The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amphion One 18 vs Two 18 for my room Studio Monitors
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear

Amphion One 18 vs Two 18 for my room

Hello,

Just purchased a pair of Amphion One 18's + Amp 500 last week and wondering if I should upgrade to the Two 18's. My room is only 12 x 14 feet. I've read that the One 18s need some distance between them and I currently have my Amphions a little under 5 feet apart. The only way to do this is to put my setup a bit to the left so I'm a bit off center because of a door. Another issue is at a 5 foot equilateral triangle it places my listening position near the center of the room.

Would the Two 18s be too much for my room size? Do they need more distance between them than the one 18s? I have a fair amount of GIK room treatment.

I mostly do electronic music and would like a little more in the low end. I think investing in the baseone25 is too expensive at the moment.

Thanks and I apologize if this has already been answered. I got through 100 pages of the "Amphion Beautiful" post but couldn't get a clear answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Amphion One 18 vs Two 18 for my room-setup.jpg  
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear
I’m new to one18s but to me they have plenty of low end. Actually a surprising amount given the size. I have a bigger room than you, and some mains as well - Quested v3110.
The one18s don’t sound big, we also have some barefoots in the next room, which give you a lot more everything, and the Quested even more again. But the amphions are a great tool, easy to learn, and guide me where I need to go very efficiently. I’d pick them in a desert island scenario.

Not answering your vs. Two18 question but I’d try playing with positioning of your speakers to start off with. I’m not working with mine 5 feet apart for starters, more like 4 feet. And about 2 feet away from the front wall.

I’ve also found sonarworks useful, altho some people don’t prescribe to that approach, it has worked for me - better translation mixes and more low end on playback - win win.

Enjoy your speakers they’re great! Hope someone can chime in re. Two18
Old 12th December 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response! Yeah the One 18s are great but at this level of investment wanted to get the best possible thing for my room.

I was actually able to get a demo pair of Two 18's. They sound amazing but I've noticed the low end seems to be drowning out the mids and highs. For example vocals on one of my mixes on the One 18s sound present but sound muddy on the Two18s. Wondering if its just my room being to small. Wanting to like the Two18s but I feel more confident making decisions with the One18s so far. Only been a couple hours so will keep experimenting.

Any one else have an opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
I’m new to one18s but to me they have plenty of low end. Actually a surprising amount given the size. I have a bigger room than you, and some mains as well - Quested v3110.
The one18s don’t sound big, we also have some barefoots in the next room, which give you a lot more everything, and the Quested even more again. But the amphions are a great tool, easy to learn, and guide me where I need to go very efficiently. I’d pick them in a desert island scenario.

Not answering your vs. Two18 question but I’d try playing with positioning of your speakers to start off with. I’m not working with mine 5 feet apart for starters, more like 4 feet. And about 2 feet away from the front wall.

I’ve also found sonarworks useful, altho some people don’t prescribe to that approach, it has worked for me - better translation mixes and more low end on playback - win win.

Enjoy your speakers they’re great! Hope someone can chime in re. Two18
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Nut

Mix with them and let the results guide you. Are you happy with how they translate? By all means, don't change a thing, spend the money on something else that makes you a better musician.
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

I would get the baseone25 over the two18 upgrade.

The difference between the one18 and two18 are actually pretty small. For what you gain in headroom you lose in focus.

Adding a baseone25 gives you that lower octave which is crucial to modern music.
Old 12th December 2018
Here for the gear

That's actually the exact experience I've been having after demoing the two18. I seem to be losing some of the detail as they are being drowned out by some of the lower frequencies. I think this has more to do with my room than the speaker itself. The one18 has been much tighter and I'm more confident making decisions on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
I would get the baseone25 over the two18 upgrade.

The difference between the one18 and two18 are actually pretty small. For what you gain in headroom you lose in focus.

Adding a baseone25 gives you that lower octave which is crucial to modern music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search