The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Almost ZERO talk about Hedd Type 30 or 20
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Head

HEDD has very poor distribution in many countries. Often it is impossible to order without placing special order as the distributor doesn’t normally stock HEDD so does not take return + restocking fee if you do not like it. No try, no buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

I have a dilemma !!!.

I hesitate between the Hedd Audio type 20, and the Neumann KH310A.

Unfortunetly I do not have the chance to find a shop in france to audition those two speakers at the same time.

My goal is getting the best translation. My room is treated + sonarworks.

Which of those two, would you choose and why?

I produce electronic dance music, Edm, house music.

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.

Regards

Sergio
Depends on what you like and if you want ported or sealed. Neumann KH310 great speaker but is soft dome, dry, and rather conservative but very very very revealing. HEDD uses an AMT tweeter which you should try before you buy.
Old 25th April 2019
Here for the gear

Haven't found any 310's to try yet. But I had Quested's, S3V, HEDD sys 20, and PMC 226 here. Wasn't close. HEDD FTW! Amazing little speaker. Keep in mind the S3V and H are quite large. I'd almost want to call them mid-field monitors, if you don't want to hear the driver spearation too much. Which is always the issue I have with 3 way speakers, esp larger ones. I have to stand back not to be distracted by that separation. Altho once you find the spot it's pretty nice. I started to think I was just a 2 way guy (so to speak lol), until I tried the HEDD. They are small enough to work in the near field without having to push them back to hear the drivers as one unit. Also liked the PMC on orchestral material, just not on rock or pop with vocals. And decided they're overpriced. And they only weight like 8 lbs ea. It seemed a desirable feature, but when every other speak on the market is 4 times that, something must be wrong? lol I think they tried to do too much with that baffle system. Expecting it to act as a third driver in a way. It does a good job but doesn't handle vocals well and seems (or gives the impression of being) scooped. Can't deny the imaging tho.

I found the S series inefficiently powered compared to the HEDD as well. Really had to crank up the output of the speaker or my Dangerous ST to hear them well. But even cranked they simply weren't as clear as the HEDD, tho they're almost twice the size. That surprised me. Also surprised how much better the HEDD sounded than the 2108's. which are more cube shaped and quite a bit larger as well.

I tried (not at home, in the store) the Genelecs 41's, but didn't care much for them. They were a little too much single source sounding to me. Made them seem smaller. Wasn't an ideal space tho. But that was my impression. And they're too much $$. have to compare apples to apples. I really liked the Focal 11's as well, but size and cost are prohibitive. Oh also checked out the AX77. Liked them least of all. Oh and also heard (didn't take home) the JBL's, and didn't care for them for mixing for sure. Too dark, no detail. They do get loud tho.

So yes I agree the HEDD deserve more attention. I haven't heard the 30's, but I have a sub so no need for a speaker with more bottom. And tbh the 20's get pretty low as it is. I did tweak the eq settings for my space btw. And have not run the linearizer yet. Can expect that will only make it all even better. Will see.

As fr the tweeter, it is softer and rounder than the Adam imo. It doesn't pierce your brain or have any edge. Smooth is what I'd call it. As a good ribbon should be. Definitely an improvement over the other design. Detailed but not sharp or harsh at all. Surprisingly smooth really. Almost like a dome with the wet towel taken off.

Others may disagree. But that's what I heard. Always interested in other's opinions. Esp with a new product.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_O_Music View Post
I really liked the Focal 11's as well
Hi!, if money and size weren't a concern, which one would you pick? Focal Trio 11 or HEDD type 20?

How does their tweeter compare to each other?

Thank you!,

Daniel.
Old 14th May 2019
By the way, it appears that the Type 30 does not go any lower than the Type 20, it just has more heddroom (sorry).

This makes sense, as the box for the 30 is not twice as large as the 20 in ivolume.
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Random comment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
I have Adam S3X-V which I like very much in my Studio.

But Im interested in the HEDD monitors sound.
I assume that HEDD and Adam sound similar in the trebles?
Is there something that you would describe as a distingiush "Hedd Monitor" Sound (compared to the Adams)?
I’ve owned the Type 07 for over a year now. I’ve also heard the Type 30’s. In fact, the Type 30’s were my formal introduction to HEDD. I’ve also very familiar with
Most of the Adam line. To my ears, there some similarities in the tippy-top end and some of the low-lows if you Will, but that’s where it stops.

The midrange on the Hedd’s(Types 07, 20, & 30) is different sounding from Adam’s. HEDD’s midrange is very open and revealing without being ‘pokey’ or ‘shouting’. The upper mids on the HEDD’s are very cool because they don’t get bleary or smear, or Poke like the A7X’s or the (sorry y’all) the S2V’s. Don’t get me wrong, the S2V’s are excellent too. However, to me , they stand up in your face a little much around 4.5k-7k. Ive listened to some classic and beautifully engineered albums on the S2V’s and they’ve really cleaned out my ears. The HEDD’s don’t do that. And when they do show that problem area, it’s done so in a way that allows you to hear the problem, not feel it.

IMHO, HEDD’s are really underrated.

Also, someone else said that they are very clean and the drivers don’t break up even at high dB levels, this is true! Whatever insane composite Heinz and Freddy cooked up for this new line was well chosen

Final thoughts: if you have the means AND the space, the HEDD Type 30’s are unreal speakers. I’m surprised we haven’t seen them in more mastering houses.
But if Space is an issue and you want to keep the price lower, the Type 07’s are incredible. AND they can really crank if you want them too
Old 20th May 2019
meanwhile I had the Type 20 here

Unfortunately one bass speaker didnt work properly...it went off every few minutes.
So most of my comparisons I did in mono, having S3X-V and HEDD20 side by side.

Without the Linearizer I found the Type20 to be a little to strong in the low mids.
With the Linearizer they sound very linear and on the spot (very good stereo image - when I listened stereo...:P )

I would definately use them with the Linearizer Plugin!
I had troubles to run the plugin without crackling in stand alone mode (Spotify, youtube, media player etc...).
In my DAW it ran without problems.

My S3X-V has got less low mid and a little more (slightly nasal) high mid.

I recently had Adam S3V (new series) here and I found they sound more in the same direction like the HEDD.
I assume thats more correct...but somehow I like the S3X-V mid character in my room. Its fun to listen with them.
The S3X-V sound "bigger" than the HEDD - which they are - and they have a little more low end.
I had a client here and when he listened to the monitors he liked the S3x-V more than the HEDD.
He said they sound "bigger" and more pronounced...

After all I couldnt decide to sell my S3X and spend the extra money on the HEDD.
I think they are better, but not in a completely different league, so its still a matter of taste.
The HEDD helped me to do some EQ adjustments on my S3X and for now I'm still happy with them
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
meanwhile I had the Type 20 here

Unfortunately one bass speaker didnt work properly...it went off every few minutes.
So most of my comparisons I did in mono, having S3X-V and HEDD20 side by side.

Without the Linearizer I found the Type20 to be a little to strong in the low mids.
With the Linearizer they sound very linear and on the spot (very good stereo image - when I listened stereo...:P )

I would definately use them with the Linearizer Plugin!
I had troubles to run the plugin without crackling in stand alone mode (Spotify, youtube, media player etc...).
In my DAW it ran without problems.

My S3X-V has got less low mid and a little more (slightly nasal) high mid.

I recently had Adam S3V (new series) here and I found they sound more in the same direction like the HEDD.
I assume thats more correct...but somehow I like the S3X-V mid character in my room. Its fun to listen with them.
The S3X-V sound "bigger" than the HEDD - which they are - and they have a little more low end.
I had a client here and when he listened to the monitors he liked the S3x-V more than the HEDD.
He said they sound "bigger" and more pronounced...

After all I couldnt decide to sell my S3X and spend the extra money on the HEDD.
I think they are better, but not in a completely different league, so its still a matter of taste.
The HEDD helped me to do some EQ adjustments on my S3X and for now I'm still happy with them
Personally I don't think you can compare the HEDD Type 20 3 way to the Adam S3X-V 4 way. It should really be a comparison against the the HEDD Type 30 4 way.

I owed a pair of the Adam S3X-V for years and switched over to the HEDD Type 20's. After demoing them, I didn't feel I needed the bigger Type 30's. Absolutely love the Type 20's and don't miss my much loved Adams.
Old 1 week ago
S3X-V is 3 way
V not H
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

just fwiw:

If one were to compare them to AX's, one could say they are everything the AX's are, yet refined and more accurate and dont possess the tweeter zzzing.

The port system on the HEDD's is well designed and not prone to hype. They don't snort, or grunt or have a tonality. The AX7's, I found, had issues with the ports.
On older mixes/recordings, the HEDD's really show you where the low end rolls off (btw, the Type 07's dont roll off until 37Hz ... and the low end is big, but tight!)

\
HEDD's take very well to room correction software as well, although you don't necessarily need it, as the HEDD's are well balanced speakers.
Finally, it is nice to have a "Ribbon" tweeter setup that isnt under powered and matches the woofer !

Cheers !

~ J.

Last edited by J. David Hunter; 1 day ago at 10:07 PM.. Reason: already posted but final thoughts

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search