The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Burl new BDA4M Card for B80 Digital Converters
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Addict

Burl new BDA4M Card for B80

wow, Check out the new Burl
Attached Thumbnails
Burl new BDA4M Card for B80-570e64d6-9b74-4bee-94cb-230fea458360.jpg  

Last edited by bzone; 9th January 2019 at 04:14 AM..
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Head
Wow !! Nice to have the transformers option.
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Addict

Been doing a lot of testing/listening with the new BDA4, Compared against BDA8, Convert 2. Have not listened to the B2 DAC next to it. However the new BDA4 is the same except for the stepped output and the BX5 in and out feature. Have the B32 and the B2 ADC. This new card has a revealing quality that I like. Next step up maybe. Need to listen with the new op amp without BX5. Should be out the end of this month.
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

I really wish Burl would make the AD equivalent of this card... the ability to turn off the transformer and adjust the trim on the front panel would really make the Burl a much more flexible/powerful option. I always wonder what happened to the transformer-less conversion card that was going to come out as well.
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
I really wish Burl would make the AD equivalent of this card... the ability to turn off the transformer and adjust the trim on the front panel would really make the Burl a much more flexible/powerful option. I always wonder what happened to the transformer-less conversion card that was going to come out as well.
As soon as I saw the BDA4M I immediately felt that a "BAD4M" must be in the pipeline. I don't have inside information, just a strong hunch...
Old 6th March 2019
I've been using a BDA4M for the last few days.

This one has 2 channels with the new BOPA14 op amps and 2 channels with the new BOPA11 op amps. The idea is to use the BOPA14 pair for feeding the analog mastering chain and the BOPA11 pair is for monitoring. Basically this one little card does the job of both of my B2 DACs, plus it gives me more options (switchable transformers).

Mastering via the BOPA14 pair is a pleasure. It has that open quality, Burly soundstage and extended low end you'd expect. I can engage the BX5 transformers when I want that dash of character, fattened bottom end and smoother top. Nice.

Monitoring via the BOPA11 pair is revealing. The sheer detail is impressive. Sounds a touch "colder" than the B2 DAC that I'm used to using, but for monitoring it turns out I like the definition and imaging. Clarity for days. I can really hear "into" the music. As long as I keep using it for monitoring I guess I won't ever use the BX5s on that pair...

No matter how I set it, every channel has that discrete class A purity of sound that Burl gear is known for. This BDA4M is a winner!

Attached Thumbnails
Burl new BDA4M Card for B80-img-2963.jpg  
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
I've been using a BDA4M for the last few days.

This one has 2 channels with the new BOPA14 op amps and 2 channels with the new BOPA11 op amps. The idea is to use the BOPA14 pair for feeding the analog mastering chain and the BOPA11 pair is for monitoring. Basically this one little card does the job of both of my B2 DACs, plus it gives me more options (switchable transformers).

Mastering via the BOPA14 pair is a pleasure. It has that open quality, Burly soundstage and extended low end you'd expect. I can engage the BX5 transformers when I want that dash of character, fattened bottom end and smoother top. Nice.

Monitoring via the BOPA11 pair is revealing. The sheer detail is impressive. Sounds a touch "colder" than the B2 DAC that I'm used to using, but for monitoring it turns out I like the definition and imaging. Clarity for days. I can really hear "into" the music. As long as I keep using it for monitoring I guess I won't ever use the BX5s on that pair...

No matter how I set it, every channel has that discrete class A purity of sound that Burl gear is known for. This BDA4M is a winner!

Was the BOPA11 custom ordered?

Any more descriptions between the original BDA8 and the new op amp upgrade? I’ve been thinking about it for my 2x BDA8 and my B32 summing mixer and am very curious to hear your thoughts on if you think it is worth it? More open? Smoother? Brighter? Darker?
Old 6th March 2019
Quote:
Was the BOPA11 custom ordered?

Any more descriptions between the original BDA8 and the new op amp upgrade? I’ve been thinking about it for my 2x BDA8 and my B32 summing mixer and am very curious to hear your thoughts on if you think it is worth it? More open? Smoother? Brighter? Darker?
The BOPA11 is their newest op amp design and my understanding is that it will soon be available as a standard option in certain units, if not already available. I'm sure Burl dealers will know more detail on that soon. I received mine as an unofficial "beta tester", basically.

I upgraded my BDA8 with BOPA14s a while back and it is a step up. The original op amps sounded really great, and the newer op amps bump up the detail, depth and imaging a bit more yet. It's like a 5% to 10% improvement kinda thing. Significant but not life-changing. I'm still totally happy with all the work I did with the old op amps, but I'm also happy to have upgraded. I think it's worth it in the BDA8s. I no longer have my B32 so I can't comment from experience there, and I didn't know it was an option to upgrade the B32 that way, but if it is an option then I'd expect it to be a similar improvement.

Hope this helps!
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The BOPA11 is their newest op amp design and my understanding is that it will soon be available as a standard option in certain units, if not already available. I'm sure Burl dealers will know more detail on that soon. I received mine as an unofficial "beta tester", basically.

I upgraded my BDA8 with BOPA14s a while back and it is a step up. The original op amps sounded really great, and the newer op amps bump up the detail, depth and imaging a bit more yet. It's like a 5% to 10% improvement kinda thing. Significant but not life-changing. I'm still totally happy with all the work I did with the old op amps, but I'm also happy to have upgraded. I think it's worth it in the BDA8s. I no longer have my B32 so I can't comment from experience there, and I didn't know it was an option to upgrade the B32 that way, but if it is an option then I'd expect it to be a similar improvement.

Hope this helps!
Yes, this helps! Thank you!

Interesting about the BOPA11. Was it designed specifically for monitoring?
Old 6th March 2019
Quote:
Interesting about the BOPA11. Was it designed specifically for monitoring?
I got the impression that it was designed with monitoring in mind, but also for all purpose use. It's part of Burl's "Next-Gen".
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got the impression that it was designed with monitoring in mind, but also for all purpose use. It's part of Burl's "Next-Gen".
Have you experimented with it much as a DA in mixing/mastering as part of the signal chain? Did you ever prefer it over the BOPA14?

You described it being "colder"... is it more linear/clean? More open? Just curious. Thanks!
Old 6th March 2019
this is really cool!
Old 6th March 2019
Quote:
Have you experimented with it much as a DA in mixing/mastering as part of the signal chain? Did you ever prefer it over the BOPA14?
I haven't used the BOPA11s in the processing chain yet but I plan on trying that when time permits. I expect that it will sound a little more crisp, which will suit some tasks more than others. I also already have a BDA4 with BOPA14s so having a BDA4M/BOPA11 pair for processing would give me every possible combination.

Quote:
You described it being "colder"... is it more linear/clean? More open? Just curious. Thanks!
Colder than the B2 DAC, yes. The B2 DAC is flat with a slightly sweet tonality. It's really comfortable to listen to. The BDA4M/BOPA11 is flat with a more honest clarity to it. It's not such a big difference that my processing decisions will be different. Both DACs are from the same family of awesome but they're siblings not twins.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Addict

Now I’m a little concerned. I tested the new BDA4 card with the 14 op amp in it. Sent it back thinking the new BDA4M had 14’s on it but has the 11’s in it. Might have to change things up. Sounds like Burl switched op Amps out for you. Need to speak to Will about this.
Old 7th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Now I’m a little concerned. I tested the new BDA4 card with the 14 op amp in it. Sent it back thinking the new BDA4M had 14’s on it but has the 11’s in it. Might have to change things up. Sounds like Burl switched op Amps out for you. Need to speak to Will about this.
To be clear, the BDA4M that I have has both 11s and 14s in it. I believe both are available options, or will be soon. What's to be concerned about?
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
To be clear, the BDA4M that I have has both 11s and 14s in it. I believe both are available options, or will be soon. What's to be concerned about?
The option for the M card has 11’s only at his time. Mixed through the BDA4 card with the 14’s and bx5. The detail was incredible, even compared to the first DAC 8 cards. Wanted the option on the M card to remove bx5, and level controllers. Don’t know what the difference will be to my ear with the 11’s. Have one slot left in my B-80. Want what I heard with the 14’s. Best DAC I have ever heard. I Like how you upgraded you cards. I have not checked to see if this is possible. Would like the option of 11’s and 14’s on one card. In fact this is a must at this time.
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Addict

BDAC4M

Quote:
None now, 11’s on top, 14’s on the bottom
Attached Thumbnails
Burl new BDA4M Card for B80-234352cb-cc0d-4ad0-99e5-a9a473eb18ff.jpg  
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear

can you describe the sound of the monitoring pair dac? how is it compared to a cranesong solaris?
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduy View Post
can you describe the sound of the monitoring pair dac? how is it compared to a cranesong solaris?
Never used the Solaris. However, the new 11 opamps in the DAC are very clean and precise. This is an incredibly clear DAC to monitor and mix through. These Burl DAC’s keep getting better and better! Those 14’s are great as well. A step up from the B2 DAC .

Last edited by bzone; 29th March 2019 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
same here. they never delivered on that promise.... i really wanted it.
Old 1st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
Never, or not yet? I expect it's just a matter of time...
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
When it comes out, you will be able to rack a complete B-80 and make it portable as well, for all the laptop gig’s
Old 2nd April 2019
Quote:
When it comes out, you will be able to rack a complete B-80 and make it portable as well, for all the laptop gig’s
Have you ever lifted a loaded B80 Mothership?
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Have you ever lifted a loaded B80 Mothership?
Only a hundred times or so. They have these things called; r-o-a-d c-a-s-e-s, they come with wheels and handles. ( I have included a picture ). See there is a panel with an “F” painted on it. You know what that means? Go ahead, it’s alright, just spit it out, that’s right, don’t hold back, it means f-r-o-n-t. You pull that cover off, and that’s where you put the shiny green panels with the lights and the knobs of the Mothership. On the other side there is another one, but we usually don’t put anything on that, well you can guess why right? Because it’s the back! That’s right, you pull that off and, that’s where you plug in those black things called cables. This case has a small amount of spaces, 5 for the Mothership, 1 above and 1 below for vent panels and 1 more below for the power supply. So now if they come out with the BAD4M and the great selection of connection cards as well as the new 8 in and 8 out cards with the BDA4M you can have a complete small mobil set up of your choice with a laptop. Any other questions?
Attached Thumbnails
Burl new BDA4M Card for B80-e0819391-1f1f-4449-9217-19d67802b1cf.jpg  

Last edited by bzone; 3rd April 2019 at 04:49 AM..
Old 3rd April 2019
Quote:
Any other questions?
Just one: Why so combative?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search