The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Almost ZERO talk about Hedd Type 30 or 20
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Nut

Almost ZERO talk about Hedd Type 30 or 20

Hi and Happy New Year to all!

I am a little surprised about the lack of discussions regarding Hedd Audio studio monitors while there's plenty of chats about other brands like Adam, K&H/Neumann, or even Focal...
It almost feels like Adam's past is casting a dark shadow over Klaus Heinz, an otherwise undoubtedly committed speaker designer.
Any further comments..?
Thank you in advance
Old 2nd January 2019
Here for the gear

As my Adam S3A’s are in need of a full service. I have been wondering about those Hedd 30’s quite a bit.
Would love a user to chime in on their experience with them.
Old 2nd January 2019
I have Hedd Type 07’s (with a sub) and I feel totally satisfied with the detailed precision and tonality of the monitors.

They tell you what you need to know with honesty, as well as an inspiring and engaging musicality

(Used in a close nearfield setup)

Would love to Check out the 20’s

(They are also a great value for the money due to Hedd’s aggressive carving back into the Adam market Heinz developed with his previous designs)

Last edited by Hardtoe; 3rd January 2019 at 10:27 PM..
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
I have Hedd Type 07’s (with a sub) and I feel totally satisfied with the detailed precision and tonality of the monitors.

They tell you what you need to know with honesty, as well as an inspiring and engaging musicality
I also have 07's, but no sub. I agree with Hardtoe..
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve listened to Hedd Type 07 on different occasions (and locations) and although it didn’t impress me much, I think it’s a decent monitor for the money. However, the Hedd Type 20 and 30 are, to my ears, leaps and bounds better than the Type 07. The difference is not just in frequency range, it’s the to overall tonality (voicing) that is more natural and the stereo image and depth is improved a lot too. Between the 20 and 30, the difference was mostly in SPL capabilities and a fraction more authority in the lows. The difference between the 07 and 20 is much bigger (but again, to my ears).

However, if you need them in a nearfiled position, I wouldn’t opt for the 20 or 30, as I noticed it takes a bit more distance to let the different drivers to “become one”. With the 20 at a nearfield position, I could hear the woofer, mid woofer and tweeter separately (to some degree).
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
I’ve listened to Hedd Type 07 on different occasions (and locations) and although it didn’t impress me much, I think it’s a decent monitor for the money. However, the Hedd Type 20 and 30 are, to my ears, leaps and bounds better than the Type 07. The difference is not just in frequency range, it’s the to overall tonality (voicing) that is more natural and the stereo image and depth is improved a lot too. Between the 20 and 30, the difference was mostly in SPL capabilities and a fraction more authority in the lows. The difference between the 07 and 20 is much bigger (but again, to my ears).

However, if you need them in a nearfiled position, I wouldn’t opt for the 20 or 30, as I noticed it takes a bit more distance to let the different drivers to “become one”. With the 20 at a nearfield position, I could hear the woofer, mid woofer and tweeter separately (to some degree).
Thanks a lot for your comments.
In this room, hypothetically, with Type 20s, the distance between tweeters/mid drivers (positioned on the inside) would be around 1.4 meters or more precisely 58 inches, or around 62 inches with type 30s..

Last edited by mantovibe; 6th January 2019 at 03:06 AM..
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantovibe View Post
Thank a lot for your comments.
In this room, hypothetically, with Type 20s, the distance between tweeters/mid drivers (positioned on the inside) would be around 1.4 meters or more precisely 58 inches, or around 62 inches with type 30s..
I auditioned the Type 20 at a variety of distances between 1 meter and 3 meter (always in an equal triangle setup) and to me the sweetspot was around 2 meter, as this provided a nice balance of stereo image and depth, frequence response (tonality) and detail. At 3 meters I felt it became a bit less detailed, which makes sense I guess as the room acoustics become more of a factor (is it not?). It’s from memory so I might be mistaken, but I think a distance of 1.5 meter was enough to make the individual drivers of the Type 20 to sound as one.

Having said all this, if budget allows it, I personally would favour the Genelec 8351 or 8341 over the Hedd monitors, in my experience they provide even more insight (details), are more natural/neutral, have a bigger sweetspot and an incredible stereo image with a razor sharp phantom centre. I auditioned them a few months ago and I was very impressed. Even the tiny 8331 was killing it, couldn’t believe my ears. To my ears the 8331 is better than the Type 20, but due to it’s size it can’t reach those low frequencies the Type 20 can. But with the 8341/8351 this (the lows) is not an issue anymore
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Maniac

I didn't have the opportunity to demo HEDD, but if you are in HongKong, you should give local HEDD dealer a call. I personally know one of them, he is very knowledgeable and kind hearted, you wouldn't be disappointed.

BTW the linearizer on HEDD does work, I saw the REW sweep results, the transient response of HEDD should be very good.
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear
I have just bought the Type 20s. Couldn’t believe how great they sound. Always hated Adams.
Old 3rd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
I just want to add in light of this comment, that the Adam Sub 8 I am using with my Head 07's, make a huge difference to how the soundstage is presented and the tonality of the speakers - It elevates them to a small full range system with a great feeling of depth and extension (as opposed to a more regular 2 way feel)

I also use Sonarworks which is needed to get really good integration with the sub in my room (07's full range, sub adding only at 50hz and down).

When I turn on the sub everything gets more depth and naturalness in the presentation - though the 07's can also supply a fair amount of bottom on their own (just lacking the lowest octave), I much prefer the tone with the sub on - makes the system feel larger and more effortless.

(I monitor very close at about 1m out)

I'm sure the Type 20's are another level of effortlessness....would be great to hear them in person
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatom View Post
I have just bought the Type 20s. Couldn’t believe how great they sound. Always hated Adams.
Also, do they go loud enough to be exciting during electric guitar tracking?
I like to track big clean electric guitar so I turn the monitors up quite a bit..
That's why Im still considering the Type 30s although I know they are too big for my room. It will probably be Type 20s for loud + Amphion ONE15s for mixing.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantovibe View Post
Also, do they go loud enough to be exciting during electric guitar tracking?
I like to track big clean electric guitar so I turn the monitors up quite a bit..
That's why Im still considering the Type 30s although I know they are too big for my room. It will probably be Type 20s for loud + Amphion ONE15s for mixing.
If you want excitement then Genelecs are IT, wonderful speakers for tracking, not "in your face" type of sound, but velvety and smooth.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

They are great speakers. I preferred the upper mids on the Neumanns, and Overal Mids on the Amphions. But the Bass was undeniable.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
If you want excitement then Genelecs are IT, wonderful speakers for tracking, not "in your face" type of sound, but velvety and smooth.
I don't want any extra latency unless I'm mixing. There's enough of it between converters (Lavry Blue A/D/A is about 3 ms) and the Mac/ Logic. I bought the Presonus Quantum for the low latency and only use Adat ins/outs with RME digital format converters, but there is still Logic..
I would love to use 8351s but that's another chunk of latency I don't want. I am spoiled when it comes to tracking myself on guitars. I use a parallel analog mixer just for zero latency. I love it. I feel connected to the instrument and that matters to me.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

I think I'd probably love the Genelec 8351, but the price of one is almost as much as a pair of HEDD Type 20. I can't compare with the Genelec, but the Type 20 has 300 watts per driver. I wouldn't think the 8351 with 150 watts for the low end could have the transient response of the Type 20.

But, yeah, I'm with the OP. I can't quite understand how the Type 20, especially, isn't getting more notoriety. Its compact size (relatively) for a 3-way monitor is perfect for small-ish studios. I'm at about 1 meter distance, and they sound superb from normal down to very low listening levels. And although I don't monitor at loud volumes, they seem able to scale up with plenty of headroom, without any compression or distortion. And I can't agree that there's too much separation between the drivers. I mean, they're only physically about 1 to 3 inches from each other. Put your eardrum level between the 3 drivers, and at a little over 1 meter, I don't detect any audible separation. Pin point accuracy in the stereo field, and clear as a bell without a hint of distortion.

I previously had Event Opals (I still do, but they're in storage now), and loved 'em. But the Type 20 does everything they do, but with more clarity and detail throughout the frequency range. I thought I could easily hear and detect differences between produced releases with the Opals... but with the Type 20 the differences, detail, and clarity are magnified to a much greater degree, and without any harshness, while being highly entertaining and great to listen to.

I love these things. I always wanted to get to a 3-way monitor eventually, so I could have an option of doing some pseudo-mastering on the side. I thought I'd like the ATC SCM25, but was afraid of a lack of low end, and the price was a little out of my range. Then I accidently ran across the Type 20s. And once I started reading up on 'em… they sounded like a perfect fit for me. So glad I took the plunge and splurged on these. Well worth it in my opinion, and, yes, I'd think they should be more widely known than they seem to be.

To the OP... it'd be great to just change the thread title to something like "Talk about the HEDD Type 20 or 30" and make this the official thread in High End... since there should be one, and there isn't... until now!
Old 21st January 2019
Here for the gear

One of my event opals was ruined. Event ceases to exist. These would type 20 be a good replacement? I have the invoice in my inbox ready to be payed and shipped.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

I’ve been cranking and caressing a pair of Type 20s for a few days. About 1.4 meters equi triangle. They truly are remarkable little beasts, and the Lineariser makes them very 3D. I’d probably be in a state of mini-bliss with a couple of perfectly integrated subs for that top to bottom super relaxed presentation.
While they’re really plenty loud, I still wonder if I should get the Type 30s for an even bigger sound front (certainly NOT for more SPL)
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Just got my 20s in the mail today. Been mixing on them for past 2 hour. I'am very very happy. I see it as a huge step up from my Event opals. Very detailed, clear, and amazing imaging. Opals were good but I feel like the highs and lows kinda over powered the mid. For being a ribbon tweeter these are not harsh at all. The highs are less harsh than my Opal(beryllium tweeter model).
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymia View Post
Just got my 20s in the mail today. Been mixing on them for past 2 hour. I'am very very happy. I see it as a huge step up from my Event opals. Very detailed, clear, and amazing imaging. Opals were good but I feel like the highs and lows kinda over powered the mid. For being a ribbon tweeter these are not harsh at all. The highs are less harsh than my Opal(beryllium tweeter model).
You owe me a beer!

Good decision, have fun!
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatom View Post
I loved my Adams S3X-H but since getting the Type 20's, I've not regretted it one bit. I demoed them side by side and it took no time at all to decide the HEDD's had to stay
Old 14th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman View Post
I loved my Adams S3X-H but since getting the Type 20's, I've not regretted it one bit. I demoed them side by side and it took no time at all to decide the HEDD's had to stay
I have Adam S3X-V which I like very much in my Studio.

But Im interested in the HEDD monitors sound.
I assume that HEDD and Adam sound similar in the trebles?
Is there something that you would describe as a distingiush "Hedd Monitor" Sound (compared to the Adams)?
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman View Post
I currently have the S3X-V which are on sale now. They are great but I recently demoed the new Adam S3H in my studio for 2 weeks and I was absolutely blown away. Will be demoing the HEDD Type 20 soon and interested to hear how they compare. The HEDD Type 30 would probably be a better comparison but they are too large for my space.
Old 14th February 2019
Hi Oracle,

Its interesting that you rate the S3H so much higher than the SX3-V.

I had the S3V here for some days and compared them side by side with my SX.

The S3V seemed to have a wider sweet spot and gave a more realistic spatial impression (probably because of the new 4" midrange dome driver"). They sounded more "correct" but left me somewhat "flat" in the midrange.

The SX3 might sound less accurate, but the midrange sound more "lively" and more "fun to listen" to me.
Specially when I listen to vocal tracks.
So I kept my SX3 and gave the S3V back...ofc I was also considering the additional cost/ value ratio

But now Im very interested in some Adam vs HEDD Type 20 opinions.
The HEDD 20 seems to fit perfect in my monitoring environment.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
Hi Oracle,

Its interesting that you rate the S3H so much higher than the SX3-V.

I had the S3V here for some days and compared them side by side with my SX.

The S3V seemed to have a wider sweet spot and gave a more realistic spatial impression (probably because of the new 4" midrange dome driver"). They sounded more "correct" but left me somewhat "flat" in the midrange.

The SX3 might sound less accurate, but the midrange sound more "lively" and more "fun to listen" to me.
Specially when I listen to vocal tracks.
So I kept my SX3 and gave the S3V back...ofc I was also considering the additional cost/ value ratio

But now Im very interested in some Adam vs HEDD Type 20 opinions.
The HEDD 20 seems to fit perfect in my monitoring environment.
Did you go through the different factory presets on the S3-V? Pure is factory default and is flat. UNR is the typical SX sound and Classic is the sound of the S3A.
Old 16th February 2019
yes I went through the factory presets.
I just didnt make my own ones...cause I didnt want to overwrite my friends presets.
But I did adjust my SX3 a lil and made some Fabfilter EQ Presets and some Presets in my RME software.

In that sense the comparison was revealing and helped me to readjust my SX3 (a little).

I enjoyed listening to my SX beside the S and it didnt make me wanna sell my monitors,
it didnt trigger that "must have nerve" in me :D
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
I have Adam S3X-V which I like very much in my Studio.

But Im interested in the HEDD monitors sound.
I assume that HEDD and Adam sound similar in the trebles?
Is there something that you would describe as a distingiush "Hedd Monitor" Sound (compared to the Adams)?
Sorry for the late reply......

They sound very different in the high end. Less fatiguing to my ears and more open. I don;t find them Adam(ish) at all.

I had my S3X-H's for years and loved them but after demoing the Type 20's it was an easier than expected decision to switch. My monitor setup is as follows. Tye 20's, Type 05's both used with the Lineariser, NS10m Studio's and an Anantone Cube.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
I currently have the S3X-V which are on sale now. They are great but I recently demoed the new Adam S3H in my studio for 2 weeks and I was absolutely blown away. Will be demoing the HEDD Type 20 soon and interested to hear how they compare. The HEDD Type 30 would probably be a better comparison but they are too large for my space.
Sorry for the late reply.......

I demoed the S3H as well, was my first choice. I was fortunate to have both the S3H and the Type20 in the studio at the same time (talk about cramped with the S3X-H's as well. The Type 20 won out in the end. Still loving them. Type 30's are not too large for my space but just found what they offer above the Type 20 wasn't a game changer for me. So was happy to save the $'s.

Last edited by freezerman; 15th March 2019 at 12:20 PM..
Old 14th March 2019
@ freezerman thanks for your reply

I just odered my HEDD type 20 today (right before you replied )
so im looking forward to hear them.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Hello,

I have a dilemma !!!.

I hesitate between the Hedd Audio type 20, and the Neumann KH310A.

Unfortunetly I do not have the chance to find a shop in france to audition those two speakers at the same time.

My goal is getting the best translation. My room is treated + sonarworks.

Which of those two, would you choose and why?

I produce electronic dance music, Edm, house music.

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.

Regards

Sergio
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Head

HEDD has very poor distribution in many countries. Often it is impossible to order without placing special order as the distributor doesn’t normally stock HEDD so does not take return + restocking fee if you do not like it. No try, no buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

I have a dilemma !!!.

I hesitate between the Hedd Audio type 20, and the Neumann KH310A.

Unfortunetly I do not have the chance to find a shop in france to audition those two speakers at the same time.

My goal is getting the best translation. My room is treated + sonarworks.

Which of those two, would you choose and why?

I produce electronic dance music, Edm, house music.

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.

Regards

Sergio
Depends on what you like and if you want ported or sealed. Neumann KH310 great speaker but is soft dome, dry, and rather conservative but very very very revealing. HEDD uses an AMT tweeter which you should try before you buy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search