The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87 Connection Issue - High Pitch Ringing (not grounding or cable issue) Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

U87 Connection Issue - High Pitch Ringing (not grounding or cable issue)

Hi guys - I have run into a problem that I can't quite seem to fix.

I have had no issues with my Neumann U87 up until I went on vacation and came back to this:

URL if embed doesn't work: U87 Feedback-static by rhetorik | rhetorik | Free Listening on SoundCloud

It's a brand new Mogami Gold cable, I'm plugged in to a power conditioner, no speakers are on. I've tried turning on the lights in my studio off, turning my monitor off, unplugging my laptop - all to no avail. I've plugged in other cables just to try - same problem. I've plugged it in and walked around the room - same problem.

It seems to be the connection on the U87. It's not loose at all, but different amounts of pressure will change the intensity of the feedback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Terminate ground AND shield on XLR pin #1 AND connector housing, and do so on BOTH connector ends. Then report back!

(I do not like the sound of Mogami, by the way. Also, AFAIK, none of their XLR cables have a dedicated ground return for 48VDC Phantom, but use the shield as ground reference; but that should not have anything to do with your issue.)
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Terminate ground AND shield on XLR pin #1 AND connector housing, and do so on BOTH connector ends. Then report back!

(I do not like the sound of Mogami, by the way. Also, AFAIK, none of their XLR cables have a dedicated ground return for 48VDC Phantom, but use the shield as ground reference; but that should not have anything to do with your issue.)
Thanks for the response! So this is what it looks like now.

In case hyperlink doesn't work, too new to embed images... : Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Should I be taking half the wire from pin 1 and soldering it onto the tab?

And let's say my soldering skills are novice-level - is there a brand of XLR that comes correct out of the box, or should I be prepared to dust off the ol' iron?
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Check out last chapter with illustrations here (found it on the net):
Gotham AG - Gotham Cables - 10701 GAC-3 - powered by Contrexx

If your cable does not have a third (ground) conductor, as in the above illustration, you can either use half the strands of your shield and terminate it at the tab, as you had suggested, or leave all of the shield on pin #1 and make a short jumper from pin #1 to the housing tab.

Remember: you MUST install this scheme on both connectors! Do not leave housing or shield unterminated on one side!

Last edited by Klaus; 18th December 2018 at 03:30 AM..
Old 18th December 2018
Use a continuity meter to test for a ground connection to the XLR shell. Usually the mic body already has that. Same applies to the mic preamp.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search