The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wunder Audio CM7-GT Condenser Microphones
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Addict

Wunder Audio CM7-GT

Hello wunder audio, people say the CM7 sounds great is your new k47 capsule as good as your (cm7) m7 capsule sonically ?
Can you describe the new K47 capsule sound compared to to CM7 capsule ?why the extra $200
On your wunder audio site you have detailed JPEGS of the CM7,
Do you have any JPEGS you can show us of the new K47 capsule and CM7-GT circuit board also the Tube please.

What do you mean when you say? - And there is something to be said about the mechanical switch in the CM7/U47 to change patterns as opposed to using a polarizing voltage from the PSU as in the GT (M49 & C12 does it this way also).

We are all excited about the CM7-GT! Is it sonically the same high quality sound as the CM7?

Is the CM7-GT a long body or a short body?

Does the CM7-GT power supply have switch polar patterns? How many? Any JPEGS?

Are they in stock?

Cheers
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Maniac

CM7-GT

I find the KK47 a tad on the bright side where as the M7 is more natural but that can just be my ears. The lows are pretty much the same.
The M7 has much higher machining cost due to the microscope aided hand operated machining process done in Switzerland needed to achieve the tolerances needed for uniform backplate depth within 1 micron. There is allot of fallout (wasted parts)
The CM7-GT part of our Website was just added today. More detailed interior photos will follow.
The pattern switch on the U47/CM7 achieves absolute cardoid where polarizing voltage can only get real close, usually not an issue sonically.
The CM7-GT almost sounds like a CM7. The CM7 has 3 dB more output due to the Steel tube and the CM7 has slightly more fine detail. The detail aspect is why the CM7 has been winning shootouts. At first they sound they sound the same but in critical blindfold text the CM7 always reveals a tad more resolution in the complex sine waves of the human voice. So far we have not evaluated anything other than voice. It is in the exact sound category as the CM7 if the M7 is used because of the same grill and transformer.
The CT is a long body. The PSU has 9 patterns. I want to stress that the PSU is made in the USA by Oliver of TAB Funkwerk. The PSU circuit is flawless. We were sent several Chinese made PSU's by manufacturers trying to get our business but none of them passed our test because they yielded artifacts such as buzzing etc. So. the complete system is completely handmade in Europe/USA.
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Head

Thanks Wunderkap, great info.

Have the GT's started shipping yet? (will Soundtools in the UK be getting them soon?)
Old 15th May 2007
Lives for gear

I hope they're shipping as I plan to put in an order this week for one!!!!
Old 15th May 2007
Lives for gear

I hope it will kick a** like the big brother does... The metalwork alone is worth every penny or cent...
Old 17th May 2007
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=Wunderkap;1278401]I find the KK47 a tad on the bright side where as the M7 is more natural but that can just be my ears. The lows are pretty much the same.

The M7 has much higher machining cost due to the microscope aided hand operated machining process done in Switzerland needed to achieve the tolerances needed for uniform backplate depth within 1 micron. There is allot of fallout (wasted parts)

27-5-2007
Hello Wunderkap -
Are you saying the KK47 is a cheaper made capsule to the M7?
Does this mean the overall quality of the KK47 is not good as the M7?

Please can you show a JPEG of your new KK47 so that buyers of the CM7-GT like myself can make up our minds which one to go for? We just need more info about your KK47 so we can compare it to the M7 and place an order with wunder audio which one to go for as we cannot hear the difference between the M7 and your own KK47

If the capsule is attached to the body of the CM7-GT does this improve the sound?

Is there a sonic improvement in the way you have made and designed the CM7-GT
compared to the CM7 ? Because the CM7 uses a very old designed based on the U47
and with technogly today i asume it would be an improvment for the CM7-GT does this sound right?

As you are using a glass tube in the CM7-GT, can you discribe the tonal quality of the sound this makes used with the mic? or to the CM7? I cannot see how it can sound like a CM7 as the tube and parts ar different!

Does the CM7-GT to you sound like a U67 U47 CM7 M149 U87 TLM103

When you say you( find the KK47 a tad on the bright side where as the M7 is more natural) - do you mean it is more harsh on the top end or it has more sizzle, what do you mean by more bright?
The mic is not $300 it is $3,000 so we need to have as much info as we can to make an order

Do your mic prices include shipping costs?

Are these mics below designed by you also?

High Profile Audio | Peluso 22 47 LE | 401-316-6423
High Profile Audio | Peluso Microphones | 401-316-6423

Peluso 22 47 Limited Edition Tube Microphone

22 47 Limited Edition Tube Microphone This microphone is inspired by and styled after the legendary "Neumann U-47", utilizing the German steel tube, EF14. It has the additional feature of 9 polar patterns, controlled from the power supply. It captures the low frequency nuances of the original "47" with smooth mids and balanced highs. The microphone comes as a complete system, with Microphone In Wood Box, Power Supply, 7 Conductor Cable, and Shock Mount in Flight Case. Hand made in the USA.
List $1969 The High Profile price is too low to advertise!!! Call today...

Cheers
Old 17th May 2007
Gear Addict

????
Old 18th May 2007
Gear Head

Woah man chill it out for a bit, the guy runs a whole company, I don't think he has time to troll GS all day. I'll start answering to whittle down this list a bit.
1. You said it yourself, this is a $3000 dollar mic, I don't think they would offer the KK47 just to lower the price $200, that's peanuts. Some people really do like brighter mics, the U47 is not known as a very bright mic in the first place so the KK47 capsule probably evens out the freq response a bit.
2. You are not going to be able to tell the difference in sound between the KK47 and the M7 just by looking at the capsule. You will also not be able to tell if the quality is 'worse' on a KK47, the extra expense has already been explained, extra drilling to within 1 micron from the back plate is hard and people screw up, so it costs more to get one that is correctly finished.
3. The tube used in a mic is only one part of a huge number of influences for sound. The capsule, grill, transformer, and circuit design are all incredibly important aspects of microphone design.
4. Have you heard any of the mics you are trying to get a comparison of? If you don't know the difference between capsules I highly doubt answering this question would have any bearing on your decision whether or not to buy this mic.
5. No, Wunder Audio is not Peluso Microphones. I beg of you to please try even just visiting the websites for these manufacturers before spouting all these questions.

That's all I know.
Old 18th May 2007
Gear Addict

Thank you paranoidandroid, we sing in a band and we are recording at the moment and producing our own music.
We have used many mics in the past and we have heard alot about the CM7 so we think the CM7-GT is good for us, we just got too excited.
Cheers
Old 18th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
...we sing in a band and we are recording at the moment and producing our own music.
We have used many mics in the past and we have heard alot about the CM7 so we think the CM7-GT is good for us, we just got too excited.
Yes, my precious...
Old 18th May 2007

I've owned a CM7 for about 6 months now and that mic is stunning. I just did a male country singer ala George Strait and the CM7>LTD-1>1176 made him sound like a god! Massive, warm and detailed.
Old 19th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
Thanks Wunderkap, great info.

Have the GT's started shipping yet? (will Soundtools in the UK be getting them soon?)
Hi Tony,

Was it you that i did the CM7 demo with vs the Blue Bottle?

Mike told me that the GT's are going to be ready to ship in about 2-3 weeks, personally cant wait to hear it.

Old 19th May 2007
Lives for gear
I don't know if this was just the salesman in him talking, but Mike says that the GT sounds practically identical to the CM7. He said the CM7 wins shootouts because it has a little more detail, but on first listen they sound scarily similar. We'll see...
Old 19th May 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

Do you have a favorite position for the the vocalist on the mic? For example, how many inches away? Aiming position?

I have found that singing over the top or bottom of the mic close in is very interesting.

I find the mic rich - but it is detailed - so it really helps improve my singing skills.

I still wish I had a pair. They have such nice detail, I would imagine they would be great on overheads.

Also, the omni mode is interesting as well. Especially for harmony parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I've owned a CM7 for about 6 months now and that mic is stunning. I just did a male country singer ala George Strait and the CM7>LTD-1>1176 made him sound like a god! Massive, warm and detailed.
Old 20th May 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
Hi Tony,

Was it you that i did the CM7 demo with vs the Blue Bottle?

Mike told me that the GT's are going to be ready to ship in about 2-3 weeks, personally cant wait to hear it.

Hey, no it wasn't me. Anyhow, I'm gonna decide between the CM7 and the GT - if the difference between them isn't as much as the price difference suggests I may go for the GT. We'll see.
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderkap View Post
I find the KK47 a tad on the bright side where as the M7 is more natural but that can just be my ears. The lows are pretty much the same.
Could you say a bit more about the sonic differences between the two capsules in this mic? It would be greatly appreciated.

Also, just to confirm, the capsules and transformers in the GT are the same as used in the CM7, correct?

Thanks,
Old 24th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69 View Post
Could you say a bit more about the sonic differences between the two capsules in this mic? It would be greatly appreciated.

Also, just to confirm, the capsules and transformers in the GT are the same as used in the CM7, correct?

See this link:

CM7 microphone, CM12 mic

Also, Mike said this a few posts up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkap
I find the KK47 a tad on the bright side where as the M7 is more natural but that can just be my ears. The lows are pretty much the same. It is in the exact sound category as the CM7 if the M7 is used because of the same grill and transformer.
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the link Nathan, I had seen that, but forgot the transformer question was addressed. It's still not clear about the capsules (although it may just be a typo on the site).

If you notice, I quoted the same quote as you. I'm still interested in hearing more information about the sonic differences between those two capsules in that mic. There's a lot of information on the internet about the difference in the K47 and M7 capsules, but that refers to different manufacturers and more importantly in different mic's.
Old 24th May 2007
Are these capsules newly manufactured by wunder

or reskinned ? or both depending on what the customer prefers?

As far as I know m7's are only made by geffel.

and does neumann still makes the k47?
Old 30th May 2007
Lives for gear
When are these shipping?
Old 30th May 2007
Lives for gear

allegedly todayheh
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear
Anyone? Pimps?
Old 1st June 2007
Gear Addict

Hmmm...no one's received one yet to give an initial impression?
Old 2nd June 2007
Rep
Lives for gear

I am hoping to get both soon ,
I will then see what one is best for me .
Most dealers are being Uncooperative with me
So I will have to shop around to get both to demo
keeping the one that is the best for My application
Old 2nd June 2007
Lives for gear

The regualr CM7 is great! I've never heard it sound bad on a singer...as long as the singer sounded good. Bad singerts through amazing gear still sound bad unfortunately! It takes to eq quite well compared with other condensors I use. I also think that mike's "I'm going to take the holy grail and improve it" approach to gear design is very cool.
Old 2nd June 2007
No dealer has received the CM7-GT yet. So there are none for customers to demo, and none to compare to each other or other microphones.

As soon as there is a consistent supply, or any supply at all, we'll make sure that it's well known publicly. Thanks.
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Addict

mic images inside

Hello wunder audio, the internet shows you make good microphones, however I found these images of the neumann m147 and tlm93.
Will the cm7gt look similar to these two neumann mics inside from your info say or different . I have a freind who had a tlm93 and it sounded very bad. I myself have used the neaumann m147 and that sounded bad also.

Cheers wunder

Wunder Audio CM7-GT-neumann-tlm193-pcb-capsule.jpg

Wunder Audio CM7-GT-inside-m147.jpg
Old 30th June 2007
Gear Addict

Sheesh...what kind of questions is that? Are we now judging the sound of microphones by how much they look like another mic?

I don't own any Wunder equipment yet, but I imagine I will. Thus far I've found Wunder to be very responsive to inquiries, honest, and by all reports truly committed to quality.

I'm as anxious as anyone to hear the CM7-GT, but am happy to see they're taking the time to make sure the product is functioning to their standards before releasing it.
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
Hello wunder audio, the internet shows you make good microphones, however I found these images of the neumann m147 and tlm93.
Will the cm7gt look similar to these two neumann mics inside from your info say or different . I have a freind who had a tlm93 and it sounded very bad. I myself have used the neaumann m147 and that sounded bad also.

Cheers wunder
John, I don't mean to be rude but judging from your questions if I was you I wouldn't even be in the market for that microphone anyway...its like you just learned how to drive...why shell out the cash to buy a porsche?...get a toyota instead and if you don't wreck it within a couple years then go ahead and upgrade. At this moment though the Wunder would be a waste of money for you.
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear
Well...that was kind of snobby...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search