The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Metric Halo 3D users with LTL Silver Bullet Audio Interfaces
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Head

Any Metric Halo 3D users with LTL Silver Bullet

Hi
I’m currently running 2 LIO-8s both upgraded to 3D, one with 4 pres installed. Tracking and mixing mostly analog synths, vocals, DI bass and guitars. Working great so far.

I was looking to add a more colored pre or channelstrip for another flavor when tracking or processing individual tracks from the LIO.

Another option would be to add a Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet. Any MH users using one along side a ULN-8 or LIO-8? Was curious how much an improvement the pres are for tracking and the tone amps vs the new 3D Character options for additional color for tracks and 2 buss.

Thanks
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

I can't reply to your question since I never tested that very combo..

But since you're tracking synths I might suggest you to look into the Avedis KP6 (KeyPre).. Thought specifically with synths and keys in mind.

The MH is really good indeed and the 3D card makes them virtually futureproof.

You might simply need the correct impedance that both the converters line in and the synths need to "see"..

Cheu
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head

Hi there,

I have both the MH ULN8 (with preamps) and the Silver Bullet. The Metric Halo preamps are great. They just work. I never think about whether I'm sacrificing any quality with those. I tend to use either a character insert or the hardware inserts. That said, the other day I didn't have anything inserted and the tone was fantastic. Obviously the microphones are going to make a huge difference. I was using mostly ribbons to mic up a drum kit so they lended a lot to the tone of things. I could be happy with just the Metric Halo (and nice microphones).

The Silver Bullet adds more tonal options. The texture you can get between the Neve and API amps is nice. Tilting things with the EQ is also a plus. It's very easy and intuitive to use even when tracking on your own in a one person setup. The metering is great. So you can see what's going on from a distance (I never thought about how helpful this is). It also has the added bonus of turning into a stellar stem and 2 buss processor.

Will the quality difference between the Metric Halo and Silver Bullet preamps be night and day? Not in my experience. But they're different. The Metric Halo is great for getting out of the way. Everything is easy about it. The Silver Bullet is great for adjusting tone. If you're looking for something to add some grit, heft, or brilliance on the way in the SB does that very well. Want more bite? Boost presence. Want more sparkle? boost air. Want more thump? boost bass. Want more size boost sub. Of course all of these things work the other way around and are just as useful subtracting. The nice things about the SB is that it's hard to screw it up.

I have my Silver Bullet on kick and snare mics. I use the Neve with a healthy boost on bass and presence with tight and vintage engaged. Sounds nice to me. Hope that is helpful.

A.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search