The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Surge Protection for my JBL's
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Surge Protection for my JBL's

Hey all. We had a power outage last night while I was in the studio, and all my JBL 6328P's made a massive pop. Not good. Currently they're all plugged into the surge-only outlets of a Tripp-Lite UPS, but that's obviously inadequate. What brand and type of surge suppressor do you recommend to absolutely, positively protect my precious and nearly irreplaceable monitors, both when the power is cut and when it comes back on? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

I use the cheapest Furman surge protector, the M-8x2. I haven't had any issues with monitor pops; I've certainly had enough tests, what with the power outages around here. Maybe you'd want something more upscale.
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
I use the cheapest Furman surge protector, the M-8x2. I haven't had any issues with monitor pops; I've certainly had enough tests, what with the power outages around here. Maybe you'd want something more upscale.
Interesting. I use the Furman M-8S. It's a power sequencer, power conditioner, and surge protector. However, like yours, it has sacrificial components, so if a surge is strong enough, it should protect the components it's connected to, but the unit itself may need to be repaired or replaced afterwards.

It's better to get something with non-sacrificial surge protection. The Furman PST-8D I previously owned had that, along with some of the same technology as higher-end Furmans.

Series Multi-Stage Protection | Furman Power | Purifying power for over 40 years.
Extreme Voltage Shutdown | Furman Power | Purifying power for over 40 years.
Linear Filtration Technology | Furman Power | Purifying power for over 40 years.

Since I'm using a five figure system, I should definitely upgrade my Furman. (Trying to decide on one in the Prestige series.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
What brand and type of surge suppressor do you recommend to absolutely, positively protect my precious and nearly irreplaceable monitors, both when the power is cut and when it comes back on? Any suggestions appreciated.
Furman claim their models with the tech linked above have "the most comprehensive protection available."

The PST-8 and PST-8D are a little over $100. As you go up the range, you get more features, which may or may not be useful to you. They have a few UPS products too.

With non-sequencing Furmans (etc.), it's best to manually turn your equipment on/off in the proper order rather than flipping the power switch of the Furman. I got a sequencer to do that automatically without having to worry about speaker pops. My newest DAC has an auto-mute function, so I believe I should be able to safely use a non-sequencing single-switch solution.

Whether you'll have problems really depends on your specific setup.

Last edited by audiofanatic; 11th January 2019 at 04:56 AM..
Old 11th January 2019
Instead of a surge protector, you might consider a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). If you have a power outage, the UPS will provide enough power for you to safety power down. In addition, UPS units offer surge protection. Some units also provide voltage correction. Real sine wave UPS are preferable to simulated sine wave units if you can afford it.

UPS units have lead acid batteries inside. The batteries last for years, but you might need to replace them at some point. The units typically have a display that will warn you when the batteries are marginal.

The combined current draw for two JBL 6328P speakers is 350 watts. Any UPS over 500 watts rating should be fine. If you're running a DAW and outboard gear, you might want to get a larger UPS and protect all your gear. Add up the watt rating of each item (usually found on the rear panel) and buy a unit that's larger than that total.

CyberPower PR1500LCDRT2UN Smart App Sinewave UPS PR1500LCDRT2UN

CyberPower Smart App LCD UPS Series 2U OR1500LCDRTXL2U B&H Photo
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Anyway, I've had my Furman for 5 years at least, and it has survived many power outages and violent thunderstorms. Since it only cost about $50, I figure it's been a pretty good deal for basic protection. I'd definitely get another one if I had to.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info. The snooty (and expensive) brand seems to be Surgex, but I'm definitely looking at Furman options as well.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Head
Just thought I'd pop in and report that I went for the Furman P-1800 PF R. I'm definitely hearing an improvement, and it has many features my M-8S (which I'm now selling) lacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
Anyway, I've had my Furman for 5 years at least, and it has survived many power outages and violent thunderstorms. Since it only cost about $50, I figure it's been a pretty good deal for basic protection. I'd definitely get another one if I had to.
Most of the time, a sacrificial surge protector will be fine. However, if a strong enough surge damages it, you may not always be able to tell, and it could compromise its performance and, in the worst case, allow the equipment it's supposed to protect to be damaged in the future. There's a lot of info out there on this topic. (But again, this is most likely not something you need to worry about.)

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The snooty (and expensive) brand seems to be Surgex, but I'm definitely looking at Furman options as well.
What did you end up getting?
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofanatic View Post
Just thought I'd pop in and report that I went for the Furman P-1800 PF R. I'm definitely hearing an improvement, and it has many features my M-8S (which I'm now selling) lacks.

Most of the time, a sacrificial surge protector will be fine. However, if a strong enough surge damages it, you may not always be able to tell, and it could compromise its performance and, in the worst case, allow the equipment it's supposed to protect to be damaged in the future. There's a lot of info out there on this topic. (But again, this is most likely not something you need to worry about.)

What did you end up getting?
Nothing yet. Still pondering while living dangerously.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Nothing yet. Still pondering while living dangerously.
hmm. Well, there are some great deals on the used market (including eBay) if you wanted to get something better at the same price point.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmm. Well, there are some great deals on the used market (including eBay) if you wanted to get something better at the same price point.
Thanks. That P-1800 PF R looks like a great choice. Not cheap, but neither is replacing my monitors.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Thanks. That P-1800 PF R looks like a great choice. Not cheap, but neither is replacing my monitors.
That's a model in the Prestige series. Their more affordable Classic series has the same surge protection, if that's your priority.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a model in the Prestige series. Their more affordable Classic series has the same surge protection, if that's your priority.
Yeah, you're right. The PL-8C would probably cover it just fine at about a third the cost.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search