The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Desk used to record Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven up for sale Consoles
Old 28th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Will probably sell for $3-4 Million or perhaps as high as $8 million.

Chinese "collector" dontchaknow. Will use with "revered" Swiss tape recorder. Will get to press the music button.

Many people could easily pay that much and not break a sweat.

I agree with the commentary about the rather unspecialness of the Helios modules, old and new
Yeah having had a bunch of vintage and new modules the pres were kinda dark
Some say vintage ..phooey I say..they didn’t have the detail and capture my other stuff has.
Adding the eq was key,especially the mid range and hi’s.
Old 28th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Yeah I’m guilty too.
some of the magic records from my youth.
But in reality (contrary to all the marketing b*llsh*t)we all know it’s the desk mics tape machines engineer artist room etc etc blah blah
Indeed.
Old 28th November 2018
I really love Helios eq. The upper midrange is something special. But the preamps are only ok. Certainly more than capable of delivering great results, but not the sort of thing that makes you say "whoa".
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Well i found a link to the one I used..
Townhouse Studios - Wikipedia. I was getting confused there..no jokes please lol
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Well i found a link to the one I used..
Townhouse Studios - Wikipedia. I was getting confused there..no jokes please lol
Hey Mike, that is the old “Big Brownie” Helios Console, the last one Dick built and it sounds great. Joe DeMaio owns it and it’s at his Shorefire Studio in NJ. It was at the Helios listening party and came in at number two soundwise if I recall. Joe is a great guy and great engineer.
Shorefire - History

We had 11 different modules there that day. The best sounding modules were the Olympic modules.

Some modules just sounded horrible, no highs, muffled sound, congested in the low mids. Dick experimented every time he built a new desk... except for those 3 Olympic consoles.

I should really post all the files of the recordings we did that day. I had Ken McKim build the special switcher that we could switch between all 11 preamp modules while the three-piece band played it in the other room, just so we could record continuously. Hell even Eddie Kramer flew in from Tel Aviv just to handle the recording that day. I should really find those files...
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks man..wow memories..yeah I remember deep rich wood like high grad furniture, the minute I put the mic up I was blown away by how creamy it sounded but how I could carve the eq if needed..I'm going to hit your links..I'd love to see it I'm not that far from it
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

That’s Joe sitting in the white T shirt...

Give Joe a call Mike, he’s a good friend. He’d gladly give you the tour...
Attached Thumbnails
Desk used to record Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven up for sale-4501b5ab-763f-452c-ab01-600c15086feb.jpeg   Desk used to record Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven up for sale-6cd20c22-a821-4ff1-b2f8-71b115b66ee2.jpeg  
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Here ya go....
A quote from Tony Arnold...(RIP)

"In September 1997, I had to visit Helioscentric Studios, to diagnose problems in the Helios Console housed there.
It was a real mess, an engineer had tried to interface one of the early Island Desks with the Ex Alvin Lee Console. It was tragic, we managed to get the desk working, to enable track laying, but it still had many problems, time was booked for us to return to complete the work, but before we left I took the opportunity to fit two of the new Type 69 alongside 18 of the originals, this would give every engineer/producer using the Helios the opportunity to compare the old with the new.
When we returned some weeks later, we were asked could we completely re-build the desk with all of our New Mic/EQ’s, plus new Grouper/Aux Modules and a complete new 48 Channel Monitor Section.
The original Mic/EQ’s that came from the Desk went to collectors in the USA, they were sold within one week.
Dick was ill at this time, but was very anxious to see the first new Helios Consul since 1979, but sadly Dick Swettenham passed away in the April of that year, the Industry owes him a gratitude for his contributions, he did everything he could to improve the quality of music recording, he never wished for financial gain, neither did he have any ego problems, he was a modest man, with a love for music, he had two assets, one was a technicians brain the other a musicians mind, I have met many Technical Designers in my 50 years in the Music Business, most have had that image that I have learnt to expect, but when Dick Swettenham walked into my workshop he looked more like a Rock Musician than a technician, but when we got talking I immediately understood why his Console’s were desired by musicians all over the world. Having now purchased the original registered company, Helios Electronics Ltd, I only hope that I can continue his work as well as he did.
We are at this moment doing the final tests, to come up with the full Technical Specifications on our new product the Helios 1U Twin Type 69 Rack EQ.
I have also enclosed a Web-Link to helioscentric studios, the Studio using one of our refurbished original Helios Desks, but utilising our own new type 69 EQ’s and Grouper Module’s as well as two of our 24 Channel Monitor Desks.
This desk was purposely re-built for Elvis Costello, and Paul Weller named an album after it"
http://www.helioscentric.co.uk
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
That’s Joe sitting in the white T shirt...

Give Joe a call Mike, he’s a good friend. He’d gladly give you the tour...
Thanks my friend ...great pics...now to find out what neve was at eel pie lol...def gonna hit him up and get over after the holidays

EDIT called him ..nice guy we crossed paths before ..small world..going up after holidays

Last edited by Sigma; 28th November 2018 at 05:00 PM..
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Heritage was removed. Now the auction is exposed as a fantasy and a myth.

Still, suckers will be drawn in.
Old 28th November 2018
Gear Maniac

That's sad news about Tony Arnold - I had missed this.. RIP...

About the auction - perhaps the recent 'success' of the Abbey Road TG console (auctioned for $1.8M) is a motivation?

(bigger bux for the historic connection)

How Pink Floyd's recording console become the most expensive in history
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

There seems to be an assumption somewhere in all this that the recording of "Stairway to Heaven" sound good ?

Can't say I hear anything in it that makes me say "wow I really want that console"
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

To paraphrase Louis Armstrong...
"All music is folk music, i never heard no console sing no song."
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

Realistically what does this price it at given the original magic and mojo has been parted out?

Sure the line amps are there but come on wecknuw the money is in the sold modules.

Wiggy
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Realistically what does this price it at given the original magic and mojo has been parted out?

Sure the line amps are there but come on wecknuw the money is in the sold modules.

Wiggy
Well I’m sure it’s in the best interests of the broker’s (pocketbook) involved in the sale to play up the whole historical thing
But reality is it’s a console with mostly new electronics being sold likely at a vintage museum collectors price.

I’ve been had in the past by greedy shady vintage equipment brokers bulls***
Like back when blue microphones were trying to sell vintage u47’s for top dollar not disclosing that the original tube and transformers were swapped out for nuvister etc.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 30th November 2018 at 02:10 AM..
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
It should be priced accordingly with that in mind.

It should affect the value purely from a historical/collectible vantage point (which is the x-factor for it being exorbitantly priced). If it doesn't, it'll probably say something about either the gullibility or ignorance of the buyer.
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
No I heard the Townhouse console is in a studio in New Jersey?
The console up for auction is a Frankenstein they built from a basing frame and Alvin Lees frame.
I bought Led Zeppelins SSL 1983 4000E 3 years ago, wow what a console!!
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

I hope for full transparency that Bonhams disclose this fact.
Id be mightily farked off as a client paying 25% premium plus 20% of that premium for a half truth console.

The emi is another similar case yet no one has made aftermarket modules for console or racks like Tony did, so the probability of this occurring is virtually impossible.

Sadly like someone has said it’ll be a UHNW buyer who’s unlikely to question the provenance as the sellers broker reputation is solid and they’re unlikely to do thorough Due diligence on both sides. Kinda like finding the holy grail and realising that only one half is completely original and leaves you wondering which side JC sipped from ... the real original side or the re-issued one!

Last edited by Wiggy Neve Slut; 30th November 2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

In reply to the now sold Helioscentric console comments. I was at the Bonhams sale for old times sake having spent a considerable amount of the latter part of 1997 manufacturing as sub contractor to Tony/Chris Difford the new central frame of the console and the monitor mixers. Really proud of the end result as a project This include the routing modules (groupers in Tony's mind) adding a decent patch bay and reverse engineering the central monitoring area which required much patience. Amplifier racks to accommodate the mixing amps and all outputs to the console rear. Active mixing using Helios amplifiers was incorporated Finally providing a hand book for the console.
In later years I and my staff overhauled the original modules, cleaning switches etc. and ultimately fitted the Issue 1 69 modules. Those modules now fitted with Raindirk Lustraphone microphone transformers.
Worked with Tony for quite a period and actually manufactured the first 10 dual 69 rack modules.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search