The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dbx 160vu conectors Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
dbx 160vu conectors

Picked up a DBX 160vu compressor. Now, for wiring, I need to make input and output cables, but....... what type of cable? Its balanced. I dont think I can use microphone cable or can I? Certainly not instrument or speaker cable. Needs to be 1/4" at one end ( not sure but I assume TRS so its balanced) and the other open spades to go on the strip/bar on back

Last edited by studioman59; 1 week ago at 10:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman59 View Post
Picked up a DBX 160vu compressor. Now, for wiring, I need to make input and output cables, but....... what type of cable? Its balanced. I dont think I can use microphone cable or can I? Certainly not instrument or speaker cable. Needs to be 1/4" at one end ( not sure but I assume TRS so its balanced) and the other open spades to go on the strip/bar on back
pretty straight forward ... Line Level .. positive, negative, and ground ..

XLR - Pin 1 is Ground / Pin 2 is Positive / Pin 3 is negative (NOTE: if in europe there are cases where Pin 3 is Positive)

TRS - Sleeve is Ground / Tip is Positive / Ring is Negative

same as microphone cable .. if the unit had XLR connectors then you could use microphone cable ..
Attached Thumbnails
dbx 160vu conectors-screen-shot-2018-12-08-2.50.01-pm.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Dave at Studio Electronics has the cables:

Premium Cable Sale 2' Set Mogami Quad/Neutrik 1/4" TS - Lugs Adapter Cables BL22 | eBay

Oops! These are ¼" TS, not TRS...

Last edited by Timothy Powell; 1 week ago at 03:15 AM.. Reason: oops!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Im really asking on the specific cable to be used. I know 3 wire, but all 3 wire are not the same
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Those are nice, but I expected TRS? I thought TRS were balanced, TS not? But I could be wrong. The terminals 160vu are balanced, now the 161vu is unbalanced ( rca plugs). At least so I read on DBX manual. I guess looking at at this I just need education on what balanced and unbalanced is? I assumed TRS ( having the 3 connection points on the 1/4' end) would be balanced. I then assumed unbalanced would be 2 connection points on the 1/4' Tip. I believe I be wrong lol!!

Models
The Model 160 is a fully professional compressor/limiter with a balanced differentia l input, with an automatic ground-loop compensated output (hum resulting from any ground loop at the output is automatical ly sensed and attenuated at least 40dB), and with a special protection circuit that blocks power turn-on and turn-off transients from the output.
The Mode l 161 is nearly the same as the 160, but is priced for the smaller studio, or the semi-pro user. It has
the same advanced rms detection and feed-forward circuitry as Mode l 160, but it lacks turn-on/turn-off transient protection, and ground-loop compensation. The 161's input and output are unbalanced and terminated in RCA-type phono jacks .

Last edited by studioman59; 1 week ago at 03:20 AM.. Reason: add tech notes
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Any decent mic or line level cable will work.
Go within your budget.

Denny
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Mogami Gold 1/4" TRS Male to 1/4" TRS GOLD TRS-TRS-03

here is trs balanced cable, not sure how TRS and TS can both be balanced?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sorry but the 160VU is NOT all balanced, input IS, output is NOT..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
true yes per the manaul . The 161 is unbalanced in and out
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search