January 2019
I'd call that room tiny, but still can have its place. It depends on what you're doing and the level of quality your service and product is. The role of small rooms can vary widely. In my case, mine is not public; I am the only one that uses it. Mine is 15'x14.5' and still considered small, but I have a ton of acoustic treatment and a lot of high end gear in there.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
I'd call that room tiny, but still can have its place. It depends on what you're doing and the level of quality your service and product is. The role of small rooms can vary widely. In my case, mine is not public; I am the only one that uses it. Mine is 15'x14.5' and still considered small, but I have a ton of acoustic treatment and a lot of high end gear in there.
Hey

Do you have any photos? Yeah it's a real small room. About 3m x 9m. It's just for me though so not as if I have a lot of people in it at any one time.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Nice! It's bigger than mine, too! Mine is 2.4m x 2.4m x 2.4m! It also doubles as my home office. I'm a guitarist, and I don't have loads of gear, but I try to buy nice quality gear when I do. How did you tackle the acoustic treatment?
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
Nice! It's bigger than mine, too! Mine is 2.4m x 2.4m x 2.4m! It also doubles as my home office. I'm a guitarist, and I don't have loads of gear, but I try to buy nice quality gear when I do. How did you tackle the acoustic treatment?
Hey, you got any photos? Really interested in how people have approached rooms like that.

Mostly bass trapping. I decided early on that I would sacrifice nearly half a metre either side to trap as much low end as possible. The ceiling boards were also ripped down and stuffed with rockwool and fabric covered so Ive done as much as I can to help the situation of a small room. I'm really happy with how it sounds thoigh when I've added all my gear this weekend it's obviously created a lot more reflections.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

My room is 13' x 16'. Solid rockwool behind board slats. Pretty dead, and that seems to work best. I also have found that placing my monitors right against the front wall sounds best. I use Dirac Live for digital room EQ.

Heidi (the mass of black fur on the floor) probably adds some additional absorption!
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-img_0020.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-img_0027.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-img_0028.jpg  
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Heidi (the mass of black fur on the floor) probably adds some additional absorption!
<Standard woofer pun>

To OP: Nice Juno 60, I miss the one I had at some point. :(
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
<Standard woofer pun>

Old 21st January 2019
Gear Nut

Small room here - heavy bass trapping and acoustic treatment makes it sound pretty damn decent. The wood floor is floating on shredded rubber over concrete and the walls are packed in rockwool.
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-81eed7f4-12fa-48a6-b6ff-8162604118c0.jpg  

Last edited by MixingStick; 21st January 2019 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: update
Old 21st January 2019
Here for the gear

Small room here, not great pictures but you get the idea. I'm going to build out as full set of rooms downstairs but for now a guest bedroom lets me record guitar and mix a little. Not the best pictures. Running mainly good frontend Focusrite Reds, Manely and Vintech with Silverface Apollo 8/16 and Twin with an Octo, Audient for overflow 34 in 26out.
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-img_20180624_174343.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-img_20180721_162814.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-img_20181029_212317.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-img_20181029_225310.jpg  
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

You make due with what you have. The electrons won't care about the size of the room, so you might as well use the good stuff.

Last edited by johnnyc; 22nd January 2019 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st January 2019
Good headphones won't care about the room size.
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Are there any particular headphones you'd recommend, Jim?

My room is sub-optimal, so I've been using headphones. Every so often I contemplate acoustic treatment and monitors, but I can't see a way to make them work. So, I keep returning to headphones, but I'm on the hunt to find a headphone system which is good for mixing etc.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

Millbrook Sound Studio

Here ya go....
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-console_7.jpg  
Old 21st January 2019
I got a small room like 12-15m2. Got it designed by a pretty famous architect here in Sweden. The results where very pleasing and its petty much perfect down to 100hz. The sweetspot is very small, like you could imagine but it was designed as a mix/write room. Even though it's small it doesn't feel like you're cramped in between gear like how it seems on OP pictures which i personally don't like if it was my workplace. Each to their own though!
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-img_20190121_192907.jpg  
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Here ya go....
Small room: check.
High-end gear: check check check.

I love Millbrook, by the way. Right off the Taconic.
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Which ones do you recommend Jim? I had some HD800s but couldn't get away with them. The new Adam's look tempting.
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here ya go....
That gear wall is a thing if beauty!!!
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I got a small room like 12-15m2. Got it designed by a pretty famous architect here in Sweden. The results where very pleasing and its petty much perfect down to 100hz. The sweetspot is very small, like you could imagine but it was designed as a mix/write room. Even though it's small it doesn't feel like you're cramped in between gear like how it seems on OP pictures which i personally don't like if it was my workplace. Each to their own though!
Yeah this is my issue. I tried packing stuff away but then found naturally I ended up just getting everything back out. I might end up renting a bigger room somewhere outside the house. Or moving to my garage!
Old 21st January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido View Post
Yeah this is my issue. I tried packing stuff away but then found naturally I ended up just getting everything back out. I might end up renting a bigger room somewhere outside the house. Or moving to my garage!
I got a desk design before like yours sort of, big fat desk with like 24ru. It looked very nice but i really like my current design with two movable rack units on the side. Very handy to get to the back of them if you need switching cables etc and my main desk is small so i can move it if i need to clean whatever. It also deep enough for me to put a midi keyboard ontop.

The key atleast for me was to make everything accessable but maintaining an airy feel to a small room.

I also been thinking of converting my garage haha! But i rarely have clients nowdays so I don't think my wife would approve haha! Good luck
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Awesome room! I'm using a Crane Song Spider as my centerpiece in my smallish room, and absolutely love it. What do you think of yours?

To the OP: I think small rooms are just fine. Treatment is a must, and this was a hard-learned lesson for me. Now that my room is fully treated (GIK Acoustics) with diffusion and absorption, it's much easier to get good results. It's so much cooler to get things with knobs, but treatment has such a huge affect on room sound.
Old 21st January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FretlessFury View Post
Awesome room! I'm using a Crane Song Spider as my centerpiece in my smallish room, and absolutely love it. What do you think of yours?

To the OP: I think small rooms are just fine. Treatment is a must, and this was a hard-learned lesson for me. Now that my room is fully treated (GIK Acoustics) with diffusion and absorption, it's much easier to get good results. It's so much cooler to get things with knobs, but treatment has such a huge affect on room sound.
I had mine for almost 10 years. So glad i decided to go big at the beginning, never have to worrie about preamps . It's been totally hazzle free and like you prob know, it sounds great.

Fun side note.. We did a shootout the other week at a friend's studio. U47, 269, cmv etc and we decided to use rme preamps so we could use 4 of the same pres at the same time. Got home listened and compared one take that i recorded with the spider/269c at home. Night and day, really. Couldn't belive how much better the spider sounded. So yeah i never ever thought about getting a neve or api since i always knew i got one of the best pre's ever made

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut
I love how you put your pedals on the wall like that. Very clever. I mean why not right? We all have velcro on the bottom of our pedals anyways.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Here ya go....
Did you build those racks yourself?
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which ones do you recommend Jim? I had some HD800s but couldn't get away with them. The new Adam's look tempting.
Have you tried Sonarworks? I have the hd650's and as much as I like them, Sonarworks made a significant difference. My room is 11 ft. x 14 ft. with 8 ft. ceilings so not exactly ideal for mixing but I treated it and use Sonarworks and am pretty happy. I didn't have enough room to put my ns10's and auratones next to my Dynaudio's so I put them....behind me. Just so happens, I'm digging it.

What's the deal with these images uploading sideways?
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-image1.jpeg   High end gear in a small room.-image4.jpeg   High end gear in a small room.-image3.jpeg   High end gear in a small room.-image2.jpeg  
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Try again
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-a3b010bd-49de-4e66-b4c3-f7c4fa0da620.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-8851afb8-7210-4ff0-9571-4b4d4c9712c6.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-023465b7-d973-453c-ba9d-6e81f1605e45.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-574d437b-ab70-4c3a-b988-8055505002b1.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Head

Hello from Egypt ... my room is small as well.. its around 3.75m X 5.5m and attached to it is a very small recording room (just around 3m X 2m).. I have done full acoustic treatment and then i installed AVAA C20 Active Bass Traps from PSI in addition to Trinnov ST2 Pro room correction hardware.. Now my room sounds very accurate..I have some nice hardware but still aiming to keep upgrading the gear along the way
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-img_1279.jpg   High end gear in a small room.-20181120_164624.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumnbass411 View Post
I love how you put your pedals on the wall like that. Very clever. I mean why not right? We all have velcro on the bottom of our pedals anyways.
Haha yeah, means they're more accessible. Rip the ones I want off and put them above the synths so I can play with them. Act as good diffusors too I suppose
Old 22nd January 2019
Quote:
Hey

Do you have any photos? Yeah it's a real small room. About 3m x 9m. It's just for me though so not as if I have a lot of people in it at any one time.
Other instruments and gear rack not shown, but I've invested more in acoustic treatment than anything else to combat the high levels of early reflections. There's more acoustic treatment now than what is shown here.

High end gear in a small room.-1464568-l.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
High end gear in a small room.-1464568-l.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
Other instruments and gear rack not shown, but I've invested more in acoustic treatment than anything else to combat the high levels of early reflections. There's more acoustic treatment now than what is shown here.

Love this! Definitely jealous of the size!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search