The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam sa-4000 vs. Alan Smart c1
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

Stam sa-4000 vs. Alan Smart c1

Hey, so bought a Stam a little while ago and love it. I think it sounds great, this it lives on the mix bus. Since I have bought it though I’ve upgraded my mixing equipment (drastically) to the point where I’m asking myself - ‘although this compressor is great, is there something out there still better’ (better in MY situation meaning: more authentically replicated/better parts on the inside/more high-fi....you know....the typical slutty questions). So I picked the c1 to narrow down the discussion a little as it appears to be the closest/same box as an original g series ssl compressor, although if there is something better out there feel free to add it to the discussion. All in all, really just looking for the closest box out there to the SSL and wondering if it would be a worthy investment myself as I have heard the SSL desk and not a C1 or for that matter, any other replication of said SSL compressor. Thx!
Old 1st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelando View Post
Hey, so bought a Stam a little while ago and love it. I think it sounds great, this it lives on the mix bus. Since I have bought it though I’ve upgraded my mixing equipment (drastically) to the point where I’m asking myself - ‘although this compressor is great, is there something out there still better’ (better in MY situation meaning: more authentically replicated/better parts on the inside/more high-fi....you know....the typical slutty questions). So I picked the c1 to narrow down the discussion a little as it appears to be the closest/same box as an original g series ssl compressor, although if there is something better out there feel free to add it to the discussion. All in all, really just looking for the closest box out there to the SSL and wondering if it would be a worthy investment myself as I have heard the SSL desk and not a C1 or for that matter, any other replication of said SSL compressor. Thx!
Check out the Stam SA4000 MK2. They've gone as far as replicating the original DBX 202C VCA, plus other updates and mods etc.

Stam Audio

You already own a great SSL comp though, the % gains (unless you want the mods) might not be worth the cost.

Another option is the Obsidian. Not used it myself, but people here seem to never let them go.

Edit: if you really want to spend some cash, check the Vertigo VSC-2 out. Amazing VCA.

Last edited by b0se; 1st December 2018 at 10:27 PM..
Old 28th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelando View Post
Did you eventually get the C1? Curious how both compare.
Old 14th January 2020
FWIW: I got myself a Smart C1, scored a good deal secondhand. I find it's way better than the Stam and the closest to the classic SSL sound. I also have the SSL X-Rack and a Neko clone. The Neko nails that “new“ SSL sound of the X-Rack which is a little more hifi. The Smart is my fav, though, a little less hifi, and I love its dual mono compression character. The Stam will go, the rest will stay.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
FWIW: I got myself a Smart C1, scored a good deal secondhand. I find it's way better than the Stam and the closest to the classic SSL sound. I also have the SSL X-Rack and a Neko clone. The Neko nails that “new“ SSL sound of the X-Rack which is a little more hifi. The Smart is my fav, though, a little less hifi, and I love its dual mono compression character. The Stam will go, the rest will stay.
Hey mate, did you make any comparison recordings with your stuff? I have Stam SA4000 MK2 and would be happy to run your source through it to compare.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily111 View Post
Hey mate, did you make any comparison recordings with your stuff? I have Stam SA4000 MK2 and would be happy to run your source through it to compare.
I did. I also started a blindout shootout around here between hardware and plugins.

SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse)

This was long before I got the C1, though. Anyway, thanx for the offer, but I don't think I need to hear it as I'm happy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I did. I also started a blindout shootout around here between hardware and plugins.

SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse)

This was long before I got the C1, though. Anyway, thanx for the offer, but I don't think I need to hear it as I'm happy.
That is a great contribution to the community, thank you for posting this!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is a great contribution to the community, thank you for posting this!
Indeed, I cancelled my Stam order due to this blind shootout.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Indeed, I cancelled my Stam order due to this blind shootout.
IMO, making a purchase decision based on one blind test for me would probably be too much :D The units like compressors are non-linear, work differently on different source materials with different settings and so on. While it is definitely interesting and valuable to check how they compare in one particular scenario, I truly believe you need to spend some time with the device to listen carefully in your situation and music context.

Btw, I've been using my SA 4000 MK2 for a couple of months, and very happy with it in the context of my music, which is mostly in melodic metal genre: it gives that pure glue and punch with analog vibe, exactly what I was looking for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO, making a purchase decision based on one blind test for me would probably be too much The units like compressors are non-linear, work differently on different source materials with different settings and so on. While it is definitely interesting and valuable to check how they compare in one particular scenario, I truly believe you need to spend time with the device to listen carefully in your situation.

Btw, I've been using my SA 4000 MK2 for a couple of months, and very happy with it in the context of my music... it is a pure glue and punch with that analog vibe, exactly what I was looking for.
The Stam (MK1 in the test) was my least favourite by some margin, it wasn't worth the risk. I was also frustrated by Stam's service and ended up with an AudioScape, which pairs perfectly with the Silver Bullet (negates any need of Neve/API mod in the Stam).

Glad you're happy though, each to their own.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The Stam (MK1 in the test) was my least favourite by some margin, it wasn't worth the risk. I was also frustrated by Stam's service and ended up with an AudioScape, which pairs perfectly with the Silver Bullet (negates any need of Neve/API mod in the Stam).

Glad you're happy though, each to their own.
Yeah, it took a look of time to get it delivered, but in my case they were responsive and I was patient, which helped :D They are getting much better with the delivery time now.

Btw, I've just run the test song through my SA4000MK2 and posted it there. If you are interested, feel free to check out: SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, it took a look of time to get it delivered, but in my case they were responsive and I was patient, which helped :D They are getting much better with the delivery time now.

Btw, I've just run the test song through my SA4000MK2 and posted it there. If you are interested, feel free to check out: SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse)
Thanks, will do so! Interested to hear those 202cs :¬)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search