The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mercury Am16 pre and API 525 comp Channel Strip Plugins
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Mercury Am16 pre and API 525 comp

I'm quite fond of both of these units.

Both pieces just work for me on my vocals.

The 525 seems to respond to my vocals in a way that few others do.

I've found that I can sonically dance with it. I love feedback style compressors and this one is no exception.

Its not just a threshold on and off kind of thing. It responds to the dynamic and color that you give it and it gives back in return.

I never see anyone really talk about either piece . Particularly the Mercury.

Occasionally I'll receive a pm from someone asking me about the AM 16.

Ive never posted a file of the Mercury AM 16, so I'll have finally posted one

The Mercury AM 16 is cleanish with a sweetish twist. If I push the input gain, it give me lots of color which is sweet, classy, and very American sounding.

if I lay off the input stage well things clean up quickly, as expected.

In this sonic example, the Mercury 's input gain is set to the 4th of 5 input gain stages, into the API 525 at a 2:1 ratio, de-easer engaged.

It's done in one take, no "auto tune" , no fx, pure vocal into :

Telefunken U47AE >Mercury AM16> API 525 >Lynx Aurora > UAD API channel strip, only EQ' s engaged. Minimum eq.

No mastering comp, no additional eq.

You'll notice how the 525 responds as I start to open up the vocals.

I purposely start a touch on the demure side, then open it up more and more as we build the emotional intent of the song giving it more emo content (which does not necessarily mean louder, but there are moments where you'll hear me push it to show how it responds as we travel up to the bridge, then I'll go to another level with the 525 at that point. At this point, while Cornell goes introspective, I give it a healthy amount of projection and support.

Listen to how the 525 responds to the dynamics and listen to the coloration as it subtly shifts.

It reacts and responds.

In regards to the Am16,

Marquette doesn't get enough love and these two together work quite well or so I think and feel.

Kepp in mind that Soundcloud tends to click for some reason, if you're listening from Android. I can assure that the FLAC file that I uploaded is clean as a whistle.

Update:

Oops just notice that the file normalized on the way out of the DAW while converting to FLAC. That's what happens when you do something rushed at 2 am.

I didn't listen to the conversion prior to uploading. (sorry about that)

I'll reload at - 18 later tonight, time allowing

Enjoy

Listen to Like A Stone by Somaspirit #np on #SoundCloud
Like A Stone by Somaspirit | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited by outUVphaze; 4 days ago at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
Very cool, my api 527 sees a lot more use than my 525. Maybe I should make a point of it patching in the 525 a little more often.

I've also got a Mercury m72s, which is a different animal to be sure, but I do enjoy it.

thanks for the samples! Very cool.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Very cool, my api 527 sees a lot more use than my 525. Maybe I should make a point of it patching in the 525 a little more often.

I've also got a Mercury m72s, which is a different animal to be sure, but I do enjoy it.

thanks for the samples! Very cool.

Thanks for the reply. It's my pleasure.

The build quality of Mercury is 2nd to none. Built like a tanks sounds awfully sweet.

The one pre of theirs that didn't do it for me was the grand pre. But from the Am16 on up, I love his gear.

I have his AM16's circa 2008, prior to his journey into 500 series.

The 72 is golden. Totally golden.
Glad that you're digging it.

I find that the 525 just does something different, as in its own niche.

I'm in a 525 state of mind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search