The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Speakers Studio Monitors
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

New Speakers

Hi,

since more than 10 years I have Klein + Hummel O300 with an O800 Subwoofer.
I like them, I can work with them and everything sounds very reliable in the end, but until I get there, I am somtimes missing fun and energy, which is a little bit tiring. What are your recommandations for an upgrade to next level analytic speakers with fun. I didn´t like so much Genelec and Amphion, because they sound "too good" in my perception and I could not gel with the Adam high frequencies....?

Thank you
Old 15th December 2018
I don't think anyone can tell you what the next level would be for your preferences beyond guessing.

You mentioned "missing fun and energy" and I'm not sure what you mean by that. To me the system is just reporting what is there, hopefully with as little editing as possible. The fun should come from the material. However if you mean that regardless of the material the system you have edits the fun out of the playback then it might be that you actually don't get along that well with that system, or you don't get along with that system with whatever room acoustics you have going.

In any case the search is yours and there's no guarantee that switching will bring you what you want. I can only tell you what I like. One of the brands that I like is Barefoot Sound. You might look into them.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Nut

Vibe wise I'd go for the Eve audio SC3012 or SC3010
Also on the closed cabinet side, APS Trinity and Barefoot mm26
Old 19th December 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks, I will check these...
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
I don't think anyone can tell you what the next level would be for your preferences beyond guessing.

You mentioned "missing fun and energy" and I'm not sure what you mean by that. To me the system is just reporting what is there, hopefully with as little editing as possible. The fun should come from the material. However if you mean that regardless of the material the system you have edits the fun out of the playback then it might be that you actually don't get along that well with that system, or you don't get along with that system with whatever room acoustics you have going.

In any case the search is yours and there's no guarantee that switching will bring you what you want. I can only tell you what I like. One of the brands that I like is Barefoot Sound. You might look into them.
^This.

And I’d add PSI to the list.

I’ll have to disagree with you about the Amphion system. It’s pretty flat. I can’t comment on other aspects since I don’t own them but the full range system seemed as unflattering as it gets. I’d say PSI are a little more vibe actually and I Can’t comment on genelec.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtrespass View Post
Thanks, I will check these...
+1 to what Enlightenend Hand said!
I'd say check out the ATC scm25 or 45 or scm50 upwards (depending on the size of your room).

maybe also the KS Digital A200, if budget is a consideration, but that might be more of a "side" move..
and as said before it's mainly a "taste" matter at that level, what do you like to hear and how used you are to a system..

for exemple I'm not a barefoot fan at all, but that doesn't stop their owners to put out great sounding records.

Cheu
Old 24th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtrespass View Post
Hi,

since more than 10 years I have Klein + Hummel O300 with an O800 Subwoofer.
I like them, I can work with them and everything sounds very reliable in the end, but until I get there, I am somtimes missing fun and energy, which is a little bit tiring. What are your recommandations for an upgrade to next level analytic speakers with fun. I didn´t like so much Genelec and Amphion, because they sound "too good" in my perception and I could not gel with the Adam high frequencies....?

Thank you
Be careful, as "fun and energy" can also be described as "less accurate and revealing".

Personally, I use the ME-Geithain RL 944K (though the new RL 934K are almost the same size and price, but have a larger bass unit and have a slightly better bass extension).
Old 24th December 2018
mrc
Lives for gear
Your current setup consists in a sealed pair of monitors complimented by a ported sub. Regardless of what monitor brand you end up choosing, a step up would be first of all to go for stereo sealed subs, and, of course, sealed monitors. There are fewer sealed options, and usually the prices are higher, but i think it s a good investment.
Old 27th December 2018
Enjoying the GolderEar Aon 2's here. Sealed cab's, passive radiators on the sides. AMT folded ribbon tweeter, same as used on their $5k Triton towers. 12" high, they are very small but do 45 hz. I use a custom sealed 15" sub with them. 25hz to 35k hz and fabulous transient response. Only .79% THD at 100 db SPL, pretty darn good for a tiny speaker. $800 per pair.
GoldenEar Technology | A Passion For Sonic Perfection
Old 5th February 2019
I can suggest the Eve Audio SC3010/12 if your room can handle them.
The handmade AMT is just insanely smooth and has nothing to do with the harsh and agressive highs produced by most speakers using the same technology.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search