The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lucid 8824...I've got some questions! Audio Interfaces
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
I adjusted all of the levels at once and still nothing actually changed on the unit.
Ok, I put up new Windows exe's, version 0.4.0:
Release Channel Reversal, Remove MIDI and Configfile code * danmechanic/glucid * GitHub

I'm interested to see the output of the command line interface.

If you download glucid.exe to your downloads directory, you could open 'cmd' (from your search bar) and change to your downloads folder using the 'cd Downloads' command and run glucid. Here is an example, assuming you are using COM1 for your serial port:

Code:
C:\Users\mechanic>cd Downloads

C:\Users\mechanic\Downloads>glucid -d COM1 --get_gain
If you had set the unit to be all +4, you would see something like:
Code:
Using COM1 to connect to lucid ID 00

Analog Gain:

Recommended: +4dBu: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
            -10dBV: IN +4 dB OUT -11 dB

Channel 1: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
        Channel 2: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
        Channel 3: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
        Channel 4: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
        Channel 5: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
        Channel 6: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
        Channel 7: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
        Channel 8: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
Then, to test, you could change the output gain of channel 1 to +20:

Code:
C:\Users\mechanic\Downloads>glucid -d COM1 --sco="+20" 1
----------------------------------------

glucid and glucid8824.py:
Copyright (C) 2017,2018 Daniel R Mechanic
GPL version 3 ONLY <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
This is free software, and you are welcome to
change and redistribute it under certain circumstances;
For details see LICENSE

Analog Gain:

Channel 1: IN -8 dB OUT  +20dB
Using -h will show many options, but if you wanted to then set all ins and outs to +4 again, you could run:

Code:
C:\Users\mechanic\Downloads>glucid -d COM1 --set_gain="+4"
To see all values:
Code:
C:\Users\mechanic\Downloads>glucid -d COM1 -g
Let me know if this operates as expected... if not, please post the output you see. (you can also use -v to produce debugging output, but there will be alot!)

Also, if the values you see are the ones you are expecting, but they aren't 'really' changing, please let me know how you are testing.

BTW, it's probably best to just keep all dip switches down... and leave them.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by streber View Post
Ok, I put up new Windows exe's, version 0.4.0:
Release Channel Reversal, Remove MIDI and Configfile code * danmechanic/glucid * GitHub

I'm interested to see the output of the command line interface.

If you download glucid.exe to your downloads directory, you could open 'cmd' (from your search bar) and change to your downloads folder using the 'cd Downloads' command and run glucid. Here is an example, assuming you are using COM1 for your serial port:

Code:
C:\Users\mechanic>cd Downloads

C:\Users\mechanic\Downloads>glucid -d COM1 --get_gain
If you had set the unit to be all +4, you would see something like:
Code:

Analog Gain:

Channel 1: IN -8 dB OUT  +1 dB
Then, to test, you could change the output gain of channel 1 to +20:

Code:
C:\Users\mechanic\Downloads>glucid -d COM1 --sco="+20" 1

glucid and glucid8824.py:
Copyright (C) 2017,2018 Daniel R Mechanic
GPL version 3 ONLY <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
This is free software, and you are welcome to
change and redistribute it under certain circumstances;
For details see LICENSE

Analog Gain:

Channel 1: IN -8 dB OUT  +20dB
Using -h will show many options, but if you wanted to then set all ins and outs to +4 again, you could run:

Code:
C:\Users\mechanic\Downloads>glucid -d COM1 --set_gain="+4"
To see all values:
Code:
C:\Users\mechanic\Downloads>glucid -d COM1 -g
Let me know if this operates as expected... if not, please post the output you see. (you can also use -v to produce debugging output, but there will be alot!)

Also, if the values you see are the ones you are expecting, but they aren't 'really' changing, please let me know how you are testing.

BTW, it's probably best to just keep all dip switches down... and leave them.
So I’ve been returning the dip switches to their normal positions after doing the settings. Is this why the settings haven’t been staying? Does using this software allow me to just keep all of the dipswitches down and disregard them entirely?
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Is this why the settings haven’t been staying? Does using this software allow me to just keep all of the dipswitches down and disregard them entirely?

Ok. I'm not sure this one is my fault... before I wrote the software I read in a thread a long time ago that you should return the dip switch up.

I have just done some more testing ... you should absolutely leave the dip switches down. I'll update my docs, etc.

When I set my input to +20, the change takes effect immediately, and lasts through a power cycle... If I then set dip switch 1 to 'up', the input returns to -8 (if I then put the dip switch BACK down, it returns to +20). To be clear... the Lucid will always report the software setting. So, if you have set the input to +20 and put the unit in 'local mode', it will still report that it's input is set at +20, but it will ACTUALLY use -8

I always knew the 'other' settings would come from the dip switches, but I always thought the gain would stay.

So the rule is; if you are manipulating the device at all via software, leave the device in 'remote mode'. (dip switch 1 down).... For ease, setting ALL the switches down is a good rule since this will also set the Lucid ID to 0.

... I went down a rabbit hole of code re-factoring, found a couple of other minor bugs... and should be releasing a 0.5.0 in not too long.
Old 14th February 2019
Here for the gear
I just wanted to follow-up that I did make an 0.5.0 release: Release v0.5.0 Code-Refactoring, cleanup, and bugfixes * danmechanic/glucid * GitHub

... and if you use 'pip' to install, this would actually be 0.5.1

I apologize for the delay (if you were waiting for these minor changes)... I really wrestled with OSX codesigning... but again gave up; if you don't start your project with their dev tools, they make it very difficult. *sigh*

Curious if your lucid is now working as expected...
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just wanted to follow-up that I did make an 0.5.0 release: Release v0.5.0 Code-Refactoring, cleanup, and bugfixes * danmechanic/glucid * GitHub

... and if you use 'pip' to install, this would actually be 0.5.1

I apologize for the delay (if you were waiting for these minor changes)... I really wrestled with OSX codesigning... but again gave up; if you don't start your project with their dev tools, they make it very difficult. *sigh*

Curious if your lucid is now working as expected...
So my Lucid will not connect with Pro Tools if the first dip switch isn’t up. So the settings are writing and everything is working as it should, but it doesn’t matter because Pro Tools won’t recognize it. My guess is because I am running via AES and option in the app to assign the out AES channels is grayed our for some reason. Does that makes sense?
Old 15th February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
So my Lucid will not connect with Pro Tools if the first dip switch isn’t up. So the settings are writing and everything is working as it should, but it doesn’t matter because Pro Tools won’t recognize it. My guess is because I am running via AES and option in the app to assign the out AES channels is grayed our for some reason. Does that makes sense?
Ugh. Disappointing.

Can you elaborate a little bit by what you mean that 'Pro Tools won't recognize it' ?

(I would think that ProTools only shows you your aes ins/outs... and be completely unaware of what they are attached to)

The option that is greyed out is AES In (A to D) routing... it is currently greyed out because my unit doesn't seem to change no matter what. (I do have one thing left to try to see if I can get that to work, which I will try and follow-up).

However routing Analog Out from AES In (D to A) can be set from the 'Analog Out' of my app... and that setting sticks... (and appears to work properly with my testing)

Does D-to-A work, but not A-to-D?
Old 15th February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
My guess is because I am running via AES and option in the app to assign the out AES channels is grayed our for some reason.

Ok, I figured out how to route analog ins to aes...

Although this setting does NOT appear to change as documented, I was looking carefully at the Autodesk Hardware Configuration Guide:
http://download.autodesk.com/us/syst..._ibm6217dc.pdf

...and if you look at the audio wiring diagram with the rs232 ada8824 on pg31, you will see that they are using an 'optical loopback cable'... meaning; an adat cable plugged from its own adat OUT to its own adat IN

Without any setting changes... I was able to route analog audio to aes, once I attached a loopback optical cable in that way.

Please try it and let me know!
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I figured out how to route analog ins to aes...

Although this setting does NOT appear to change as documented, I was looking carefully at the Autodesk Hardware Configuration Guide:
http://download.autodesk.com/us/syst..._ibm6217dc.pdf

...and if you look at the audio wiring diagram with the rs232 ada8824 on pg31, you will see that they are using an 'optical loopback cable'... meaning; an adat cable plugged from its own adat OUT to its own adat IN

Without any setting changes... I was able to route analog audio to aes, once I attached a loopback optical cable in that way.

Please try it and let me know!
This sounds promising and I thank you for your time spent helping me with this. I’m busy tracking for the few days but I will test this out ASAP.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Suggestion to the OP: Why not sell the Lucid 8824 and purchase a used Lucid 88192? It's a better unit, all it's features are controlled through an integrated user interface (i.e., no DIP switches, etc.) and is much easier to use with current computers and recording interfaces.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Suggestion to the OP: Why not sell the Lucid 8824 and purchase a used Lucid 88192? It's a better unit, all it's features are controlled through an integrated user interface (i.e., no DIP switches, etc.) and is much easier to use with current computers and recording interfaces.
I have an 88192. DA levels aren’t adjustable via the front panel (or in any other way other than +4 or -10)
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an 88192. DA levels aren’t adjustable via the front panel (or in any other way other than +4 or -10)
So what? Do you have a monitor level control? Or an output level control on the device which feeds the DA inputs on the 88192?

What does the Lucid 8824 have that the Lucid 88192 does not have?
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
So what? Do you have a monitor level control? Or an output level control on the device which feeds the DA inputs on the 88192?

What does the Lucid 8824 have that the Lucid 88192 does not have?
The DA calibration matters for proper calibration with other units in my system such as monitor controllers with built in DA’s among other things. The +24 default level of the 88192 is 4-6db hotter than anything else I have in my system. And I also greatly prefer the sound of 8824 and I have absolutely compared them, I’m guessing more than anyone. If the 88192 had adjustable DA levels like it does AD levels AND it sounded as good or better, BELIEVE ME I’d save myself the hassle. I’m not a sadist!
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

So I got the software to work and the levels calibrated correctly on the unit! The channels are in fact backwards with slider 8 in the software controlling channel 1 on the convertor but plugging the lightpipe cable into itself on the 8824 made it work. The ONLY issue I'm still having is that for some reason in Software mode, My AD channels 1-2 wont recognize in Pro Tools. I can see signal getting to them on the front of the Lucid but it doesn't show up in PT. I'm not sure why that is since the same unit works perfectly when I use the dip switches to do that stock calibration.
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Good to hear you got it sorted.

Quote:
And I also greatly prefer the sound of 8824 and I have absolutely compared them, I’m guessing more than anyone. If the 88192 had adjustable DA levels like it does AD levels AND it sounded as good or better, BELIEVE ME I’d save myself the hassle. I’m not a sadist!
Interesting, I haven't heard or used the 88192. I've had a 8824 for years, very happy with it.

I saw an ad for 8824's years ago, Chuck Ainlay reported that he'd switched from tape to digital and was using 8824s. If that's true then it's a ringing endorsement of the 8824.
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
So I got the software to work and the levels calibrated correctly on the unit! The channels are in fact backwards with slider 8 in the software controlling channel 1 on the convertor but plugging the lightpipe cable into itself on the 8824 made it work. The ONLY issue I'm still having is that for some reason in Software mode, My AD channels 1-2 wont recognize in Pro Tools. I can see signal getting to them on the front of the Lucid but it doesn't show up in PT. I'm not sure why that is since the same unit works perfectly when I use the dip switches to do that stock calibration.

First, let me thank you for following up! I'm not sure anyone else is using the software but you... and I'm grateful someone is!

Second; these all sound like bugs that I have fixed since we started corresponding... can you confirm that these issues are not with the latest version?

(I definitely worked on the reverse channel piece... and I did also find a bug regarding dig 1,2 ... which can be routed from aes or spdif)

Please let me know if these issues exist in my current version.

Again, thank you much! You seemed to hit every bug I didn't find!

Lemme know. Cheers!
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
First, let me thank you for following up! I'm not sure anyone else is using the software but you... and I'm grateful someone is!

Second; these all sound like bugs that I have fixed since we started corresponding... can you confirm that these issues are not with the latest version?

(I definitely worked on the reverse channel piece... and I did also find a bug regarding dig 1,2 ... which can be routed from aes or spdif)

Please let me know if these issues exist in my current version.

Again, thank you much! You seemed to hit every bug I didn't find!

Lemme know. Cheers!
So if I download the latest software update you did and re-write the settings, CH 1-2 will work via AES and the channel information will be correct 1-8 instead of being backwards?
Old 11th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
So if I download the latest software update you did and re-write the settings, CH 1-2 will work via AES and the channel information will be correct 1-8 instead of being backwards?
It should!

Looking through the code history, I made changes to fix these issues on Jan 23... and were released in 0.5.0 just last month... I'd be grateful if you tried it!

Latest Glucid Release
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear
Lucid 88192 issue

Hi Folks
this is my first post here and I hope I can find some help with my 2 Lucid 88192

The problem is when I just switch on one of the Lucid Converter (with only power cord is plugged in) the central display with the metering of both lucid ada shows some wired metering on channel 1-6 while channel 7 and 8 behave normal.

I´ve tested if the noise I see on the display produces sound and yes there is some noise at -30db on channel 1-6 while channel 7 and 8 behave normal. I plugged a pair of XLR snakes into my CD Recorder XLR analog output to test audio via lucid analog input 7/8 and everything was excelent.

menue of the lucid is very simple so I´m sure I used the right states in the lucid menue to produce 8 analog channel Input AD to AES/EBU output via DB25 Tdif snake into a Motu 2408 mk3 Tdif port A,B or C.

Can somebody help me to find out from what this noise on comes when I just power on the lucids?

Thanks a lot for your support
stay tuned
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear
What does the display say it's metering?

Is it trying to clock sync to something external that is not attached?

Is is possible you are 'seeing' digital errors from a non-connected input?

There are many routing options in the 88192... and the routing options work in pairs.... which could explain one pair acting differently. My guess would be clock is not sync'd or you have an adat intput uncovered..... just a guess.
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
What does the display say it's metering?

Hi Streber
look at this YT Video from another 88192 user who´s problem was similiar to mine.

Is it trying to clock sync to something external that is not attached?

My 88192 problem is the same, no matter if I use my Rosendahl Nanoclock or Steinberg CSX816 or Motu 2408 for clocking. It´s behavoir is same as when only pluged in the power cable and switch the converters on. First comes the Lucid lettering and then display switch to central 8-channel meters view.

Is is possible you are 'seeing' digital errors from a non-connected input?

Can you please explain what you mean? Not sure

There are many routing options in the 88192... and the routing options work in pairs.... which could explain one pair acting differently. My guess would be clock is not sync'd or you have an adat intput uncovered..... just a guess.
Adat input "uncovered"? Not sure agin

my Routing is all analog Inputs to all digital outs (Adat + AES) and analog outs

the Firmware on both units is 3.1

I guess it has to do with their power supplies

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search