The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Tube Cable Brand & Length
Old 23rd November 2018
Best Tube Cable Brand & Length

Hi
I can’t find anything specific so asking here.

I know Grimm cables are the best for mic & aes.
What about for a Tube Cable.

For a 47 clone.
And what is the optimum length?
Practical length without losing to much quality.
Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Not sure I agree with you about designating a microphone cable - any cable - as "the best". There are few parameters this industry has agreed on as being objective, therefore comparable.

One of them is RF rejection. It can be fairly tested, without injecting personal bias, and so far nothing has surpassed the double Reussen layer shield configuration for rejecting extraneous noise creeping into the mic's signal. Double Reussen layer mic cables were offered first in the 1960s by Neumann, which sourced them from Dörfler Kabelwerk in Austria. This cable later was exclusively marketed by EMT in Switzerland.

Fast forward to today: aside of some pretty bad Chinese copies (inferior strand count, inferior copper quality, inferior jacketing) the only legitimate company which still makes these cables to the original formula and quality is Gotham Switzerland (with a factory now located in Turkey). The product is distributed in the U.S. by Gotham Audio. Gotham's GAC 7 is the seven conductor plus shield tube mic cable, It is used by major boutique mic manufacturers. I commissioned it also to be used for the Brauner KHE,and exclusively use it for my modification projects, both solid state and tube.

When it comes to sound, opinions of course differ. I personally prefer this tube mic cable to others because of its relatively neutral timbre, lacking the midrange congestion and glassy high end of some others on the market. But I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Klaus; 23rd November 2018 at 11:04 AM..
Old 23rd November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Not sure I agree with you about designating a microphone cable - any cable - as "the best". There are few parameters this industry has agreed on as being objective, therefore comparable.

One of them is RF rejection. It can be fairly tested, without injecting personal bias, and so far nothing has surpassed the double Reussen layer shield configuration for rejecting extraneous noise creeping into the mic's signal. Double Reussen layer mic cables were offered first in the 1960s by Neumann, which sourced them from Dörfler Kabelwerk in Austria. This cable later was exclusively marketed by EMT in Switzerland.

Fast forward to today: aside of some pretty bad Chinese copies (inferior strand count, inferior copper quality, inferior jacketing) the only legitimate company which still makes these cables to the original formula and quality is Gotham Switzerland (with a factory now located in Turkey). The product is distributed in the U.S. by Gotham Audio. Gotham's GAC 7 is the seven conductor plus shield tube mic cable, It is used by major boutique mic manufacturers. I commissioned it also to be used for the Brauner KHE,and exclusively use it for my modification projects, both solid state and tube.

When it comes to sound, opinions of course differ. I personally prefer this tube mic cable to others because of its relatively neutral timbre, lacking the midrange congestion and glassy high end of some others on the market. But I'll leave it at that.
Wonderful informative post
Thankyou.
What length?
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
What length?
2*pi meters is the perfect length.

Seriously though, should it matter? How long do you need your cable line to be?
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
What length?

I have found no adverse effects on the sound of a high quality mic if I keep the length of the mic cable to 30ft, or less.
Old 23rd November 2018
Quote:
I have found no adverse effects on the sound of a high quality mic if I keep the length of the mic cable to 30ft, or less.
Awesome
Thankyou.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

better question, what is the mic and how long does the cable need to be FOR YOU
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I use Sommer tube mic cable strictly due to the way it rolls... Yes I’m that petty, but when you’re doing it for a dozen mics, daily, that’s pretty much the most important thing to me, along with durability. Sound, unfortunately, comes in third for me in this case. I wish I liked the way Gotham’s tube mic cable rolled and would certainly be what I use otherwise, but I don’t. Yes, it drives me up the wall that much. I can say the same thing for Mogami mic cable.
Old 24th November 2018
I like the 15ft Accusound AT-7.
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I was going to chime in with suggesting Gotham cable & I see an authority like Klaus has weighed in with information & details I wasn't even aware of (!)...

I'd say go with the Gotham... I outfitted my old studio with Gotham cable (multicore & non-GAC7 mic cable) and I was really happy with the quality vs price ratio.

It seems to me that Gotham cable is less on people's radar screens due to less PR & advertising than other cables companies. Overall easily in the same league as other 'big name' outfits & the shielding would seem to surpass what anyone else has to offer.

I had no issues with cable winding & liked the look and tactile feel of the mic cable (I had GAC3 though)..
Old 24th November 2018
Decided on 6m of Gotham GAC7
Thanks all.
Old 24th November 2018
Lives for gear

Final thought:

Make sure you terminate the cable's conductors correctly: the two thicker conductors, red and blue, should be assigned to heater and ground, respectively. And cable shield and ground (blue) should be tied together and terminated on BOTH connectors to the ground pins and connector housings.

You can also ease future identification of conductor functions by terminating conductors along Neumann's color scheme:

Audio (+) = White
Audio (-) = Black or Brown
Ground = Blue
Heater Voltage = Red
B+ Voltage = Yellow
Variable Polarization Voltage = Green
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE201 View Post
I had no issues with cable winding & liked the look and tactile feel of the mic cable (I had GAC3 though)..
Yes GAC3 winds great; GAC7, no.
Old 25th November 2018
Quote:
Final thought:

Make sure you terminate the cable's conductors correctly: the two thicker conductors, red and blue, should be assigned to heater and ground, respectively. And cable shield and ground (blue) should be tied together and terminated on BOTH connectors to the ground pins and connector housings.

You can also ease future identification of conductor functions by terminating conductors along Neumann's color scheme:

Audio (+) = White
Audio (-) = Black or Brown
Ground = Blue
Heater Voltage = Red
B+ Voltage = Yellow
Variable Polarization Voltage = Green
Brilliant.
Thanks again.
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Maniac

while on the subject, can anyone translate the Altec m11 termination using this cable? i recently acquire NOS Cannon connectors but havent got the cable yet. They are 8 pin xlrs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search