The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is SSL Matrix 2 still a good choice in 2019
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Is SSL Matrix 2 still a good choice in 2019

Is SSL Matrix 2 still a good choice in 2019 ?

I guess theres many alternative available today even a mixerless workflow with audio interface and mix controller but the Matrix seems to do it all in an elegant sexy way with metering , digital patch-bay ,super analog summing , the legendary SSL busses plus control over several DAWs , did I miss anything ?

I may be using an Apogee Symphony II with 16 I/O , with hardware EQ and compressor with several FX units and outboard synths and drum machines , I guess you can call it EDM focused but definitely not limited to that . I also produce a lot of Dub style music (techno) with tons of delay and reverb on several busses in the DAW but I imagine it's even more fun on a real console .

I also will be using Logic , Cubase , Ableton and maybe Bitwig .

I lusted over the Matrix for a long time and now the time has come and just wanted to know some opinions from users and experience producer engineers etc...

One thing I am a little lost with is patching and cabling any thoughts on it ?

I never owned or used a console before and wanted to step-up to a more Pro setup , my only experience with a console is inside the DAW and I really enjoy it when doing my Dub (techno) mixes , would using the Matrix be good for this style ?
Will the Matrix 2 be a good fit for me , is there something I should be thinking about , am I missing anything ?
Old 8th January 2019
The Matrix was a good console, the Matrix 2 made it even better with improved shortcuts. With the Delta controller that allows you to mix in analog and save your mixes, Priceless

I would love to upgrade and have this be the heart of my studio. With the DAW control, the SSl summing, and the best features including the fastest way to insert outboard gear which includes allowing you to A/B effects on a track. There is plenty of fun which is not talked about much. The fun factor.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
The Matrix was a good console, the Matrix 2 made it even better with improved shortcuts. With the Delta controller that allows you to mix in analog and save your mixes, Priceless

I would love to upgrade and have this be the heart of my studio. With the DAW control, the SSl summing, and the best features including the fastest way to insert outboard gear which includes allowing you to A/B effects on a track. There is plenty of fun which is not talked about much. The fun factor.
Yea I'm still learning about Delta and what makes it so useful and the new black color looks great too .
Old 9th January 2019
GSF
Gear Addict
I don't find any issue with it being 10 year old technology, if that's what you're asking. There is still nothing quite like it on the market, it sounds good and is extremely flexible for what it is. It's really a matter of workflow: do you need a console with this size of footprint? Do you have plans to scale up in the future? Or down? How about furniture? How elaborate is your patching system?
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear
The matrix has a really cool set of interactions between the transports and track arming. Slick as it gets. I wish I had one.

I went for the next step down. MX4 cards and Nucleus
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear
Good old and new analog can’t be beaten.
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
Good old and new analog can’t be beaten.
Yea whats cool about the Matrix to me is even as it's software side future maybe unknown at it's core it's a wonderfull analog mixer that will never be outdated .
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post

Hi Is there a Matrix 1 vs Matrix 2 comparison list somewhere as far as you know?
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmatic-Studios View Post
Hi Is there a Matrix 1 vs Matrix 2 comparison list somewhere as far as you know?
It's a software update from what I can remember, great little mixer with an insert patch built it, I had it for 3-4 years before I moved into a bigger mixer..
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruslan Y View Post
It's a software update from what I can remember, great little mixer with an insert patch built it, I had it for 3-4 years before I moved into a bigger mixer..
Thanks. Is it possible to upgrade Matrix 1 to a Matrix 2 if it’s only a software upgrade?
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

They will become obsolete one day.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
They will become obsolete one day.
It's a Analog mixer at it's heart why would it become obsolete ?
I can see SSL supporting it for a very long time there pretty good at that type stuff .
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
It's a Analog mixer at it's heart why would it become obsolete ?
I can see SSL supporting it for a very long time there pretty good at that type stuff .
Just the digital controlled nature of it.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmatic-Studios View Post
Thanks. Is it possible to upgrade Matrix 1 to a Matrix 2 if it’s only a software upgrade?
Yes, I upgraded mine, pretty easy process, was free at the time
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is SSL Matrix 2 still a good choice in 2019 ?

I guess theres many alternative available today even a mixerless workflow with audio interface and mix controller but the Matrix seems to do it all in an elegant sexy way with metering , digital patch-bay ,super analog summing , the legendary SSL busses plus control over several DAWs , did I miss anything ?

I may be using an Apogee Symphony II with 16 I/O , with hardware EQ and compressor with several FX units and outboard synths and drum machines , I guess you can call it EDM focused but definitely not limited to that . I also produce a lot of Dub style music (techno) with tons of delay and reverb on several busses in the DAW but I imagine it's even more fun on a real console .

I also will be using Logic , Cubase , Ableton and maybe Bitwig .

I lusted over the Matrix for a long time and now the time has come and just wanted to know some opinions from users and experience producer engineers etc...

One thing I am a little lost with is patching and cabling any thoughts on it ?

I never owned or used a console before and wanted to step-up to a more Pro setup , my only experience with a console is inside the DAW and I really enjoy it when doing my Dub (techno) mixes , would using the Matrix be good for this style ?
Will the Matrix 2 be a good fit for me , is there something I should be thinking about , am I missing anything ?
I’m in the same boat here
Electronic Music producer, mixer and mastering engineer. Got 2 hardware reverb units, 2 compressors (also SSL) and one stereo Pultec EQ. Currently using the UAD Apollo 16 as interface. Sold the Nucleus because it didn’t add much to my setup except for the faders. Looking at the Matrix for quite some time now but not sure if it will really add something to my studio...(besides the fun and wow factor)
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 6th May 2019
Here for the gear
I'm an EDM producer, and I picked up a Matrix 2 in January 2019 after researching and wondering about a 10 year old tech, but the console is amazing and crazy flexible, and I really can't find anything else out there like it...still. For EDM guys - being able to configure to bring in 32-48 channels for a mixdown is on the verge of not having to stem (although I've seen mixes come in with 50-60 channels on the extreme, but you combine all of the one shot FX stuff in a stereo track and do the submix in the DAW; everything else you want on individual channels (kick, bass layers, drums/perc, synths) -- the Matrix excels best when it's summing a lot of tracks vis a vis SuperAnalogue. The sheer headroom of the console over ITB is crazy! Being able to routing 8x2 stereo FX OR 16x1 mono outboard compressors, dynamics, reverb, I even use guitar pedals...and route them like plugins.....more power. It's a beast. Still learning it, but it sounds gorgeous. Top notch SSL console.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

I have had mine for years. Matrix 1. You just need a software update to make it a 2 and some black paint. Kidding about the paint.

I have a question. Do you guys use the direct outs? I ve always gone into my AD converters direct from external preamps and use the dual inputs for 32 returns all passing through a patchbay. . Ive never really had any latencý issues so it is just interesting to know if anyone else works that way.
What about you guys?

Last edited by NoEgo; 9th May 2019 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 10th May 2019
GSF
Gear Addict
Yes, I used the direct outs into the converters for years for no latency tracking. Also great for stem mixing.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I've been using the Matrix 1 in a few of my smaller rooms for years. It's a great little desk! I think it sounds like what I expect ITB SHOULD sound like. It doesn't add the ballsy oldschool SSL vibe, but it's a superanalogue desk so it's very conservative in it's nature. Great desk! I recently heard some mixes I did on it and they were certainly "snappy" sounding.

I strongly suggest anyone who uses one do the software upgrade and utilize the SSL Delta plugin which brings the fader automation into your session via a plugin... BRILLIANT!
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSulu View Post
I'm an EDM producer, and I picked up a Matrix 2 in January 2019 after researching and wondering about a 10 year old tech, but the console is amazing and crazy flexible, and I really can't find anything else out there like it...still. For EDM guys - being able to configure to bring in 32-48 channels for a mixdown is on the verge of not having to stem (although I've seen mixes come in with 50-60 channels on the extreme, but you combine all of the one shot FX stuff in a stereo track and do the submix in the DAW; everything else you want on individual channels (kick, bass layers, drums/perc, synths) -- the Matrix excels best when it's summing a lot of tracks vis a vis SuperAnalogue. The sheer headroom of the console over ITB is crazy! Being able to routing 8x2 stereo FX OR 16x1 mono outboard compressors, dynamics, reverb, I even use guitar pedals...and route them like plugins.....more power. It's a beast. Still learning it, but it sounds gorgeous. Top notch SSL console.
This is a very exciting read , i'm also producing EDM .
What else do you like about this console ?
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Head

There’s a matrix 2 listed for sale on eBay right now
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just bought one... My soundcard is in the mail so I'm only using the control surface part for now.

And I'm super impressed so far. I am able to control my Sigma and my Reaper session effortlessly.

I still haven't figured out how i'm gonna connect the Sigma to it. I will probably use the Matrix for Mono and the Sigma for stereo.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
This is a very exciting read , i'm also producing EDM .
What else do you like about this console ?
The Ableton/Logic DAW integrations is a surprisingly good integration; flipping focus from DAW control to analog mixdown is pretty awesome. Seriously- the Matrix 2 is the definitive hybrid mixer..doesn’t get much love from SSL anymore but man it’s rock solid. Overhead in super analog is substantially higher than ITB.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
Yes, I used the direct outs into the converters for years for no latency tracking. Also great for stem mixing.
Ditto me as well - direct outs to Dangerous AD+ clocked by a Grimm CC2 @ 24/96. Really get some punchy EDM masters.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
I just bought one... My soundcard is in the mail so I'm only using the control surface part for now.

And I'm super impressed so far. I am able to control my Sigma and my Reaper session effortlessly.

I still haven't figured out how i'm gonna connect the Sigma to it. I will probably use the Matrix for Mono and the Sigma for stereo.
When you say control your Sigma effortlessly do you mean via the Delta Control plug-in or can you directly control the Sigma's channels and 2 busses using faders on the Matrix?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
When you say control your Sigma effortlessly do you mean via the Delta Control plug-in or can you directly control the Sigma's channels and 2 busses using faders on the Matrix?
Oh I meant the faders... The Delta thing is a bit trickier since you can only control the Matrix or the Sigma thru it. Im working on a workaround

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search