7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahomuth View Post
If you had to pick just one.
FLEA
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Just finished recording an album with Warm Audio’s clone and it sounds great. I would not pass a blind test. Also, I am told Stem has done a great job.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
FLEA
+1
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'd trust Bock too! Chris
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Check out Dave Pearlman’s tm-1.
Old 8th January 2019
Horch RM2J MKii BAR NONE.
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Addict

Pearlman TM1 is a nice mic, not sure how it compares side by side to a real 47 as I've never done head to head with them. That said I've done a session where we had a wunder CM7 that actually beat out a vintage Neumann for the particular application we were tracking (trumpet, the vintage 47 wasn't handling the SPL so well).
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet View Post
Just finished recording an album with Warm Audio’s clone and it sounds great. I would not pass a blind test. Also, I am told Stem has done a great job.
Cheapest, yes. Best, no.

And to be clear, I'm guessing the OP is using the word, "clone" loosely, as there are almost no real "clones" per se available due to the rarity and expense of good VF14 tubes.

And there's a difference between a very good mic and one trying to BE a U47.
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Guru

I had a Wunder CM7 years ago that was pretty good next to vintage 47's.a slight bit less bloom in the low mids than vintage but plenty of good recordings were made with it and in the mix nobody ever gave a sh*t.
had the Grosser clone later.that sounded surprisingly great with a real VF14 in it.
Out of curiosity[and partial boredom] I just grabbed a current demo Wunder CM7 Suprema that sounds really good too next to my Custom Bock 47.[CM7=smoother more natural mids,silkier yet slightly extended highs].
kinda Apples and Oranges actually.like em both.
The flea I had here was the darkest.
After hearing so many 47 copies over the years I never expect them to "nail" a vintage 47[and which one?m7,k47,large transformer..etc. they all sound different anyways] but I really don't care anymore.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Cheapest, yes. Best, no.

And to be clear, I'm guessing the OP is using the word, "clone" loosely, as there are almost no real "clones" per se available due to the rarity and expense of good VF14 tubes.

And there's a difference between a very good mic and one trying to BE a U47.
Well, my point is that I am unable to pass a blindtest comparing the two microphones. The difference in price may be 20 % quality and 80 % status...
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, my point is that I am unable to pass a blindtest comparing the two microphones. The difference in price may be 20 % quality and 80 % status...
One person's small difference is another's deal breaker.

You're telling me you did a direct comparison between the Warm and an original U47 and could not tell the difference? It would be a rare pair of originals that you couldn't tell apart. Neumann quality control allows for + or - 2 dB. That means that there can be as much as 4 dB difference at any given frequency! Even 1dB should be relatively easily discernible to the discerning ear. In Roundbadge's post above, he portrays differences between all the relatively expensive options. They all worked, but they were all different.

The OP was "Best U47 clone?" which implies what comes closest to the original. There are many U47 "clones" (using the word loosely) that are very nice mics, but if you want something that does exactly what the original does, it's a different matter. Not that a non original mightn't be preferred by a given person in a given context. Also, there are serious attempts and budget attempts. The latter may be great value, but I've rarely heard a low budget product that wasn't easily bested by something with a bigger budget. There are scientific reasons why quality usually costs. And there are always plenty of folks denying that the higher priced item is any better. It can almost always be chaulked off to wishful thinking, bad monitoring, and/or lack of experience.

In the end though, you use what you can afford to make music. Glad you got your album done and were happy with the tools you used. I'm sure it is pride worthy.

Last edited by Piedpiper; 9th January 2019 at 11:28 PM..
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
One person's small difference, is another's deal breaker.

You're telling me you did a direct comparison between the Warm and an original U47 and could not tell the difference? It would be a rare pair of originals that you couldn't tell apart. Neumann quality control allows for + or - 2 dB. That means that there can be as much as 4 dB difference at any given frequency! Even 1dB should be relatively easily discernible to the discerning ear. In Roundbadge's post above, he portrays differences between all the relatively expensive options. They all worked, but they were all different.

The OP was "Best U47 clone?" which implies what comes closest to the original. There are many U47 "clones" (using the word loosely) that are very nice mics, but if you want something that does exactly what the original does, it's a different matter. Not that a non original might be preferred by a given person in a given context. Also, there are serious attempts and budget attempts. The latter may be great value, but I've rarely heard a low budget product that wasn't easily bested by something with a bigger budget. There are scientific reasons why quality usually costs. And there are always plenty of folks denying that the higher priced item is any better. It can almost always be chaulked off to wishful thinking, bad monitoring, and/or lack of experience.

In the end though, you use what you can afford to make music. Glad you got your album done and were happy with the tools you used. I'm sure it is pride worthy.
This is a general discussion which will derail this thread somewhat, with many valid arguments on both sides, including the cost-benefits of mass production and cheap labour. And in my experience, status and vanity factor into it as well. I for one could not pass a blind test and sold my U47 as a result of it. Finally, the average listener does not pay attention to infinitesmally small details at this level anyway. That’s all an occupational damage on part of producers
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a general discussion which will derail this thread somewhat, with many valid arguments on both sides, including the cost-benefits of mass production and cheap labour. And in my experience, status and vanity factor into it as well. I for one could not pass a blind test and sold my U47 as a result of it. Finally, the average listener does not pay attention to infinitesmally small details at this level anyway. That’s all an occupational damage on part of producers
Not sure it's a derail in that it is germane to the OP.

Personally, I do not do what I do the way I do it because the average listener will or will not notice or care. Having said that, I believe that virtually everyone is effected by subtleties whether consciously or not. Just because most people don't focus in on what differentiates a pre war Martin D28 from a $300 Chinese knock off or even a 2018 Martin D28, doesn't mean there is no point in playing good guitars or that those vintage guitars are not worth the money. Value is personal.

Regardless, it's pretty cool that you were satisfied enough with the Warm to sell your original. Each to their own.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

A Bock 67 sounds better on my voice, than the Neumann U67 RI-go figure...
Chris
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
A Bock 67 sounds better on my voice, than the Neumann U67 RI-go figure...
Chris
Where’d you try the Bock 67?
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

NAMM. Maybe it was a good luck charm. I won a Soundelux U195 that day! Big Bock fan here, love the iFET too. Chris
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

What mic works best in a given situation is unrelated to what mic is a more accurate reproduction of a vintage mic. The OP may want to clarify for themselves what their actual goal is. In one on line comparison, I preferred Andreas Grosser's glass tube replacement for a VF14 to the original, in certain ways. Fun with flavors...
Old 13th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
What mic works best in a given situation is unrelated to what mic is a more accurate reproduction of a vintage mic. The OP may want to clarify for themselves what their actual goal is. In one on line comparison, I preferred Andreas Grosser's glass tube replacement for a VF14 to the original, in certain ways. Fun with flavors...
I had the grosser 47 with his glass tube vf14 replacement,the solid state replacement and original vf14 metal can.
The low end drastically improved w the vf14 tube.
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I had the grosser 47 with his glass tube vf14 replacement,the solid state replacement and original vf14 metal can.
The low end drastically improved w the vf14 tube.
Good to know. That didn't show up in the particular vocal clips I heard, which didn't feature low end per se. Point I was making is that there are lots of flavors out there that might be preferable in a given context without sounding like an original.
Old 14th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Good to know. That didn't show up in the particular vocal clips I heard, which didn't feature low end per se. Point I was making is that there are lots of flavors out there that might be preferable in a given context without sounding like an original.
Totally agree
I really liked the wunder and grosser for different things and might buy another wunder in addition to the Bock 47 already here
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

I should also clarify, that it wasn't that I preferred the glass tube per se, just that I liked a certain quality as an option. From what I remember, it had a upper mid clarity that was appealing, without being harsh above that. Took it a step away from the emphasis on warmth. Definitely different, but nice in its own way.
Old 15th January 2019
AB3
Lives for gear

Not even close to the FLEA 47 - I compared them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrock80 View Post
Check out Dave Pearlman’s tm-1.
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

I loaned my Peluso 2247LE and my Pearlman TM1 to a friend who was recording an album with Eddy Kramer. Kramer had also brought along his own vintage 47 for the shootout. He ended up preferring my TM1 and they used it for the whole album.

Mind you, that just means they liked it for THAT singer on that particular project. But I’ve rarely been disappointed with vocals on the Pearlman mic.
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Addict

I still like my Bock 47 with the power supply mod he did. Nothing like a real 47 in good shape.
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I had a Wunder CM7 years ago that was pretty good next to vintage 47's.a slight bit less bloom in the low mids than vintage but plenty of good recordings were made with it and in the mix nobody ever gave a sh*t.
had the Grosser clone later.that sounded surprisingly great with a real VF14 in it.
Out of curiosity[and partial boredom] I just grabbed a current demo Wunder CM7 Suprema that sounds really good too next to my Custom Bock 47.[CM7=smoother more natural mids,silkier yet slightly extended highs].
kinda Apples and Oranges actually.like em both.
The flea I had here was the darkest.
After hearing so many 47 copies over the years I never expect them to "nail" a vintage 47[and which one?m7,k47,large transformer..etc. they all sound different anyways] but I really don't care anymore.
This has been my experience with the Wunder CM7S and a vintage 47 as well. Closer in sound than you’d think! It’s tough to beat that real 47 sound though.

I tried putting a real Neumann K47/49 on my Wunder CM7S....no bueno. It’s too bright for that mic amp system. I suspect that Wunder’s brand of K47 would be kinder.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I tried putting a real Neumann K47/49 on my Wunder CM7S....no bueno. It’s too bright for that mic amp system. I suspect that Wunder’s brand of K47 would be kinder.
That's interesting.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's interesting.
Indeed....the new K47/49s sound great on the vintage 47 so I was able to narrow it to the Wunder micamp.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

The Pearlman TM1 is U47 "inspired". Pearlman's TM-47 is closer to a "clone". I have the TM47 and I once shot it out against a vintage U47 and everyone in the room thought the Pearlman sounded better. But that just means on that song, on that voice, in that room the Pearlman won the day against that particular U47 (actually I think it was a U48).

...Doesn't mean its the closest to the original. But it is an excellent mic. I've heard (not owned) the Bock and the Tele USA - they all have that "47 sound."
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

There is only one King:

FLEA

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search