The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you still consider that using OTB outweighs the costs of it? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
...maybe because I charge for recalls, I don't wind up doing very many, I do some.
Totally! If recalls are free they will ask for recalls all day, every day, forever... then you're gonna want instant recalls ITB, and your job will be recall man, not mix engineer. Sounds insane.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
there is, for quite some time actually: from 'digital' mics to digital desks to daw/recorders (and back) on to 'digital' speakers - good times!
Please show me a mic made from 01s and 00s.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Please show me a mic made from 01s and 00s.
available from neumann, sennheiser and schoeps - most widely known possibly the neumann solution d series (i got six mics in use).

see also rme's mic 'preamp' for digital mics and check out aes specs (aes42) - if i remember right, there are some threads here on gs (or at least several posts) dealing with the topic.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 20th December 2018 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: info added
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
available from neumann, sennheiser and schoeps - most widely known possibly the neumann solution d series (i got six mics in use).

see also rme's mic 'preamp' for digital mics and check out aes specs (aes42).
All I can find is analogue mics with a built in mic pre and AD converter.
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
All I can find is analogue mics with a built in mic pre and AD converter.
Transducers are not actually analogue. The signal that comes out of them is analogue. (Meaning that the signal carried is analogous to the sound it represents). So yes there will be a tiny section of analogue wire between the transducer and the AD converter but the output is digital hence them being called digital microphones.

Alistair
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Transducers are not actually analogue. The signal that comes out of them is analogue. (Meaning that the signal carried is analogous to the sound it represents). So yes there will be a tiny section of analogue wire between the transducer and the AD converter but the output is digital hence them being called digital microphones.

Alistair
Yes, transducers convert from one element to another. The capsule takes an acoustic sound and converts it to an electronic (analogue) signal. The AD takes takes analogue into the digital realm. I'm impressed that there are AD converters that can convert the tiny voltage of a mic capsule into a usable signal without an analogue pre amp first. Just because they can stuff it all into the mic housing doesn't make it a digital mic, no matter what they call it.
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just because they can stuff it all into the mic housing doesn't make it a digital mic, no matter what they call it.
Nor are mics analogue by that logic but that is not what is meant by the term. The word digital (or analogue) refers to the output signal in this case.

Alistair
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Nor are mics analogue by that logic but that is not what is meant by the term. The word digital (or analogue) refers to the output signal in this case.

Alistair
this!

and the question was whether there is a digital signal path from mic output to speaker input (and the answer to this is yes)
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
this!

and the question was whether there is a digital signal path from mic output to speaker input (and the answer to this is yes)
Yes, but the signal before the output and after the input is analogue.
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
there is, for quite some time actually: from 'digital' mics to digital desks to daw/recorders (and back) on to 'digital' speakers - good times!
When I said “isn’t yet there” I meant quality of sound.

Digital mics into digital boards, or however else you hook it up, straight into the daw forever just doesn’t sound as good yet.

It might be more than passable for certain genres, but if you were working on the next Derek trucks album for example, it would be lacking a certain bit of character
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_moreira View Post
When I said “isn’t yet there” I meant quality of sound.

Digital mics into digital boards, or however else you hook it up, straight into the daw forever just doesn’t sound as good yet.

It might be more than passable for certain genres, but if you were working on the next Derek trucks album for example, it would be lacking a certain bit of character
'not sound as good yet'? 'character'?! could it be that you never sat down on a high quality digital desk? or are you saying that the digital versions of the neumann mics must be of inferior quality? could you tell which music one should better mix through some analog gear? oh wait, there is a tabla: one should better... and when listening to some music, could you tell what technique was used at which stage of the recording/mixing/mastering process?

get a grip! and gear is genre agnostic...

nothing wrong with (some) analog: i have one studio with all but analog gear and of course i get a somewhat specific sound when tracking/mixing there - the thing is though that i can get that sound with my digital gear too (while i cannot get my analog gear to sound the same as when using an all digital signal path)!
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

With “digital” mics the weak links are the mic pre if it has one and the A to D converter. Look at how much space a quality stand alone unit of those functions takes up. How good can just the clocking circuit be in the space of a mic and what about the interference from the close proximity of the other circuits? If you need a mic to hookup to a laptop for some compact down and dirty recording then the “digital” saves you from bringing more gear. If you want a quality chain then stick to the tried and true.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

rubbish - look up the neumann solution d series: they mostly get used for über critical recording of classical music...

(but yes, they rend some of my highly expensive mic pres and a/d converters useless!)
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
'not sound as good yet'? 'character'?! could it be that you never sat down on a high quality digital desk? or are you saying that the digital versions of the neumann mics must be of inferior quality? could you tell which music one should better mix through some analog gear? oh wait, there is a tabla: one should better... and when listening to some music, could you tell what technique was used at which stage of the recording/mixing/mastering process?

get a grip! and gear is genre agnostic...

nothing wrong with (some) analog: i have one studio with all but analog gear and of course i get a somewhat specific sound when tracking/mixing there - the thing is though that i can get that sound with my digital gear too (while i cannot get my analog gear to sound the same as when using an all digital signal path)!
No it’s based on doing this stuff for years and actually being all digital first before embracing analog.

I think I already said it in here but I’m not some 1970s purist who is simply resisting change.

I’m not opposed to digital at all. It just doesn’t sound as good.

I’ve been through all of it. Even the instrument amp modelers. The kempers and axe fx and everything in between

It just isn’t all the way there yet.

It has its place and I’m happy to employ it over the course of a project. But it’s not replacing any of my good stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search