The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with Cranesong Solaris Audio Interfaces
Old 19th January 2019
Help with Cranesong Solaris

Well i got my Cranesong Solaris Today. From what i hear there is a lot of detail.
I tired usb and aes. Usb has a sounds a bit more open. I was also using the MK1 clock of the pad. And it is a really good clock holds up well. My question is i want to use the Solaris clock anyway to do this? How is yours clocked. I am on a Mac.
I know there is supposed to be one master clock right? Any Help would be great.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
Well i got my Cranesong Solaris Today. From what i hear there is a lot of detail.
I tired usb and aes. Usb has a sounds a bit more open. I was also using the MK1 clock of the pad. And it is a really good clock holds up well. My question is i want to use the Solaris clock anyway to do this? How is yours clocked. I am on a Mac.
I know there is supposed to be one master clock right? Any Help would be great.
I don't think the Solaris has word clock outputs.
I'd imagine its clocking from your system via digital inputs.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Maniac

The Sound On Sound review here explains a bit about clocking on the Solaris. There are no word clock outputs.
Old 19th January 2019
Thanks guys
Old 19th January 2019
Its digital clocking. Can I use two different clocks. Or one has to be the master.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
One has to be the master.
Old 19th January 2019
Thanks guys also another question there are two main outs. Are they the same?
Because i already have a Dangerous st and there is a volume knob on the Cranesong. And i want it straight to the dangerous.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Thanks guys also another question there are two main outs. Are they the same?
Because i already have a Dangerous st and there is a volume knob on the Cranesong. And i want it straight to the dangerous.
Well, what a coincidence. I check the high-end forum and right at the top is a thread about the DAC I got a few weeks ago!

Most (including myself) agree that the fixed output of the Solaris sounds better than the main output with the stepped attenuator. However, the device you use for volume control can have a substantial effect on the sound. I tried the TC Level Pilot first, but the A-Designs ATTY sounds much better. (They're both passive attenuators.)

Since you're using a monitor controller anyway, you're good to go with the secondary fixed output.
Old 19th January 2019
Wow I tired both and your right the second sounds better. It seemed to have more upper mid detail to me. So I decided to use that.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Wow I tired both and your right the second sounds better. It seemed to have more upper mid detail to me. So I decided to use that.
Wow, that was quick!

I also noticed that the DDC used with the Solaris can change the sound quite a bit. At first, I used simple USB and thought it was fine...until I tried optical TOSLINK via my Behringer UCA202. It impressed me so much that I got a Gustard U12 to output AES, S/PDIF, etc. to the Solaris. I find the Gustard to be more technically precise while the Behringer can be more musically engaging with some recordings.
Old 19th January 2019
Really I would try the toslink. But I have nothing to plugin to. But I should be fine going aes clocking from the pad mk2. I am interested in the new ad coming out the interstellar. When I have no idea.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut

How new is your Mac? They only removed optical from the 3.5mm headphone jack a few years ago.
Old 22nd January 2019
Well I am using High Sierra. But I am using a Hackintosh I build. Was really not happy how that Macs were when I needed to upgrade.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search