The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why no modern high end consoles with the footprint of a Studer 169?
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Why no modern high end consoles with the footprint of a Studer 169?

The 169 footprint seems perfect for small production studios, I’m wondering why someone doesn’t make a small high end analog console.

I’ve been looking at consoles and the 169 seems much more fun and ergonomic (for my purposes) than something like a Chandler Mini Mixer.

The API box is one option but still I think the 169 is smaller, and somehow they made it sound great in that footprint.

I found this picture on an old Reverb listing (price was $7500).
Attached Thumbnails
Why no modern high end consoles with the footprint of a Studer 169?-4e4d5ed9-3ee9-4383-a548-b858db01ab11.jpeg  
Old 10th January 2019
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
With no EQ, no compressors, and Dsubs

The 169 is a win for the price
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Addict

Sonosax?
Sonosax Mixers – Sonosax
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
With no EQ, no compressors, and Dsubs

The 169 is a win for the price
I wonder what the 169 cost originally. That would be the real cost comparison (adjusted for current currency value.) Companies don't price their products against used/old equipment after all and there may be no market. Modular and expandable seem to be what buyers want now.

There were a lot of different channel configurations made of the 169 (some bigger than the one you posted a photo of.)

There's the Aurora Sidecar at $25k but that may be too big of a beast.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
I wonder what the 169 cost originally. That would be the real cost comparison (adjusted for current currency value.) Companies don't price their products against used/old equipment after all and there may be no market. Modular and expandable seem to be what buyers want now.

There were a lot of different channel configurations made of the 169 (some bigger than the one you posted a photo of.)

There's the Aurora Sidecar at $25k but that may be too big of a beast.
That's a good point about original cost

If they could make a small good sounding mixer back then

Question is why can't they do that today?

Having those 10-12 faders in front of you with a master bus meters

And even just some 500 series slots

At that footprint seems like a winner
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie View Post
Interesting. Never heard of them...
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Interesting. Never heard of them...
Swiss and expensive. Used widely by location film sound folks, so look at vendors like Trew Audio for info.

Well liked by many classical sound recordists, too.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

+2 on Sonosax. The Cadac Live 1 may be of interest.

Andre
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
+2 on Sonosax. The Cadac Live 1 may be of interest.

Andre
Cadac Live 1 looks perfect

Thank you Gearslutz !
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Here’s an article about a Live 1 being used in a nice US studio:

US places first Cadac Live1 console into recording studio
Old 10th January 2019
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

those small Studers were very expensive back then.
like 30,000$ for 10 channels expensive.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
those small Studers were very expensive back then.
like 30,000$ for 10 channels expensive.
Then they are a bargain today, even at the prices much higher than five years ago.

Shhh. Don’t tell anyone .....
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

the time when Studers were available at bargain prices (500$-2500$) is long over.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
the time when Studers were available at bargain prices (500$-2500$) is long over.
Yes, but even at today’s prices (5-6k?)

Compared to everything else...

It’s ok
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

depends on what you are looking for.
if you want a small discrete 8 -10 or even 12 channel mixer, then yes, Studers and Acoustas are great in that league.
if you want something larger, D&R's or Amek consoles are available at 1500€ - 3000€.

remember:
anything that old will require a full recapping and calibration job.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

It does not have buss faders but it does one outstanding feature at its price point: sweepable to 400 Hz HPFs. APB Pro Rack House

Andre
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
It does not have buss faders but it does one outstanding feature at its price point: sweepable to 400 Hz HPFs. APB Pro Rack House

Andre
Thanks. They should trade a console to a Gearslut web designer in exchange for a new website that doesn’t look like it was built 2006
Old 4th February 2020
Here for the gear

+3 on Sonosax Mixers

In term of space it's unbeatable

Great sounding small console with high quality mic preamp , musical EQ and compressors / limiters on each channel

I never heard a Studer 169 console. The Sonosax SX-T is a late 1990's/2000 era and is certainly one of the best small console ever made.
Compete easily any SSL and Neve console in term of purity and transparence in sound.

Sonosax makes great products and is expensive.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 5th February 2020
AMS Neve have reissued the BCM10. Isn't the API 1608 available this small too or similar at least.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
AMS Neve have reissued the BCM10. Isn't the API 1608 available this small too or similar at least.
These are quite “big” desks compared to the size of a sonosax or a Studer 169 or a 961.

I hope some companies will come up with an high quality consolette, that is reasonably priced, nice routing (with 4 sends and fx returns built in), small musical eq and a flexible great sounding compressor on the main channels..

The SSL XL desk and the Api Box2 are two options that are similar to what I think the OP is looking, but they both miss some functions/routing options that at that price should be included... (the SSL almost have everything on board, but still misses few imho important details)..

my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 5th February 2020
t_d
Lives for gear

tree audio consoles fit that description exactly.. but they cost $$$$

i remember when i was looking for a small, compact "pro" mixer (finally settled on and currently use and love an API Box (recently moved to a "2") i was really interested in the Oram 8T. loved the look and footprint, though if i recall it had a pretty bad rep around here (?) another one i almost went for was the audient asp4816, but, like the API, it has a bit of a bigger footprint than the Studer...
Old 6th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
These are quite “big” desks compared to the size of a sonosax or a Studer 169 or a 961.

I hope some companies will come up with an high quality consolette, that is reasonably priced, nice routing (with 4 sends and fx returns built in), small musical eq and a flexible great sounding compressor on the main channels..

The SSL XL desk and the Api Box2 are two options that are similar to what I think the OP is looking, but they both miss some functions/routing options that at that price should be included... (the SSL almost have everything on board, but still misses few imho important details)..

my 0.02$,

Cheu
The BCM10 might be a bit bigger in the box, but the studer was designed to be mounted in a 19” rack - and when it is its the same size as one of their 1/2” machines.

Not sure the bcm10 is that much bigger - but check out the price, ouch!

https://www.audiochocolate.com.au/al...annel-console/
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear
Drule,,,,,,,
10 channels of Neve style inductor EQ done right. 5K a pop...there is half the $
I had to settle for 8 channel of ADM hooked up to a patch bay. 0.5K a pop.

Analog EQ with quality is hard to find at a decent cost. To me EQ is the main thing you get from a Mixer. If no EQ, it's just a summer and some routing.
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

if you really think about it, Studers and the likes are still very cheap for what they are/offer in terms of quality.
any new console of comparable quality is 25000€ or (a lot) more.
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

cadac and ark consoles are two other current options...

(btw: there's currently a very nice rackmount cadac on sale via fleabay in the u.s.)
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The BCM10 might be a bit bigger in the box, but the studer was designed to be mounted in a 19” rack - and when it is its the same size as one of their 1/2” machines.

Not sure the bcm10 is that much bigger - but check out the price, ouch!

https://www.audiochocolate.com.au/al...annel-console/
I see..I believe it's still bigger than a 169 or 961, plus with 92k I'd probably get something else with more channels..
or getting an Aurora sidecar with all the bells&whistles routing options, for much, much less (like 4 times less money..!).

the 169 could be found still for rather reasonable prices, given its quality.

I wonder who's buying the new bcm10's..

Cheu
Old 7th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I see..I believe it's still bigger than a 169 or 961, plus with 92k I'd probably get something else with more channels..
or getting an Aurora sidecar with all the bells&whistles routing options, for much, much less (like 4 times less money..!).

the 169 could be found still for rather reasonable prices, given its quality.

I wonder who's buying the new bcm10's..

Cheu
Yeah. The price is insane. But hey...someone must be interested! What's the price for an original if it comes up?
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Guru

There is a new small Neve coming, I have heard, I think any day now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search