The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 251 clone? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th March 2019
Another vote for the Upton 251. A pair of them landed at my studio a year or so ago and I've been in love ever since. I've had several opportunities to use a few different proper vintage 251s over the years, and these Uptons are the first clones that really wowed me.
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear

I had all three together in my studio , Upton, Telefunken and Bock, the Upton I had received had a loose capsule in it so I had to send it back , I was able to demo a few songs. what I found was
the Bock sounded very nice and took eq better than the Telefunken and the Upton . This was the third Telefunken I had demoed and it was good , one out of the three 251 mics I used was magic the other two just good . the Bock did not have the reediness in the mids that you hear in the Telefunken but was the most versatile of the three mics. Since the Upton was not up to par it would not be fair to comment except to say that the other two sounded better to me in my studio on my source. When people compare all of these clones I have had them all. I searched for a mic for my daughter for 3 years before I found the right one. She currently uses a new Telefunken c12. Extremely powerful Alto voice .

The difference between the clones and the AKG c12,s and Tele mics and all the others becomes extremely noticeable when you push the mics with very dynamic female singers . My daughter's voice is extremely complex and it takes a very special mic to handle the task. I laugh when I see people trying to compare a modded $300 mic talking in to the mic .
when you push the Tele or the c12 is when the magic either happens or the mic falls apart.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

My Soundelux has been shining for quite a few years. Amazing microphone and a perfectly equal high end mic to my C800-G. They are both incredible.
Also, don't forget that you need a great chain, preamp and converters as without it you won't get the best out of your mic.
Old 26th March 2019
I have 2 Bocks and they are fantastic. Incredible, smooth top end and full of body.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search