Voxorama
Had one
A real vf14 made the low end bloom
Old 5th February 2019
Here for the gear

Flea 47 ,,, impresionante
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

It could be worthwhile to think about getting it arranged so that a real Neumann k47 can go in the head amp clone of your choice.

There are some good caps out there that aren’t legit k47, but there is a certain frequency balance and image (for lack of a better term) that a true k47 does bring to the table. If you really want a clone, and a major part is still being made...
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Addict

I have a FLEA and it's great. I meant to take it down the street and compare it with the real 47 at my friend's studio, but I'm too busy recording actual music with it and I'm not missing anything I need to get the results I want so that seems like a waste of time. I wouldn't turn down a vintage 47 if someone gave it to me as a gift, but I have stopped thinking about it totally since acquiring the FLEA.
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

I have a Frankenstein clone that is built out of NOS parts: A Neumann K47, the correct transformer, the correct tube, and etc. It sounds great! The Flea mics are so close it is scary.
Old 26th March 2019
Just got delivery of a Dave Pearlman TM-47 this morning and have been conducting comparison tests with my other mics and basically putting it to the test all day. What can I say, but Wow. If I only had one word to describe this mic, I would say that it is the most supremely, deliciously, absolutely perfectly balanced mic I've ever heard. There's nothing else like it in my mic locker. Smoother and richer on vocals than my U87ai — which I love, haters. Love! Guitars and vocals all sound clean, beautiful, vivid and natural. On vocals, I may find myself adding just a tiny bit of EQ on the upper end. That will depend on what the mixes sound like. Haven't had a chance to see how the dp will sit in the mix. But I mean, wow, what a microphone! Without a U47 or a clone to compare it to, it's hard to say whether I would like another mic better than the Pearlman. Regardless, the mighty TM-47 is my new go-to vocal mic.
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
Just got delivery of a Dave Pearlman TM-47 this morning.
Glad you like the TM47
I had a TM1 at my last studio and loved it.. I also hat the baby TM1s and they were also great mics.
Now I am in need of another TM1 for my new studio.
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear
I have bees neez u47 T1 with m7 capsule. Was not much a fan of the K7 capsule but the M7 sounds wonderful and very different. Would love to compare to Wunder, Bock and Flea. I did compare to real 47 I had on loan but alas not as a shoot out.
Old 4 weeks ago
I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'd love to weigh in on the discussion.
I'm fortunate to live in the Los Angeles area and went to Vintage King to try out all the U47 'clones' myself. Truth is, you really can't pick a mic until you've used it and heard it yourself on your voice. I'm a voice over guy with a deep resonant baritone/bass voice and I was genuinely shocked when after testing the Telefunken, Bock, Peluso, Pearlman, Neumann M 149, and Wunder . . . I stepped up to the FLEA 47 and my heart stopped! The depth, character, presence, articulation, and completely un-muddied sound coming out of the speakers on the Pro Tools replay was truly impressive. In fact, there were several customers in the store that gathered around to listen to the differences and all agreed - FLEA BE THEE ONE. I didn't buy. I went home, did more research, and returned the following day to recheck the Telefunken and FLEA. The difference - on my voice - was compelling and I left with the FLEA. I've used it in my studio for a month now and I have to say my booking rate has almost doubled. The mics I used before were Neumann TLM 49 and Sennheiser 416.
The words I write simply can not convey the sound I and my clients hear with this microphone. I've never had the opportunity to use an original U 47 but honestly, I don't know how the sound could be differentiatingly 'better' than what this FLEA 47 produces. The other mics I tested are all great microphones. I'm just saying, at least in my studio on my voice, this FLEA 47 is an amazing instrument I'm loving playing that has already paid for itself.
Thanks for letting me join the discussion. All of you have credible and respected views I appreciate reading.

Red Door Voiceover
Malibu, CA

Last edited by VOintheBU; 4 weeks ago at 08:32 AM.. Reason: remove my name
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
So, has everyone finished listing the clone they bought.
Old 4 weeks ago
Of course not. More to come . . .
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duplex One View Post
Voxorama
Yeah I agree, I now have one now to go with my Horch's and my NU47 which I'm waiting to get back from Martin Kantola.
That covers all my 47 bases for now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... If I only had one word to describe this mic, I would say that it is the most supremely, deliciously, absolutely perfectly balanced mic I've ever heard...
Shurely shome mishtake.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOintheBU View Post
Of course not. More to come . . .
Clips?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
RMS47 (Haufe BV8 Transformer + VF14ER Tube + you can ask for any M7 or K49, original or clone capsule)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Shurely shome mishtake.
Well, I'm running my TM-47 through a DW Fearn VT-1 and getting a little opto-compression help from a Manley ELOP(+).

Nope. No mishtake. It's beautiful. There are plenty of other great options out there to throw your money at. But I'm cool with my main vocal chain. I never have to touch it or change anything and it always sounds the same: F'ing-A great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I'm running my TM-47 through a DW Fearn VT-1 and getting a little opto-compression help from a Manley ELOP(+).

Nope. No mishtake. It's beautiful. There are plenty of other great options out there to throw your money at. But I'm cool with my main vocal chain. I never have to touch it or change anything and it always sounds the same: F'ing-A great.

I wasn't doubting the sound, I was referring to where you said ' If I only had one word to describe this mic...'
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I wasn't doubting the sound, I was referring to where you said ' If I only had one word to describe this mic...'
LOL. That wuz a joke.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mals View Post
RMS47 (Haufe BV8 Transformer + VF14ER Tube + you can ask for any M7 or K49, original or clone capsule)
I hope you are not fooling your self or those who read this:

"VF14ER" is not a tube but a transistor circuit hidden under a cover that looks like a tube.

"Haufe BV8" is not the original BV8 used in Neumann U47. Totally different transformer core material, winding scheme, copper, and so on.

M7 or K49 "clone" capsule? Have you ever heard one of these? You think the reason why the Neumann original costs twice or more the price of the "clone" is just marketing or because peopel who save up are stupid"?

As Sting said so well (or was it Knopfler?): "Money for nothin' and the chicks for free". You get what you pay for (actually you get less, considering the sad resale value of any of these "clones").
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey Sting loves Oktava 219's too!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
=Helmuth;14043641You get what you pay for (actually you get less, considering the sad resale value of any of these "clones").
Mmmh.

I bought my Wunder CM7 new for £3K

I'm not selling it (ever) but I've seen them sold for around £4K to £4.5K second hand.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
You get what you pay for (actually you get less, considering the sad resale value of any of these "clones").

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Mmmh.

I bought my Wunder CM7 new for £3K

I'm not selling it (ever) but I've seen them sold for around £4K to £4.5K second hand.
^Yup.
Got my Flea 47 for $3700 USD and no plans to sell it ever. Around once a year a used one pops up on Reverb/eBay for pretty much the same as what I paid.

If I absolutely HAD to have a vintage one I could afford it but it seems foolish to go that route in 2019, especially with the tube situation being what it is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How crazy would it be to have a clone mic with a VF14 in it and still not a real Neumann capsule.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi, I´m using a Mic&Mod kit with a M7 capsule from CathedralPipes Microphones.

It's a powerful mic for voice and guitars.

Voice-Over with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPP2SJGMxMY

Mic&mod:

https://www.micandmod.com

Cathedralpipes:

http://www.cathedralpipes.com
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for Jesus

I have a Pearlman TM1 in the mail right now. ! This will be my second one, I Love that mic
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Golden Age Premiere 47? I own one, but haven’t used it enough to really form an opinion.
Old 2 weeks ago
If I had high dollar money for top tier microphone, in the vein of a U47. Id buy a Microtech Gefell CMV563/M7S right now.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Rhetorical Question: Why set all three mics up at the same time if your not going to play the same phrase from each mic.
Questionable acoustics don't help either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
If I had high dollar money for top tier microphone, in the vein of a U47. Id buy a Microtech Gefell CMV563/M7S right now.
Lovely mic but isn't that a different fish from a 47? Or are you saying, if you wanted something in the direction of, but not exactly like a 47? What do you particularly like about it that you would choose over something comparable?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search