The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
all time favourite rooms to recording or mix Studio Monitors
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

all time favourite rooms to recording or mix

I am sure that there is already a thread like that, but I can't find it anywhere else.

I was wondering:
What are your favourite sounding recording room and control room. What is your favourite design and who made them?

I know that mixing and recording room are very different, but there is no need for two different threads!

I am sure that Bill Putnam is going to get a lot of love.

I heard that some of the mixing room in East West sound awesome for mixing, I love the sound of those rooms.

The room sound from sound city are some of my favourite when I listen to records that were made there.

I really enjoy Ronnie's Place in Nashville.

What's your sounding rooms and why?

Thank you!

p.s. I know that it's not in the acoustic forum, but people in that forum don't seem to like that question and tell me that there's no absolute great room, that we need to get all the measure to find out which one are great. I am asking the question as a recording and mixing engineer. I am talking about having a great experience!
Attached Images
all time favourite rooms to recording or mix-ronniesplace2.jpg all time favourite rooms to recording or mix-east-west.jpeg all time favourite rooms to recording or mix-maxresdefault.jpg 
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
I’ve been in some excellent rooms, but there is one room I’ve never been in that stands out.
I’m going to say Sound City in LA. As a mastering engineer in Los Angeles in the 70s and 80s, I heard work from all over the world, but with more from Los Angeles than anywhere else. I never heard anything recorded and mixed at Sound City that was less than stellar. Known groups, unknown groups, veterans, newbies, different engineers and producers, different genres... it didn’t seem to lower the quality of the sound. And with a couple of exceptions, they were studio recorded sessions, not sampled or computer generated.
There are so many things that factored in beside the rooms, but the recording room delivered the goods, and the control room, including board and monitors, allowed people to do great work, which they obviously heard very well.
I saw a TV special once, but I don’t remember who designed the rooms or what monitors they used.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I’ve been in some excellent rooms, but there is one room I’ve never been in that stands out.
I’m going to say Sound City in LA. As a mastering engineer in Los Angeles in the 70s and 80s, I heard work from all over the world, but with more from Los Angeles than anywhere else. I never heard anything recorded and mixed at Sound City that was less than stellar. Known groups, unknown groups, veterans, newbies, different engineers and producers, different genres... it didn’t seem to lower the quality of the sound. And with a couple of exceptions, they were studio recorded sessions, not sampled or computer generated.
There are so many things that factored in beside the rooms, but the recording room delivered the goods, and the control room, including board and monitors, allowed people to do great work, which they obviously heard very well.
I saw a TV special once, but I don’t remember who designed the rooms or what monitors they used.
I really love the fact that this comes from a mastering engineer point of view!
Yeah Sound City had an amazing room. From what I understand from the documentary, it was not really properly design by anybody either. It's mostly luck. It was the old warehouse of the vox factory. I remember seeing a lot of Yamaha NS-10 and Genelec on the console top. But I can't tell what they were mostly using. It's a sad thing that this studio' gone...

It's interesting that pretty much every thing coming from there was stellar. That place really had something I guess.

Thank you for that!
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Sound City re-opened a few years back. Rooms are the same. Consoles are different (Grohl bought one of the originals)
Sound City
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Sound City re-opened a few years back. Rooms are the same. Consoles are different (Grohl bought one of the originals)
Sound City
I know the room is pretty similar, but the control room is very different!
Old 20th January 2019
For mixing, any Northward Acoustics designed control room is hard to beat.

Live rooms, there are the usual suspects that come up: Avatar, Abbey Rd (studio 2 etc) but I'm quite partial to the four live rooms here (I guess I would be though as they were each designed to my requirements in terms of both reverb time and tonality).
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
For mixing, any Northward Acoustics designed control room is hard to beat.

Live rooms, there are the usual suspects that come up: Avatar, Abbey Rd (studio 2 etc) but I'm quite partial to the four live rooms here (I guess I would be though as they were each designed to my requirements in terms of both reverb time and tonality).
They do look amazing those rooms, who designed your rooms? And in what way do they sound so great? I will check Northward Acoustic design.

Thank you!
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

I do all my mixing at Dead Aunt Thelma’s studio here in Portland, which was designed by Russ Berger. It’s ruined any chance of me mixing in other rooms in town for me, which for the most part don’t have a lot of thought or effort put into room acoustics.
Attached Thumbnails
all time favourite rooms to recording or mix-5430fb60-b0ee-44c7-93cf-720493fa0f56.jpg  
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I do all my mixing at Dead Aunt Thelma’s studio here in Portland, which was designed by Russ Berger. It’s ruined any chance of me mixing in other rooms in town for me, which for the most part don’t have a lot of thought or effort put into room acoustics.
Great setup.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear
My dead aunts might be very jealous regarding the gear in those racks (their live nephew certainly is).
Old 20th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
They do look amazing those rooms, who designed your rooms? And in what way do they sound so great? I will check Northward Acoustic design.

Thank you!
Northward Acoustics did mine

Listen yourself here: YouTube
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

Blackbird studio A is lovely.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Northward Acoustics did mine

Listen yourself here: YouTube
Cool video, nice sound rooms! Love the wood one.
Old 22nd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
Cool video, nice sound rooms! Love the wood one.
Thank you man. In simple terms:

Big room = open sounding
wooden room = dark sounding
stone room = mid scooped
white room = bright sounding
booth = neutral
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

when i mixed outside of sigma i found the easiest rooms to mix in were Red Bus outside of london and i forget if was sunset or sunrise room at criteria..sound castle in LA was pretty good too
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search