The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking at Audient 4816 for a college studio, any similar alternatives? Consoles
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Looking at Audient 4816 for a college studio, any similar alternatives?

If I am lucky enough to get the budget to purchase an Audient 4816 and desk to hold computer, monitors, etc., would there be any similarly priced ($20k) and sized (16-24 pres) console options I should give a look?

I like the idea of retaining analog workflow for being a good teaching tool and also less to go wrong with digital components, etc. Also, not a lot of digital menus to wade through and teach, which would be unique to each brand. I like to focus on the universal components of signal flow.

Despite liking analog, I also want to be sure it interfaces well with Pro Tools and other DAW software, which it looks like it does in terms of routing possibilities.

In short, I'm pretty sold on the Audient and it seems perfect for both teaching and project needs, but I want to make sure I am considering every option. Thanks!

edit: I should also add that I have seen a lot of other threads with mostly praise for the Audient... I also saw that API the Box is similarly priced and although I'm sure it has a really cool sound, might not be as ideal for student project use and teaching. At least, from initially looking at it.
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Hi Nate, Many of my educator buds tell me that the Audient is beautifully laid out, bulletproof and sounds super-clean - all round great choice for a school studio. Would you like me to connect you with a few people who are already using it so that you can get some feedback? PM, or give me a call. Chris @ Vintage King.
Old 18th December 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks Chris! I'll get in touch soon. Sounds like this may be the way to go. Reliability is a huge plus for me.
Old 18th December 2018
The Audient could work well... they're well made, but don't have a particularly distinctive "sound," if that matters to you. The Trident 78 is also a possibility, but I can't vouch for its reliability and such.
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Addict

Maybe a trident 78 since it's at least somewhat modular and 24 channels.
Old 18th December 2018
I would also highly recommend the Audient. Not only does it sound great, but it's very well made, love the short, and long faders, as well as it's nice bus compressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search