The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Almost ZERO talk about Hedd Type 30 or 20
Old 20th February 2021
Gear Maniac

Type 20 or 30 vs ATC SCM25A? What would you choose and why?
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quick note on hedd support: I mailed them again about the issue i was having and they sent me a new set of LF drivers. bear in mind i bought my 20s second hand and out of warranty. Haven't had a chance to swap them over yet and see if it makes a difference but gotta say that's pretty hot (non)customer service. thanks hedd
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer ➡️
Type 20 or 30 vs ATC SCM25A? What would you choose and why?
At that point is really a matter of room integration and personal taste.

The Hedd have the amt tweeter type of presentation (although the tweeter is very well integrated, imho better than in other designs), the ATC have a very nice revealing (amazing) midrange and great translation.

I’m on ATC since a long time, I like them, and I can judge/take decision fast on them..

I’d suggest that if you’re ready to spend between 6 or 8k on a pair of monitors, talk to your dealer and let them ship the Type30 and the SCM25 at your place and THEN decide with YOUR room, YOUR ears and taste.

Both are great monitors.
Form your own opinion.

I’d not base my decision on info found on the web (sure you can and should research and try to get an “overall” picture), but when you’re at this level, I’d make sure to listen to them in your room.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
But the barefoots are like almost double the Price of the type 20.
I went to the store to listen to speakers yesterday,
But They Didnt have many High end monitors there.
However, i got to listen to the Adam a7x, and They were sooo super harsh in the highs and midrange.
Is the heads anything like that? Almost couldnt listen to the sound. I know They kind of have a different tweeter, But i get afraid of buying the hedd since i Will mostly produce and track and listen to music on them and do less mastering,
For that purpose, is it still worth Going with hedds??
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frejfrej ➡️
However, i got to listen to the Adam a7x, and They were sooo super harsh in the highs and midrange.
Is the heads anything like that? Almost couldnt listen to the sound. I know They kind of have a different tweeter, But i get afraid of buying the hedd since i Will mostly produce and track and listen to music on them and do less mastering,
I’m sure you could find some of my posts where I say that the HEDD are nothing like the adams (imho).
Hedd’s owner is the ex designer (and ceo?) of adam, but the hedd are very different.. the HEDD is a better product imho.

Here I’m referring to the MK1, since I never heard the new MK2 (although I believe that they will be somewhat similar from a presentation point of view).

as I said in several posts that amt tweeter is very well integrated and while it has a type of presentation that is different from a soft dome or a metal tweeter, it’s not harsh sounding at all.
Some people even say that the top end is “subdued”, when they compare to other loudspeakers they have.. go figure..
I don’t agree with that, BUT I believe their other speakers might be more aggressive, therefore the hedd appearing “smoother” or even subdued in comparison.

I do think that they sound very open, very detailed, not harsh (unless the material you’re feeding them is harsh), effortless..

and I’m not a big fan of amt (or ribbon) tweeter in general (despite very few selected cases)..but the hedd are very good.
I’m on ATC scm25 (and others bigger atc’s) since about 10yrs.

But as said, try to listen to them in your space if you could.

Cheu
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frejfrej ➡️
Like @ cheu78 said, to me they are night and day.

I had the Adam S3X-H's and swapped them for the Type20, found I didn't need the 30's. I put the Adams up for sale after only a week of using the Type20's. Never looked back and remain extremely happy.
📝 Reply