The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken Neumann m249
Old 13th December 2018
Here for the gear

Telefunken Neumann m249

I have a Telefunken Neumann m249b I'm Tryin to get a price they range from, so I can sell it.. I know very little about it. All info would be greatly appreciated.. Thx

Also it's rebuilt busy blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Telefunken Neumann m249-img_20181201_164402.jpg   Telefunken Neumann m249-img_20181201_164449.jpg  
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Suddenly, as your last sentence came into view, loud sirens started to blare.....

To get a solid answer to your valuation question of this mic will require CSI-level investigation: B.L.U.E. has been implicated in massive substitutions of original parts on seemingly "vintage" mics. The fact they even added a riveted metal label on the back does not bode well...

Open up the mic, shoot a bunch of close-ups and either post them here or send them to me, and we will get you some solid info that will determine the desirability and realistic valuation of this mic.

Last edited by Klaus; 14th December 2018 at 04:53 AM..
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Jetta MKIII has sent me the photo. As I had suspected: aside of possibly the basket and the Neumann I.D. plate, not a single original Neumann component visible on this mic.

As to value: zero collectible value, and a hard to determine value as a recording tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Telefunken Neumann m249-unnamed.jpg  

Last edited by Klaus; 14th December 2018 at 06:13 AM..
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Sadly, no part of that mic has ever seen the inside of a Neumann factory.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Suddenly, as your last sentence came into view, loud sirens started to blare.....

To get a solid answer to your valuation question of this mic will require CSI-level investigation: B.L.U.E. has been implicated in massive substitutions of original parts on seemingly "vintage" mics. The fact they even added a riveted metal label on the back does not bode well...

Open up the mic, shoot a bunch of close-ups and either post them here or send them to me, and we will get you some solid info that will determine the desirability and realistic valuation of this mic.
I tried to bring up more details on this, but without success. Could you highlight any threads on GS or elsewhere concerning the practice of substitution by B.L.U.E of original parts? I'd like to arm myself with some knowledge of what's been happening. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pk View Post
I tried to bring up more details on this, but without success. Could you highlight any threads on GS or elsewhere concerning the practice of substitution by B.L.U.E of original parts? I'd like to arm myself with some knowledge of what's been happening. Thanks in advance.
There is no substitution. The mic is 100% counterfeit. One of the people involved in the fraud (he supplied the Telefunken logos and serial number badges) told me the whole story. It's a shame. There are so many of these mics out there, and they were sold on a false premise.

For quick proof that the serial badge is fake, look at the "2" and "3" on an original, and notice how different they are. The "b" as well.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
As to value: zero collectible value, and a hard to determine value as a recording tool.
The capsules tend to be dark. If you put a real K47 in there, they are actually decent sounding mics.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
There is no substitution. The mic is 100% counterfeit. One of the people involved in the fraud (he supplied the Telefunken logos and serial number badges) told me the whole story. It's a shame. There are so many of these mics out there, and they were sold on a false premise.

For quick proof that the serial badge is fake, look at the "2" and "3" on an original, and notice how different they are. The "b" as well.
Sorry if I'm being dense here but, to confirm: although this has been perpetrated be people who've used the 'B.L.U.E.' acronym, I assume it has no connection to the Blue Microphone Company, i.e. the company summarised in this entry at Wikipedia Blue Microphones - Wikipedia ?
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pk View Post
Sorry if I'm being dense here but, to confirm: although this has been perpetrated be people who've used the 'B.L.U.E.' acronym, I assume it has no connection to the Blue Microphone Company, i.e. the company summarised in this entry at Wikipedia Blue Microphones - Wikipedia ?
Same company. They started out by refurbing Neumann Gefell mics, like the UM57, and Lomo 19A9s, and a couple U47s and M49s, but then went into the wholesale fraud business, with the unwitting help of Guitar Center. They eventually did their own designs. This is all prior to the sale of the company in 2008.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

And in answer to your original question, BLUE 47s and 49s tend to sell in the $5,000 range.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
The mic is 100% counterfeit (...) For quick proof that the serial badge is fake, look at the "2" and "3" on an original, and notice how different they are. The "b" as well.
I hedged on declaring the basket and serial number plate of this mic authentic for a simple reason: unless I can be 100% sure (and sometimes only through physical inspection) I do not make such declarations when even 1% in doubt.

The i.d. plate's features, when compared to genuine M249 I have inspected, are not clear-cut fake, as I could tell from the picture. Physical inspection of the basket (weave arrangement, wire gauge, plating, surface sheen, etc.) and i.d. plate (thickness, color rendering, character spacing etc.) is the only way for me to tell for sure.

But it does not matter: only the value of this mic as a usable recording tool will ultimately determine the sales price.

P.S.: J.J., I'll buy you a Kölsch if the owner gets $5K cash for this thing.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hedged on the authenticity of the basket and serial number plate of this mic or a simple reason: unless I can be 100% sure (sometimes only through physical inspection) I do not make declarations of authenticity.

The i.d. plate's features, when compared to genuine M249 I have inspected, are not clear-cut fake, as can be assessed from the picture. Physical inspection of the basket (weave arrangement, wire gauge, plating, surface sheen, etc.) and i.d. plate (thickness, color rendering, character spacing etc.) is the only way for me to tell for sure.

But it does not matter: the value of this mic as a usable recording tool will ultimately determine the sales price.

P.S.: J.J., I'll buy you a Kölsch if the owner gets $5K cash for this thing.
Klaus, let me correct myself: These tend to be for sale in the $5,000 range. What they actually sell for is another story.

BTW, the only reason I say it with any certainty is because of the confession from one of the men involved in the fraud. It's disappointing that even when asked specifically about it, and given a chance to cop to it, Skipper and Martins still tell the same story to this day. I considered these guys friends, and was a very early client, even before the fakes. I had hoped they would have let me in on the secret. I was the guy they called when they needed PR help with the Violet/JZ injunction. Apparently there's only so much they wanted to share.

BTW, I had one of their earliest "refurbs," and maybe a couple pieces of the capsule mount assembly might have been original, like the switch and perspex. Nothing else was. I also had one of the 49s, and zero% of that was real. It kinda sucked until I put a K47 on it, too. Bought it cheap, sold it cheap, replaced it with a real one. All part of my mic education, I suppose.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search