The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass Guitar Tone SUCKS!!!! Need advice!!!
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Find a bass player that's into Reggae.

I thought he was! Said he played with Dennis Brown when he was younger!

You’re absolutely right though. I seriously didn’t expect that response when I asked him to dial in his tone before the jam session. :0/
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Flat wounds and perhaps mute the strings with foam ?
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Guru

I play bass, I've mostly used half-rounds. But I could get all the bass I needed no matter which strings I used.
Old 26th January 2019
js1
Lives for gear

Here's another thought.

You must have some bands that are similar in sound to what you're going for. Maybe sit down as a band, play some sample tracks, and talk about what you like about the sound. Statements like "that bass is WAY up front, and it makes the track", might open up the conversation.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

To me, you really need a bass with flats to do proper reggae tone. I also would prefer a short scale bass sound, myself, but that's just me. Do you have one set up for that to let him try to see the difference?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear
I've been following this thread at work without listening to the audio examples. Now that I have had time to listen I think I would probably try to steer this by "ruining" the track by throwing a subharmonic synthesizer plugin and massive eq on the recorded bass track(with the collusion of the other band members)to get it closer to what is needed and play it back for the band. Don't make it sound good , just get the bottom end in there and then every one can agree that it "fits the tune better this way, can we maybe re record it with the BG like this?"
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
Here's another thought.

You must have some bands that are similar in sound to what you're going for. Maybe sit down as a band, play some sample tracks, and talk about what you like about the sound. Statements like "that bass is WAY up front, and it makes the track", might open up the conversation.

I sent some YouTube examples of really successful Reggae bands that have a similar tone to what I’m after. One of them is Chronixx which I also posted a live snippet of in this thread. He was actually familiar with Chronixx, said he was a big fan. I had hoped he’d sit down and study it and make some adjustments but he didn’t.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
To me, you really need a bass with flats to do proper reggae tone. I also would prefer a short scale bass sound, myself, but that's just me. Do you have one set up for that to let him try to see the difference?

While I think this could potentially help in certain situations, with all due respect...I don’t think this is true. Flatwounds as de facto for Reggae is a myth perpetuated on the Internet.

Yes the grand master Aston “Family Man” Barrett used Flatwounds but there are literally dozens of other renown Reggae bass players who used Steinbergers etc. with roundwounds. Just search the internet and you’ll come across all the pictures.

Besides that, most of the modern Reggae bassies out of Jamaica are using active 5-strings with roundwounds, especially when they play live. I have a p-bass with flats and an active 5-string with rounds and prefer the rounds by a country mile. It goes so much deeper than my p-bass there is no comparison.

I’ll use the p-bass if I’m doing old School Rocksteady or foundation roots but for Reggae that has more than “two-chords” I’m using the active with rounds every time.

*NOTE: The tone is in the fingers NOT in the gear!
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
While I think this could potentially help in certain situations, with all due respect...I don’t think this is true. Flatwounds as de facto for Reggae is a myth perpetuated on the Internet.

Yes the grand master Aston “Family Man” Barrett used Flatwounds but there are literally dozens of other renown Reggae bass players who used Steinbergers etc. with roundwounds. Just search the internet and you’ll come across all the pictures.

Besides that, most of the modern Reggae bassies out of Jamaica are using active 5-strings with roundwounds, especially when they play live. I have a p-bass with flats and an active 5-string with rounds and prefer the rounds by a country mile. It goes so much deeper than my p-bass there is no comparison.

I’ll use the p-bass if I’m doing old School Rocksteady or foundation roots but for Reggae that has more than “two-chords” I’m using the active with rounds every time.

*NOTE: The tone is in the fingers NOT in the gear!
Sure, people can do it a lot of ways. I just meant that, for me, flats are really the sound that I like for this type of music and I also think it would help with this particular bass player. If you play with the tone controls and the right amp you can certainly do it with rounds, too. But if you have a bass player who is used to funk, taking away the option to be super bright and zingy by getting him to try flats might be a good way to steer him towards the right direction.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
Sure, people can do it a lot of ways. I just meant that, for me, flats are really the sound that I like for this type of music and I also think it would help with this particular bass player. If you play with the tone controls and the right amp you can certainly do it with rounds, too. But if you have a bass player who is used to funk, taking away the option to be super bright and zingy by getting him to try flats might be a good way to steer him towards the right direction.

OK. I agree with this statement.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 26th January 2019 at 08:34 PM..
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

if he is a funk player he wont like flatwounds. he is into Bright. the 10s rigg reflects that.

if you add a couple of 15s underneath the 10s, you can still have the bright, but you can have some more lows, which is what your missing.

try adding a couple of 15s to the equation as well as the 10s. easy to try and nothings lost.

Buddha
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search