The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End 2x2 or 2x4 Interface Options Digital Converters
Old 5 days ago
High End 2x2 or 2x4 Interface Options

I’m looking to get rid of my UA Apollo 16 since I’ve moved into a facility that has a Burl Mothership in the tracking room. I need a simple high end interface for Pro Tools in my mix room, mainly for mixing so D/A quality is a high priority.

Contenders out there seem to be:
Lynx Hilo
Prism Lyra (lots of mixed reviews out there)
Symphony 2x6 (pricey)
RME ADI-2 Pro (does Pro Tools see this as an interface?)

Opinions? Any contenders I left out?

Don’t need monitor controller/talkback functions or mic preamps, etc. Multiple D/As would be nice though so I can feed the rough mix to a separate input on my monitor controller.
Old 4 days ago
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

+1 for the Hilo

If all you need is DA, then for about $250 more than a Hilo, you could get a Burl B2 Dac. Another possibility especially if you want more 2 more channels of D/A is a couple Mytek Stereo96 Dac's each with stereo AES inputs which would run about $1800
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post
I’m looking to get rid of my UA Apollo 16 since I’ve moved into a facility that has a Burl Mothership in the tracking room. I need a simple high end interface for Pro Tools in my mix room, mainly for mixing so D/A quality is a high priority.

Contenders out there seem to be:
Lynx Hilo
Prism Lyra (lots of mixed reviews out there)
Symphony 2x6 (pricey)

Opinions? Any contenders I left out?

Don’t need monitor controller/talkback functions or mic preamps, etc. Multiple D/As would be nice though so I can feed the rough mix to a separate input on my monitor controller.
Besides the rme you mentioned and the hilo, the apogee symphony MK2 with the new 2x6 SE might be indeed be another valid option.

Although I'd seriously look into the Metric Halo lio-8, converters only version of the uln-8, with the new 3d card which makes them virtually futureproof and the nice discount at the moment is imho a no brainer.. Plus you get 8 I/O and all the bells and whistles, for basically the same price as the competition.

The DA converters of the MH is very good.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Besides the rme you mentioned and the hilo, the apogee symphony MK2 with the new 2x6 SE might be indeed be another valid option.

Although I'd seriously look into the Metric Halo lio-8, converters only version of the uln-8, with the new 3d card which makes them virtually futureproof and the nice discount at the moment is imho a no brainer.. Plus you get 8 I/O and all the bells and whistles, for basically the same price as the competition.

The DA converters of the MH is very good.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Metric Halo has always looked cool. FireWire is a big disadvantage though for me.
Old 4 days ago
Ah, just saw that MH have USB-C now. Now that's interesting. Definitely a contender.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, just saw that MH have USB-C now. Now that's interesting. Definitely a contender.
Exactly. The 3d card.
And even more interesting than that is the fact that you could connect it through an ethernet cable, which might be even more futureproof than the usb connection, and bandwith is no more a limiting issue at any track count (although you have only 8, and this is not an issue with usb either, IF the drivers are well done).

In case you think at expanding your chain with analog pieces, you still have several outputs (and inputs) for that..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Solaris

just for DA conversion the Crane Song Solaris is pretty darn amazing,
two sets of outputs, a headphone amp and works as a USB interface as well...

it has the best conversion i've heard so far, and the pricing isn't terrible at all,
can't wait to hear the ADC he's working on!

cheers,

U
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uijui View Post

it has the best conversion i've heard so far, and the pricing isn't terrible at all,

cheers,

U
+1
True, the Solaris is stellar and it's highly raccomended too!

(The interstellar AD, should be exactly the same as their hedd 192 quantum).. Stellar piece indeed, and avalaible at a reasonable amount..

Cheu
Old 4 days ago
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
2 analogue inputs, 2 analogue outputs, AES and S/P-dif in PT I/O if that helps.
Old 3 days ago
Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uijui View Post

cheers,

U
I will also up vote the Solaris. Wish I had one!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Had Hilo and moved to Symphony MkII.

Also heard Pure 2, Metric halo, Eclipse 384 all in the same room, none of them beat Symphony Mk II in the term of transient, clarity, depth, dynamic range, details.

To me, Hilo was the second followed by Halo. It(Hilo) sounds more natural than Metric Halo to my ears in the term of timbre. They both have flat frequency response but, Halo sounds more butter-y, if it makes sense.

Pure 2 has more beef on the lo-mid range though. Thought it would be great for EDM but I think Hilo was more balanced.

FYI Symphony Mk II 8x8 and 26SE sounds also different.

26SE sounds more bright, has better dynamic range in both DA and AD, and wide stereo image compared to 8X8, but I think it is because of different phase response between L and R channel.
It sounded to me, Phase response slightly changes as frequency goes up. (I don't have any gear to test and prove it. It is my personal feeling).

DON'T GET ME WRONG, it is not super different as freaking "HI-FI" speakers and DACs, which make mono signal sounds like "stereo" (due to different phase of L, R). Very very subtle as if signals went through the summing mixer.
You really have to compare both of them in the same room switching quickly.

You have to ask demo products of them and test them.

ps. I have a 26SE loopback file if you want to listen.

Last edited by Darkray707; 3 days ago at 04:34 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tpqls View Post

I am certainly interested. Maybe if you happen to have both 2x6SE AND MKII 8X8 loopback file that would be even more amazing!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by idmmer417 View Post
I am certainly interested. Maybe if you happen to have both 2x6SE AND MKII 8X8 loopback file that would be even more amazing!

Sent PM
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tpqls View Post

Also heard Pure 2, Metric halo, Eclipse 384 all in the same room, none of them beat Symphony Mk II in the term of transient, clarity, depth, dynamic range, details.

To me, Hilo was the second followed by Halo. It(Hilo) sounds more natural than Metric Halo to my ears in the term of timbre. They both have flat frequency response but, Halo sounds more butter-y, if it makes sense.

Pure 2 has more beef on the lo-mid range though. Thought it would be great for EDM but I think Hilo was more balanced.

FYI Symphony Mk II 8x8 and 26SE sounds also different.

26SE sounds more bright, has better dynamic range in both DA and AD, and wide stereo image compared to 8X8, but I think it is because of different phase response between L and R channel.
It sounded to me, Phase response slightly changes as frequency goes up. (I don't have any gear to test and prove it. It is my personal feeling).

DON'T GET ME WRONG, it is not super different as freaking "HI-FI" speakers and DACs, which make mono signal sounds like "stereo" (due to different phase of L, R). Very very subtle as if signals went through the summing mixer.
You really have to compare both of them in the same room switching quickly.

You have to ask demo products of them and test them.

So you ended up with the 2x6SE? I’d love to hear the loopback tests you have. Thanks for the info.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search